Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are these safe to ride?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Are these safe to ride?

Old 07-29-21, 09:22 AM
amokeu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Are these safe to ride?

Got some new carbon bars and theres a very very (barely feelable, probably about 0.1-0.4mm) small scratch/chip whatever. It might just be a paint scratch, but from the photos attatched would you say they are safe to ride?

Old 07-29-21, 09:39 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
If those are new I would return them.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 07-29-21, 09:56 AM
amokeu

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
If those are new I would return them.
Ordered them a while ago through an ebay parts vendor that doesnt publicly accept returns so wouldnt be too easy but would you say that is dangerous to ride? If so I'll get some new bars or see what I can get done with the seller but if its safe to ride then I'll keep.
Old 07-29-21, 10:49 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by amokeu
Ordered them a while ago through an ebay parts vendor that doesnt publicly accept returns so wouldnt be too easy but would you say that is dangerous to ride? If so I'll get some new bars or see what I can get done with the seller but if its safe to ride then I'll keep.
The doesn't take returns bit is BS as you could go through buyer protection to get a refund, if the item is received damaged, they should replace/resolve. However, you said you ordered them a while back (and would take it you got them a while back) saying that they are now damaged is difficult, due to the time past since purchase, and suspect the chances of getting a refund are minimal in this case due to the age discrepancy.

For the bars, are they safe to ride, probably, but at the same time, for the cost of them, would just replace, as it's not worth finding out if they are going to fail, and check for any damage next time when you receive them!
Likes For jimc101:
Old 07-29-21, 11:38 AM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
The bars appear to be a Chinese knockoff and are suspect at best. I suggest placing the bars in a stationary vise that would allow load testing, an old stem and a bench vise would be perfect, and shock load the bar to help determine if they are suitable for your planned use. I couldn’t find any standards that would provide any loading specifications so its a wild guess at best. I admit that I have not tried this but would if I wanted to use the bars.
Likes For N2deep:
Old 07-29-21, 01:15 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I'd ride it. I'd just go careful right at first, until confident the damage is superficial. Watch the damaged area and see if it changes over time. If you hear it clicking or popping, stop immediately and condemn that bar.
Old 07-29-21, 01:18 PM
amokeu

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
The bars appear to be a Chinese knockoff and are suspect at best. I suggest placing the bars in a stationary vise that would allow load testing, an old stem and a bench vise would be perfect, and shock load the bar to help determine if they are suitable for your planned use. I couldn’t find any standards that would provide any loading specifications so its a wild guess at best. I admit that I have not tried this but would if I wanted to use the bars.
Could you tell me please what makes you think its a Chinese knockoff? Is it a brand you aren't familiar with or is it something about this particular bar? Thanks
Old 07-29-21, 01:20 PM
amokeu

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
The doesn't take returns bit is BS as you could go through buyer protection to get a refund, if the item is received damaged, they should replace/resolve. However, you said you ordered them a while back (and would take it you got them a while back) saying that they are now damaged is difficult, due to the time past since purchase, and suspect the chances of getting a refund are minimal in this case due to the age discrepancy.

For the bars, are they safe to ride, probably, but at the same time, for the cost of them, would just replace, as it's not worth finding out if they are going to fail, and check for any damage next time when you receive them!
Thanks, luckily it was within the month (just) so I'm going to try go through eBay's money back guarantee, if the seller can't offer anything to help, but we'll see.
Old 07-29-21, 01:21 PM
amokeu

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I'd ride it. I'd just go careful right at first, until confident the damage is superficial. Watch the damaged area and see if it changes over time. If you hear it clicking or popping, stop immediately and condemn that bar.
Cheers, I'll try get it refunded/exchanged but if I can't, I'm not riding ridiculously hard really so I'll just try see how its looking.
Old 07-29-21, 03:47 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
The bars appear to be a Chinese knockoff and are suspect at best.
Yeah, no. Funn has been in business for years and they sponsor several pro downhill and enduro racers and teams. They make pedals, stems, bars, dropper posts, etc.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-29-21, 03:55 PM
amokeu

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Yeah, no. Funn has been in business for years and they sponsor several pro downhill and enduro racers and teams. They make pedals, stems, bars, dropper posts, etc.
Exactly what I was thinking, dont know if he just didnt know funn or for some reason thought they were fake funn bars.
Likes For amokeu:
Old 07-29-21, 04:00 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by amokeu
Exactly what I was thinking, dont know if he just didnt know funn or for some reason thought they were fake funn bars.
Nothing suspect about it that I can see. Looks just like a stock Black Ace bar.

Old 07-29-21, 04:49 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4914 Post(s)
Liked 8,016 Times in 3,792 Posts
Ride it. It looks like the paint is scraped away but there isn't damage to the fibers in the composite matrix.
Old 07-29-21, 06:38 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
OK, they appear to be a real manufacturer.