Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.2

Old 05-13-22, 06:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,276 Times in 7,225 Posts
I had forgotten all about it until I saw the package on the floor in our suite.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-13-22, 06:38 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Pea green? C’mon now, there had to be better colors than that. Live a little.
Old 05-13-22, 07:24 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I had forgotten all about it until I saw the package on the floor in our suite.

One of my most favorite colors
Old 05-13-22, 07:27 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

First off, I had forgotten the Giro is on. Then I got to the site and saw that it's actually an interesting stage. But the signal is so bad that I find myself here, and other places and listening in on the rare occasions that the video is running. No better on the phone. It's interesting, this site has three different feeds, two of which are blocked this morning. They come and they go, usually there are two active. There appears to be a constant cat and mouse game between those trying to block and those trying to play.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 05-13-22 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-13-22, 07:30 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Good news/bad news.

Good news is Heidi made it home safely.

Bad news: she forgot to test herself yesterday like we asked, so we did it just now:

Ugh.

We we’re around someone suffering from”allergies” last Friday for several hours. He ended up testing + but nobody at dinner with has got it. His spouse has not as well- this is a strange disease. Wife and I have had multiple close contact exposures and never tested positive. Proof that vaccines work I guess.
Old 05-13-22, 07:30 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13637 Post(s)
Liked 4,446 Times in 2,468 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Shakedown cruise tonight on the newly rebuild Litespeed. First impressions - quiet! Nothing quite like a new chain on new chanrings and a new cassette!

Shifting in the rear seems as good as the 7410 DA, better than the 7000 series 105 on the Canyon. Shifting from small to large chainrings is pretty much immediate and quiet, BUT requires significant force on the lever. The brakes work great. The crank is not as pretty as the 7410 crank, but it's not too bad. Slightly wider Q-factor - like 3mm - but I'm not sure I'd notice.

So, a lot like the old kit, but with more gears, just like I wanted. At one point I was going up a little rise and I looked back at the cassette and thought, "I thought I'd have lower gears here", then I realized I was in the 53, not the 39 as I'd thought.

I seem to have set the STIs higher than I intended, but I was able to scooch them down to 'tips level with end of bar' when I got home. Unfortunately, not only was it windy AF out, but also my legs just didn't seem to have it tonight. Maybe 3 days layoff is too much!

Here's the promised picture:
Super Nice
Likes For rjones28:
Old 05-13-22, 07:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,276 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I shudder to think what sort of peas you are eating that are that color.

I already have their red one. I wanted the wine color, but it sold out in my size while I was out at lunch. The remaining colors were too bright for touring, where you tend to get dirtier. Green will look good on me and go with the panniers and black bike.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-13-22, 07:41 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Ugh.

We we’re around someone suffering from”allergies” last Friday for several hours. He ended up testing + but nobody at dinner with has got it. His spouse has not as well- this is a strange disease. Wife and I have had multiple close contact exposures and never tested positive. Proof that vaccines work I guess.
Yeah, both mrs datlas and I have our second boosters, and both Heidi and mrs datlas wore masks in the car on the way home from the airport, so I am hopeful the risk to us is low. Heidi is not happy spending the next 5 days in her room, but that's life.
Old 05-13-22, 07:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Now that both the weather and sunrise are cooperating, I was able to get out for my first while-everyone-else-is-sleeping ride of the year. It's a nice jumpstart and it's great not having to think, "how am I going to free up some time to get in a little exercise?" for the rest of the day.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-13-22, 07:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Yeah, both mrs datlas and I have our second boosters, and both Heidi and mrs datlas wore masks in the car on the way home from the airport, so I am hopeful the risk to us is low. Heidi is not happy spending the next 5 days in her room, but that's life.
What's the scoop on second boosters? Is it something most should consider? A timeframe where it's most effective? Etc.
Old 05-13-22, 07:58 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What's the scoop on second boosters? Is it something most should consider? A timeframe where it's most effective? Etc.
The waters are really muddy here. The second booster is reasonable, and I do encourage it for patients who, if they got a "cold," could go downhill, so patients that are frail or have advanced COPD or heart failure. For the rest of us, it's optional. Many of my patients are suggesting they wait until closer to the fall for their next shot so they have better protection for the fall/winter when we think there may be a big increase in cases, and that is reasonable.

So it's essentially YOUR choice at this point. I got the 2nd booster (as did mrs datlas) because we are very cautious and want to be proactive. We are so cautious, we only ate in restaurants in Asheville that had outdoor seating. But it's certainly reasonable to hold off for a few months are re-evaluate then.

#ProChoiceOnSecondBooster
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-13-22, 08:25 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10046 Post(s)
Liked 5,038 Times in 2,150 Posts
Shakedown cruise tonight on the newly rebuild Litespeed. First impressions - quiet! Nothing quite like a new chain on new chanrings and a new cassette!

Shifting in the rear seems as good as the 7410 DA, better than the 7000 series 105 on the Canyon. Shifting from small to large chainrings is pretty much immediate and quiet, BUT requires significant force on the lever. The brakes work great. The crank is not as pretty as the 7410 crank, but it's not too bad. Slightly wider Q-factor - like 3mm - but I'm not sure I'd notice.

So, a lot like the old kit, but with more gears, just like I wanted. At one point I was going up a little rise and I looked back at the cassette and thought, "I thought I'd have lower gears here", then I realized I was in the 53, not the 39 as I'd thought.

I seem to have set the STIs higher than I intended, but I was able to scooch them down to 'tips level with end of bar' when I got home. Unfortunately, not only was it windy AF out, but also my legs just didn't seem to have it tonight. Maybe 3 days layoff is too much!

Here's the promised picture:
what wheels are you rocking?

I like it.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 05-13-22, 08:32 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Is that an Avocet saddle? I wore out a few of them back in the 90s. I was upset when they stopped making them.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-13-22, 08:33 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28430 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,298 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Last night I somehow missed the fact that my post is in the background of this image.

Quality.
Old 05-13-22, 08:34 AM
big john

Dumb word.
Wordle 328 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Old 05-13-22, 08:44 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Alabama is playing UT jr? Hoo boy.

Old 05-13-22, 09:23 AM
seedsbelize2

The wife just read to me tha the mask mandate, for open areas in Yucatan, has finally been dropped. 41 days with no deaths. Down to 13 cases per day reported. It's just as I'd hoped; we get to take them off for awhile, until the next wave comes in. The Mexican health folk have already declared covid to be endemic. I've been riding with a mask(mandated) since early 2020. I have lately been pulling it down out on the open road, but having it in place when passing through villages.
Old 05-13-22, 09:35 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
what wheels are you rocking?

I like it.
Fulcrum Racing 4s. I got them for the Ritchey when the rims on its wheels had worn down - I'd been riding the same wheels since 2000, and the Ritchey was my one bike for a decade. I did have to loosen the preload on the bearings just a touch.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-13-22, 09:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by big john
Is that an Avocet saddle? I wore out a few of them back in the 90s. I was upset when they stopped making them.
Yep. Avocet 02 Air 40R. I now have them on all my 'modern' bikes. Like you, I found them back in the 90s. When I got the Bianchi in 2007, I thought, "I'll just get another one of those", so I looked everywhere and didn't find any till my LBS suggested I check with Palo Alto Bicycles, which had worked closely with Avocet. They had 6 of them, and I bought 3! One went on the Bianchi, a white one for the Battaglin, and a spare. When I bought the Canyon, I put the spare on it. Last month, I finally found one in good enough condition to use on the Litespeed - titanium rails, no less!

I had been running a Fizik Aliante VSX, which is almost as comfy but is wider through the nose. The Avocet is the only saddle I have found that's just wide enough at the back, and flat, then narrows quickly through the neck, and stays narrow through the nose.

Old 05-13-22, 09:55 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
The waters are really muddy here. The second booster is reasonable, and I do encourage it for patients who, if they got a "cold," could go downhill, so patients that are frail or have advanced COPD or heart failure. For the rest of us, it's optional. Many of my patients are suggesting they wait until closer to the fall for their next shot so they have better protection for the fall/winter when we think there may be a big increase in cases, and that is reasonable.

So it's essentially YOUR choice at this point. I got the 2nd booster (as did mrs datlas) because we are very cautious and want to be proactive. We are so cautious, we only ate in restaurants in Asheville that had outdoor seating. But it's certainly reasonable to hold off for a few months are re-evaluate then.

#ProChoiceOnSecondBooster
I jumped at the opportunity and got my first series and booster as soon as I possibly could, but now I have no idea if I will get a second booster. After all of the close exposures and quarantines and everything else, it’s getting exhausting. I know I need to protect others, but Christ this is getting old.
Old 05-13-22, 10:10 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I jumped at the opportunity and got my first series and booster as soon as I possibly could, but now I have no idea if I will get a second booster. After all of the close exposures and quarantines and everything else, it’s getting exhausting. I know I need to protect others, but Christ this is getting old.
Fortunately, it's also getting more convenient. You can get 'em at your local pharmacy these days, vs the big vaccination sites last year.

Old 05-13-22, 10:13 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by big john
Dumb word.
There are no dumb words . . . only dumb apps.
Old 05-13-22, 10:29 AM
big john

Yep. Avocet 02 Air 40R. I now have them on all my 'modern' bikes. Like you, I found them back in the 90s. When I got the Bianchi in 2007, I thought, "I'll just get another one of those", so I looked everywhere and didn't find any till my LBS suggested I check with Palo Alto Bicycles, which had worked closely with Avocet. They had 6 of them, and I bought 3! One went on the Bianchi, a white one for the Battaglin, and a spare. When I bought the Canyon, I put the spare on it. Last month, I finally found one in good enough condition to use on the Litespeed - titanium rails, no less!

I had been running a Fizik Aliante VSX, which is almost as comfy but is wider through the nose. The Avocet is the only saddle I have found that's just wide enough at the back, and flat, then narrows quickly through the neck, and stays narrow through the nose.
I used an Avocet on my long tour, one of the Lycra covered ones. After I couldn't find them I went through a bunch of saddles, broke some, got tired of some, and then found a Selle Italia that seemed just right. Broke it after a couple years and, of course, couldn't find another.

I bought a different Selle Italia that just happened to be at the LBS and I was happy with it for several years until it started popping and leaning to the right. Can't find another one. If I go to their website it's overwhelming with how many saddles there are, but never the model I'm looking for.

A friend sold me a Flite Gel saddle and I like it but it's starting to come apart after a couple years. I have saddles I don't really like on the mtb and the back up roadie. I used to have a box of saddles in the garage but I gave some away and put 3 on bikes I sold.
Old 05-13-22, 10:30 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
There are no dumb words . . . only dumb apps.
You're so predictable.
Old 05-13-22, 10:31 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9519 Post(s)
Liked 6,265 Times in 3,453 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I think he’s paring it with cameo shorts. So the bears don’t see him.
Likes For Mojo31:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.