Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dented chain stay help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Dented chain stay help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-22, 02:54 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 36 Posts
Dented chain stay help

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik...431280694.html

hello folks,

Does the dented chain stay look bad to you? Could this be repaired and covered with a chain stay protector? Just left as is? Or avoided all together?
Old 02-05-22, 03:00 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,174 Posts
-----

link generates "expired" message

-----
Old 02-05-22, 03:01 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
The listing says "This posting has expired"

There are a few types of chainstay "dents". Some are normal.

Near the chainrings, there may be chainstay indents from the factory for chainring clearance. Or, perhaps put in on steel frames by the owners, These likely are inconsequential.

Likewise, they indents can be put on the tire side for tire clearance.

Also there can be some indents around the rear freewheel/cassette.

More concerning might be dents midway along the chainstays that is not mirrored on both sides. This could indicate a rear triangle alignment issue.

Also, look for deep scratches in some frame materials due to the chain getting stuck.
Old 02-05-22, 03:04 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Ok, looks like in a matter of minutes seller stopped responding and maybe sold the bike or had a change of heart.

Thanks though
Old 02-05-22, 03:55 PM
twolve

Never mind, still for sale. How does this look?
Old 02-05-22, 07:23 PM
twolve

Not sure if this helps see it more
Old 02-05-22, 07:34 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,678 Times in 2,607 Posts
Looks pretty minor to me from that angle.
Old 02-05-22, 09:31 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Agreed, would have no qualms about riding it.

Looks like a weight-weenie build, with matching red anodized aluminum aftermarket bolts and spoke nipples, and American Classic cranks. Syncros stem and White front hub, King rear. Really cool, right up my alley, probably worth the price for just the components. Probably has some Ti stuff hidden in there (BB? pedals?), that would be true to form. I never did trust those alloy crank bolts, though. Would swap out for Ti so if a crank comes loose on a ride you can just tighten it.

Seller spells Syncros wrong even though it's written on the stem. Pedals is spelled as "petals" also. Seat is not in any pics. Thief? Probably not, too earnest and sincere an ad. But reads as somewhat ignorant, or at least a person having trouble posting from a cell phone, and not taking the trouble to proofread. Kind of a lazy or half-hearted ad, if I'm being honest. That may explain the price, which seems low for something so nice. Go get it!! BUT, don't be surprised if the seller flakes on you, or if you have to conform to their schedule in order to set up a test ride!

Last edited by scarlson; 02-05-22 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-05-22, 09:36 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
No problem ....ride it !
Old 02-05-22, 10:00 PM
twolve

Originally Posted by scarlson
Agreed, would have no qualms about riding it.

Looks like a weight-weenie build, with matching red anodized aluminum aftermarket bolts and spoke nipples, and American Classic cranks. Syncros stem and White front hub, King rear. Really cool, right up my alley, probably worth the price for just the components. Probably has some Ti stuff hidden in there (BB? pedals?), that would be true to form. I never did trust those alloy crank bolts, though. Would swap out for Ti so if a crank comes loose on a ride you can just tighten it.

Seller spells Syncros wrong even though it's written on the stem. Pedals is spelled as "petals" also. Seat is not in any pics. Thief? Probably not, too earnest and sincere an ad. But reads as somewhat ignorant, or at least a person having trouble posting from a cell phone, and not taking the trouble to proofread. Kind of a lazy or half-hearted ad, if I'm being honest. That may explain the price, which seems low for something so nice. Go get it!! BUT, don't be surprised if the seller flakes on you, or if you have to conform to their schedule in order to set up a test ride!
Thanks for all the info, everyone. This is pretty different than what I’m normally after, so the feedback on the bike and the dent is helpful. N+1 ftw!
Likes For twolve:
Old 02-05-22, 10:46 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
While this is an oval chainstay there, I have removed similar dents from round section stays.

while the word of advice in The Graduate was plastics, my word is coupling nuts, in this case probably 5mm or 10-24? Maybe8-32
you build up a rod with them and set screws, extend it down the one nearest I used a 1/2 round slotted head fastener, tap it back and get it worked out. I used a 1/4 x1" bar to insert through the bottom bracket.be patient
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-06-22, 08:47 PM
twolve

Quick update before I make a proper thread someday: I bought the bike today, the dent does not look too bad and it had lots of cool extras, including a matching white industries rear wheel. The seller was a nice fellow, the original owner. He worked for bicycling
magazine when they profiled Evans and then ordered the Hedgehog Roadhog (love the name) custom from him.
Likes For twolve:
Old 02-06-22, 10:34 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
Just needs a Campy decal.
Old 02-06-22, 10:37 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
While this is an oval chainstay there, I have removed similar dents from round section stays.

while the word of advice in The Graduate was plastics, my word is coupling nuts, in this case probably 5mm or 10-24? Maybe8-32
you build up a rod with them and set screws, extend it down the one nearest I used a 1/2 round slotted head fastener, tap it back and get it worked out. I used a 1/4 x1" bar to insert through the bottom bracket.be patient
Huh? Sounds interesting but I don't understand what you're saying here. Would you mind trying to explain your method again? I do know what coupling nuts are. Thanks.
Old 02-07-22, 05:10 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobbiano
Huh? Sounds interesting but I don't understand what you're saying here. Would you mind trying to explain your method again? I do know what coupling nuts are. Thanks.
I think he means put a short bit (coupling nut with a rounded end - "half-round slotted-head fastener") into the opening of the chainstay inside the bb shell, put a setscrew into the empty end, put another coupling nut on that; and so on. As the rod gets built it pushes the rounded end into the chainstay; when it's tight up to the dent he levers a bar against the inside of the shell and the bit of the rod sticking out of the chainstay into the shell.

It'd be a lot of fiddly work and sizing the rod-end to the chainstay ID could be tricky. That size dent I probably wouldn't bother with anything more than paint.
Old 02-07-22, 07:10 AM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Ahh, I get it. Actually, given the pieces involved, that's kind of what I was thinking, but it seemed kind of impossible. I was wondering if something like that would work on chainstay crush from a kickstand. Seems like it would take a lot of pressure to push those dents out.
Old 02-07-22, 10:19 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobbiano
the bottom bracket shell is only 1.3" ID, so a string of coupling nuts gets you to the dent region, held together with allen key threaded set screws, extend them down and gently tap away, it was easier for me as the chainstay was round/oval/round.
they are removed one at a time.
Likes For repechage: