Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 02:28 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I used my bicycle trailer today to transport these boxes containing printed material. National Bank of Washington, out of business for many years now. Not a bank that was deemed 'too big to fail'. Two blocks due east from the White House. Somebody has stolen one of the golden doors.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 12-31-09 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-16-09, 06:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
I rode to three clients today (in my computer business). They're all very close.

Then I rode to a new bike shop, to check it out. It's ten miles away. I ordered some tools that he doesn't carry in stock.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-16-09, 06:25 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I rode to the grocery store to restock the pantry. The sky was blue, the sun was shining and I grinned the entire way there and home. I pitied the drivers stuck in their cars.
Old 11-16-09, 06:43 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Picked up my new sewing machine and cabinet... pics to follow as this was an impressive bit of cargo.
Old 11-17-09, 10:07 AM
Singlespeed92
No longer here

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing as grand as that,but in a few minutes I'll be running a few errands by bike,and checking the PO Box to see if the new Dirt Rag is there yet . Yesterday was a grand day for my mail box...got the new issues of Bike and Bicycling,and 3 back issues of Urban Velo-and no other mail

Won't be making the trip across the (2) mountain(s) to the grocery store by bike for a week or 5,after 2 months sitting/taking it easy from tearing a hip muscle loose on an optomistic/acrobatic mtn bike trip back in August,I then contracted that dang pig flu for a few weeks...I seem to have lost most of my fitness base ,time to get diggin'!
Old 11-17-09, 10:57 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

The sewing machine haul... 100 pounds for 10 miles.

Old 11-17-09, 11:42 AM
Singlespeed92
No longer here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man that's just kool!
Old 11-17-09, 11:46 AM
Singlespeed92
No longer here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well,I ran my errands on the 29er (the only bike I have together and not in need of any parts*),but discovered that she needs new pads for the bb5's* before she can be ridden again.

Normally,that wouldn't be a big deal,click on Pricepoint,and pick up the debit card and order em...but looks like her next full payday will be after the new year,and I dunno if I can squeeze the measely $30 (for f&r pads) outta the budget till then,so no car (been broken down a month +/-),no bike,no public transport anywhere in the area ...good thing I'm "just a housewife" now-a-days (albeit a hairy one with gonads),huh?

Guess I need to dig thru my parts and get my Monocog back together ,or I'll be hitching or just or ,LOL!
Old 11-17-09, 08:30 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
The lady at the grocer asked how I was gonna carry all those groceries on my bike... I guess my helmet was a giveaway.

The bags were filled and a few boxes were strapped to the deck.
Ha Ha. I had that exact same thing a few weeks ago. Checked out about 4 bags of groceries and a bag of potatoes besides. The cashier noticed the helmet in my hand and asked, "are you on a bike?"
"Uh Huh."
" How on earth are you gonna carry all that?"
"On my handlebars of course."
I didn't tell her I had a cargo trailer.
Old 11-17-09, 10:42 PM
coffeecake
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I was the cargo. SO came and picked me up from night class on the xtracycle. Great fun and the unusually warm weather was very pleasant. Had lots of cars slow down and do a double take!
Old 11-18-09, 09:45 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Speaking of people as cargo, ...

Yesterday, my wife and I were on the way to a shiva (kinda like a Jewish wake), about three blocks from home. I was going somewhere else afterwards, and my wife was coming back home. So I let her ride on my blackburn rack. We realized we had never done that as kids.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-18-09, 10:22 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I am planning to rebuild the deck on my long bike so that it will accommodate people... especially a little 9 year old that wants her dad to take her for rides.

Old 11-18-09, 12:04 PM
Dan Burkhart 

I am planning to rebuild the deck on my long bike so that it will accommodate people... especially a little 9 year old that wants her dad to take her for rides.

That's my plan for my Big Dummy. I have 3 grandkids who are all fast approaching the point where they will be too big for the trailer and the baby seat. I think I could haul all 3 at once on the BD.
Old 11-19-09, 07:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

As some here may know, my goal is to drive less and cycle more. For years, I've given weak excuses to myself, and I'm swiping them away. Not having lights for night has been one, and I still don't have GOOD lights, but now at least I have lights. And riding around town at night has proven to be very easy, because traffic is very light at night in my town. It's not only easy, it's downright pleasant. So last night, I rode a mile or so to a friend's house, and I was so glad I didn't drive.

Old 11-19-09, 08:31 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I love riding at night for the same reasons... traffic is light and one often has the entire road to themselves.

Lighting technology has improved so much in such a short time and with this development prices have really come down.

I just picked up a Planet Bike Superflash 2 watt headlight and for 34.00 could not be more pleased with the light and it's output.
Old 11-19-09, 09:37 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I love riding at night for the same reasons... traffic is light and one often has the entire road to themselves.

Lighting technology has improved so much in such a short time and with this development prices have really come down.

I just picked up a Planet Bike Superflash 2 watt headlight and for 34.00 could not be more pleased with the light and it's output.

OK, maybe you can help me. I bought a used Niterider system. The battery and headlight are used, and the taillight is still in the original wrapping. I paid $150 US for everything, which to me is a lot. The battery is worn down to about useless. I don't remember the bulb technology, but I suspect it's pretty obsolete, because while it pours out a lot of light, it drinks a lot of power. A replacement battery may run me over $100 US. I guess I should look at the light you mention. What do you think?

Old 11-19-09, 10:46 AM
Dan Burkhart 

I find that when riding at night, assuming I have made myself very conspicuous with proper lighting and reflective clothing, traffic actually gives me a wider berth than they do in daylight.
Old 11-19-09, 01:15 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by noglider

OK, maybe you can help me. I bought a used Niterider system. The battery and headlight are used, and the taillight is still in the original wrapping. I paid $150 US for everything, which to me is a lot. The battery is worn down to about useless. I don't remember the bulb technology, but I suspect it's pretty obsolete, because while it pours out a lot of light, it drinks a lot of power. A replacement battery may run me over $100 US. I guess I should look at the light you mention. What do you think?
Noglider, you might want to checkout the ligjting and electronics forum...You seem to be open to DIY I am willing to bet that you might get some ideas on a cheaper battery replacement option...or rebuild the system option.
also there is a lot of enthusiasm for the p7 and MC-e flasshlight that put out a lot of light in a small package ....downside is short runtime and special batteries required

Old 11-19-09, 02:19 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

For riding at night a 3 watt headlight is generally quite sufficient... it provides a nice balance of power and power usage while really intense lights will drink a lot of power and not do much more to help one see.

The 10 watt Nighthawk I have turns night into day and will run at maximum for about 12 hours with 4 AA Nimh batteries while the new 2 watt PB light has already exceeded it's manufacturers specs for run time of 4H/8L/15Flash mode as I replaced the alkaline batteries with Nimh rechargeable... in low light settings the Low setting works great while the High setting is better when ambient light tends to wash things out. The Flash setting is seizure inducing and I set up a dual mount so I can use one of my 5 light LED models to provide my daytime flasher as it will run in excess of 100 hours on 2 AA rechargeable.

I really only use the 10 watt light for night time mountain biking or on routes where I will not be blinding other cyclists as it really is too much for general road use in such a well lit city.

With increases in technology many makers will have to focus more on the lenses they use to provide a cutoff to keep light where it belongs and not in the eyes of other cyclists and motorists... most quality German lights already do this.

This is my commutourer at night... before the lights get turned on. I have the 10 watt mounted here...

Old 11-19-09, 04:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

So replace the light system I paid $150 for?

I'm doing some searching now, and yeah, you seem to get a heck of a lot of light for a tiny amount of energy.

Old 11-19-09, 05:03 PM
coffeecake
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a little 40 lumen LED light with 5 LEDs...it's a nice light for lit streets, but I don't entirely trust it for dark areas. It was under $50 and easy to operate with mitts on, so it works for me. I'd like one of those expensive ones...I think they are halogen? if I was out a lot at night on unfamiliar streets.
Old 11-19-09, 08:14 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
So replace the light system I paid $150 for?

I'm doing some searching now, and yeah, you seem to get a heck of a lot of light for a tiny amount of energy.
I broke down and ordered a Magicshine and am very happy with the amount of light it throws, given the cost of the unit. I plan on ordering a second lighthead since I live in rural area with little street light. If you plan on going that route, you may be able to cannibalize the mounting system for existing lights. I've done that with my first Magicshine. I had two older lights that slid into mounting hardware on the handlebars (with a nice clicking sound once they're locked into place). It was easy to transfer the mounting plate on the old light to the Magicshine. Good luck. There definitely a lot of lighting choices available.
Old 11-21-09, 06:43 AM
Singlespeed92
No longer here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got my old Monocog back together last night (set up as a SS roadie with skinny slicks and such),and with a light weight front rack. Have a few errands to run today (EG: I have a small package to ship out for one),so I'll be kicking it one speed . I'll try and get a decent pic later.
Old 11-21-09, 09:06 AM
Singlespeed92
No longer here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the pics :)

31 Degrees F really isn't all that cold...but after working on the fire for a solid 10 minutes just before heading out in a flannel jacket over a t-shirt,and a pair of shorts,it sure felt it,LOL! Time to drag out the winter gear,I suppose.

Old 11-21-09, 03:51 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
singlespeed92,

That's a gorgeous looking bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.