Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Omnium Cargo

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Omnium Cargo

Old 12-17-20, 01:58 AM
2wheelfelicity

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Salsa Deadwood, Centurion Le Mans, Omnium Cargo WiFi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Omnium Cargo

Anyone have experience with the Omnium cargo bike? 99% getting the wifi version when it gets released soon, but was curious to hear people\'s reviews. PIcs always welcome!!
Old 06-14-21, 07:32 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheelfelicity
Anyone have experience with the Omnium cargo bike? 99% getting the wifi version when it gets released soon, but was curious to hear people\'s reviews. PIcs always welcome!!
I know this thread was started a year ago but I was wondering if you bought the Omnium (looks like you did from your profile). If you did, how are you liking it? I'm thinking about buying a Mini-Max wifi but the import fees to the US are putting me off a bit.
Old 09-29-21, 03:30 PM
2wheelfelicity

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Salsa Deadwood, Centurion Le Mans, Omnium Cargo WiFi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sdimattia Hi, wow, sorry, I thought I responded to this a long time ago. Not sure where you landed with the mini-max, but in case you're still considering and on the fence, I have loved the Cargo WiFi. It has handled everything I could have asked it to. Handles great and as close to a "normal" bike as one can get for a bike this long. I got used to it very quickly. The bigger tires feel like a necessity, I don't know how people did it with the older models. Notable uses have been: Costco run for our 50 person babyshower with nearly all the food on the bike (omitting a watermelon and the plates, cutlery, napkins), I have carried my 8 month pregnant wife and our dog (dog weighs 50 lbs, I'm 170, wife ????) numerous times around town, overnight all-gravel camping again with the dog/gear in the Eastern Sierras. Some of these, particularly the costco felt like I was approaching the limit, but again, it did great. The kickstand is a must if you're going to constantly be loading it up, I imagine this would be true for mini-max as well. I got the extender bar. I thought I would only use it occasionally and I end up using it quite a bit. I would highly, highly recommend it if you're still thinking about it and plan on biking for the majority of your trips/errands.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to let me know.
Old 10-03-21, 06:41 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheelfelicity
sdimattia Hi, wow, sorry, I thought I responded to this a long time ago. Not sure where you landed with the mini-max, but in case you're still considering and on the fence, I have loved the Cargo WiFi. It has handled everything I could have asked it to. Handles great and as close to a "normal" bike as one can get for a bike this long. I got used to it very quickly. The bigger tires feel like a necessity, I don't know how people did it with the older models. Notable uses have been: Costco run for our 50 person babyshower with nearly all the food on the bike (omitting a watermelon and the plates, cutlery, napkins), I have carried my 8 month pregnant wife and our dog (dog weighs 50 lbs, I'm 170, wife ????) numerous times around town, overnight all-gravel camping again with the dog/gear in the Eastern Sierras. Some of these, particularly the costco felt like I was approaching the limit, but again, it did great. The kickstand is a must if you're going to constantly be loading it up, I imagine this would be true for mini-max as well. I got the extender bar. I thought I would only use it occasionally and I end up using it quite a bit. I would highly, highly recommend it if you're still thinking about it and plan on biking for the majority of your trips/errands.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to let me know.
Appreciate the insight, your testament is perfect! I actually ended up retrofitting a Surly frame into a cycle-truck with the help of a fabricator in Seattle. But, If ever I need a larger cargo bike, I will definitely get the Omnium. Congratulations on your baby!