Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mario Confente Bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mario Confente Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 06:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Single bolt Super Record seat post was shown in late 1978, but don't expect to be able to buy one right away. 1979 the earliest, and not that early.

As stated previously, components on these bikes can vary a lot. Some were sold as frame sets, some as complete bikes. Rider / purchasers, would want their choice of saddle and handlebar shape. Phil Wood hubs were even an option at the beginning. Mario had a preference for Campagnolo, and Cinelli, as that is what the standard "catalog" build came with.

A Confente is not a bike I would date by component date codes.

Frubin, how long did you wait for the bike from order and deposit?
Old 02-19-07, 07:09 PM
frubin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I just got the frame and fork from Mario and bought SR campy stuff later I remember carrying them home on the LA RTA bus. I had a Redondo bike shop press on the fork bearing race and frame cup and possibly install the right side BB bearing cup but I can't remember for sure. Not sure why the Avocet seat, tape, and toe clips etc. are not stock. They're what I wanted to use. Was something else normally used? The campy seatpost does have 2 top threaded bolt holes so that the angle of the seat can be set to what is desired.
Old 02-19-07, 07:12 PM
Chongo

Bikes: Russ Denny custom

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
[Trivia question... was a Confente ever ridden in LeTour? and by whom if you think so.[/QUOTE]

I believe that Jonathan "Jacques" Boyer Finished 12th in Le Tour back in 1970-something on his prized red white and blue Confente. It was unprecedented for an American bang with the Euro big boys back then. He set the stage for Americans in Europe and Lemond came along shortly and finished the job. Wonder how George Mount would have done had he been able to race the Tour?
Old 02-19-07, 07:12 PM
frubin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's has just been too long ago (30 years) to remember actually but it seemed to take a fews months to get it.
Old 02-19-07, 07:15 PM
Chongo

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
An amazing, beautiful bike by the way. Those aren't clincher wheels are they?
Old 02-19-07, 07:24 PM
repechage

We have a winner, Boyer is correct, the bikes were badged as LeJeunes and used in the Tour. I have heard he still has one or some of them, but rides a Time now.
Old 02-19-07, 07:30 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Chongo
Trivia question... was a Confente ever ridden in LeTour? and by whom if you think so.

I believe that Jonathan "Jacques" Boyer Finished 12th in Le Tour back in 1970-something on his prized red white and blue Confente.
My spelling is bad. See post #4!

Jacques shop is right down the street from me.
That's the # I listed.

And I'm pretty sure frubin lives not too far from me either.

There are almost as many Confente's as there are Ferrari's around here!

Old 02-19-07, 07:36 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by frubin
Not sure why the Avocet seat, tape, and toe clips etc. are not stock. They're what I wanted to use. Was something else normally used?
Your bike is not "typical" but buyers preference, remember the calling card was Custom Bicycles by Confente. You got a frame set, of course Dura Ace would explode immediately upon installation, Italian-Japanese galvanic corrosion.

Most folk ride a saddle about level, +/-, long ago when one had a saddle tilted down as yours is, it was due to a search for comfort, where a different saddle was the better choice to resolve the problem. When tilted down, you are using your legs to force yourself from sliding forward, wasting energy. I always laugh, as coming off a layoff of the bike ANY saddle hurts for 200 miles or so, even my favorite.
Old 02-19-07, 07:37 PM
frubin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, they are clincher tires and tubes on Araya wheels. Did not trust sew up tires after I had one slip off a wheel of mine on an old Schwinn Paramount that I used to have.

Last edited by frubin; 02-23-07 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-19-07, 07:39 PM
frubin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What saddle would you recommend? I was thinking about replacing the Avocet Touring III seat that's on it now. Is Concor a good one? Thanks.

Last edited by frubin; 02-19-07 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-19-07, 07:41 PM
frubin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't live in LA anymore. I am out in Florida now.
Old 02-19-07, 07:42 PM
frubin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are Pro-Strada decals?
Old 02-19-07, 07:48 PM
Chongo

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I forgot the terminology but those are tire and tube on Araya wheels. Did not trust sew up tires after I had one slip off a wheel of mine on an old Schwinn Paramount that I used to have.
Nooooooo! Quickly, ebay some Super champion rims built up on some Campy high flange hubs with Clement Seta Extra tires. Have an expert glue the tires on with good rim glue. Bad things may happen if you don't. See Japanese-Italian reaction above.
Old 02-19-07, 07:49 PM
repechage

Saddles are VERY personal, Concor does not work for me, but other's love them, if you have not been riding much, any saddle will hurt for a while, you need to test sit on some, if it feels uncomfortable from the start, probably no go, discomfort after 20 minutes? might be a winner later.
Old 02-19-07, 07:52 PM
Chongo

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron
My spelling is bad. See post #4!

Jacques shop is right down the street from me.
That's the # I listed.

And I'm pretty sure frubin lives not too far from me either.

There are almost as many Confente's as there are Ferrari's around here!
Sorry! Didn't mean to steal the prize, but I'll take it from you anyway since your reward is being able to live in Carmel .
Old 02-19-07, 08:02 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'd guess the period seat would have been a Cinelli, but Brooks would be good too, and are my personal choice: Pros in the old days, for some reason I prefer B17s now. I'd think the Avocet would've been a little later. I don't care for the Concors myself, my Cinelli came with one and got switched to a B17. Pro-Strata was a model decal on the chainstays I believe. Nothing wrong with clinchers if that's what you prefer.

You certainly have one of the holy grail bicycles in fabulous condition. Do you recall the original frame purchase price?
Old 02-19-07, 08:11 PM
frubin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking about a Brooks Titanium Swallow. They look pretty neat and the leather tension is adjustable. They go for $750 a pop at Yellow Jersey Cycle in Madison , WI.
Old 02-19-07, 08:14 PM
frubin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it was $450 according to Mario's brochure that he gave me.

Last edited by frubin; 03-19-07 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-19-07, 08:15 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Sure, if money is no object, though the tension is adjustable on all Brooks. Might hit the swap meets and get lucky and pick one up for 25 or so! I've found a couple...
Old 02-19-07, 08:24 PM
M-theory

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fred.. If you want a saddle that is age appropriate or one that Mario put on his bikes.... I think you'll want a vintage Cinelli Unicanitor seat but a vintage Selle Concor seat, a Selle Regal or vintage Brooks Professional leather seat would be somewhat correct as well.

I'm not exacty sure when the first Selle San Marco Rolls and Selle Turbo seats popped up but I'd guess around '81 or so. Those are nice vintage seats as well.

If it were my bike, again, I'd make it as 'correct' as possible....that would mean a Cinelli Unicanitor seat.
Old 02-19-07, 08:36 PM
frubin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, those Cinelli Unicanitors are a nice looking seat.
Old 02-19-07, 08:43 PM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was thinking about a Brooks Titanium Swallow. They look pretty neat and the leather tension is adjustable. They go for $750 a pop at Yellow Jersey Cycle in Madison , WI.
You can get a much better price on a Swallow at Wallingford in New Orleans, and they have a very generous exchange/return policy should you not like your first choice.
Old 02-19-07, 08:49 PM
frubin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the information on Wallingford. I ordered a Brooks antique brown Swallow from them at very good price.

Last edited by frubin; 02-23-07 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-20-07, 09:48 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 783 Posts
Just an FYI update, a guy on the CR list says this looks like the "brother/sister" bike to the Confente he owns, same color paint and details but this one (011) is a larger frame...and his is serial number 012.
Old 02-21-07, 03:59 PM
repechage

What are Pro-Strada decals?
Mario had two models, if one could call them that, Pro-Strada and Pro-Pista, set on the chainstays just aft of the chainrings for approx. placement.

While yours does not have them, no need to worry, I have been advised that there is at least one other without. As this bike was built after Mario got locked out of the original shop, not having all of the transfers he wanted and or a painter who was happy putting them on is of no surprise.

Part of the Mario, Medici entanglement of some interest, Medici also used the Pro-Strada model name, in the same typography even, just with the two colors reversed...that could be the reason as well...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.