Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Mondonico Diamond, unknown year

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-23, 08:12 AM
jbz255 

Bikes: 1986 Trek 760, 1990 Trek 420, 2020 REI ADV 1.1, 2017 REI ADV 3.1, 1995 Trek 930 Singletrack, 2003 LeMond Arrivee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Mondonico Diamond, unknown year

Bought a Mondonico Diamond on FB Marketplace for a friend (who now doesn't want it) a couple months back, and haven't been able to find too much information regarding the frame/serial number searching online. Hoping to both pinpoint the year of manufacture, and figure out a FMV for either the complete bike or just the frameset. Although I've been using Bike Forums as a tool for research and learning, this is my first time actually posting, so I cannot directly post images yet. I have uploaded pictures of the bike in my albums, as I have previously read that this is the best alternative way for others to view the pictures needed.
From my research online, the installed components are as follows (please correct me if any of these are not right):
  • Mavic 631 "StarFish" 53/42 crankset- Mavic 610 URD bottom bracket
  • Shimano 6401 FD/RD/shifters
  • Shimano 6402 rear hub
  • Shimano CS-HG90 12-23 8 speed cassette
  • Campagnolo Chorus Monoplaner C051/C052 brakes
  • Mavic 500 RD (550 RD?) front hub
  • Mavic 305 headset
  • Modolo Equipe handlebars
  • Modolo Q-Even 120mm stem.
Frame is Columbus SPX tubing with Campagnolo dropouts, fork has Columbus "Foderi Laminati" decals, and has "6W09" (or "60M9"?) stamped on both the underside of the bottom bracket shell and the fork steerer, I'm assuming that is the serial number. The seat tube (center-to-center) measures 60cm, with the top tube measuring 58cm (center-to-center as well), so I wasn't sure if perhaps the 60 in the serial was in reference to the frame size? Based on the periods that those particular components were around, and also what appears to be a date on the crankset, I'm guessing that the bike is around late 80's, but hoping someone more knowledgeable can help pinpoint what year it was made. I've been working on bikes as a hobby for only a couple years now, and up until now I've always been able to pinpoint information about a bike based on color schemes, components, etc., but those have all been mass produced bicycles. If anyone out there can offer any more knowledge about this bike, it is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-25-23, 08:18 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Old 02-25-23, 08:20 AM
TugaDude

Old 02-25-23, 08:22 AM
TugaDude

Nice frame with mismatched components but all are of excellent quality. Wonder why the friend didn't want it after all?

Best way to make money would be to part it out. Since there is no "theme" to the brand of components really, I guess that isn't a big deal here.

Then someone could buy the frame at a reasonable price and build it up with their own group, maybe even modern components such as brifters, etc.

Would make a good rider I'm sure.
Old 02-25-23, 10:05 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2928 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,490 Posts
Good Morning and welcome to the forums. That is a beautiful bike. Mondonico was imported by a smaller company called Torelli and if memory serves they mostly sold framesets and maybe a 'kit' or two, but for a bike that is around 30 years old who's to say how it got in this state, yeah I'd say this probably from rioth around 89ish for the frame and the most of components seem to be from that era too.

The value would be pretty much what you paid for it, but as stated if you want to maximize you investment part it out and be willing to ship.

Originally Posted by jbz255
Bought a Mondonico Diamond on FB Marketplace for a friend (who now doesn't want it) a couple months back, and haven't been able to find too much information regarding the frame/serial number searching online. Hoping to both pinpoint the year of manufacture, and figure out a FMV for either the complete bike or just the frameset. Although I've been using Bike Forums as a tool for research and learning, this is my first time actually posting, so I cannot directly post images yet. I have uploaded pictures of the bike in my albums, as I have previously read that this is the best alternative way for others to view the pictures needed.
From my research online, the installed components are as follows (please correct me if any of these are not right):
  • Mavic 631 "StarFish" 53/42 crankset- Mavic 610 URD bottom bracket
  • Shimano 6401 FD/RD/shifters
  • Shimano 6402 rear hub
  • Shimano CS-HG90 12-23 8 speed cassette
  • Campagnolo Chorus Monoplaner C051/C052 brakes
  • Mavic 500 RD (550 RD?) front hub
  • Mavic 305 headset
  • Modolo Equipe handlebars
  • Modolo Q-Even 120mm stem.
Frame is Columbus SPX tubing with Campagnolo dropouts, fork has Columbus "Foderi Laminati" decals, and has "6W09" (or "60M9"?) stamped on both the underside of the bottom bracket shell and the fork steerer, I'm assuming that is the serial number. The seat tube (center-to-center) measures 60cm, with the top tube measuring 58cm (center-to-center as well), so I wasn't sure if perhaps the 60 in the serial was in reference to the frame size? Based on the periods that those particular components were around, and also what appears to be a date on the crankset, I'm guessing that the bike is around late 80's, but hoping someone more knowledgeable can help pinpoint what year it was made. I've been working on bikes as a hobby for only a couple years now, and up until now I've always been able to pinpoint information about a bike based on color schemes, components, etc., but those have all been mass produced bicycles. If anyone out there can offer any more knowledge about this bike, it is greatly appreciated!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-25-23, 10:54 AM
Steel1

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Thats a beautiful bike, and very good quality. I believe the bottom bracket marking 60=size, 9=1989. I think the “M”= Mondonico made, and is the same format used on bikes he made and sold to be badged as Torelli (the higher end models) and Masi.
Old 02-25-23, 11:06 AM
jbz255 

Bikes: 1986 Trek 760, 1990 Trek 420, 2020 REI ADV 1.1, 2017 REI ADV 3.1, 1995 Trek 930 Singletrack, 2003 LeMond Arrivee

So the friend that I picked this up for, who is new to road cycling, decided that they wanted something more modern/recent. I tried explaining that a bike like this, that also fits well, isn't something you find often around here. Not really a big deal on my part, since I only paid $100 for the bike, and have only invested in new handlebar tape, a new tire, a new chain, and time spent disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling. If I were to part it out, I am wondering if I should keep the bottom bracket and crankset as part of the frameset, since the bottom bracket shell has been modified for that Mavic bottom bracket, and also due to the crankset being matched to that bottom bracket (neither of them are either ISO or JIS from my understanding).

Last edited by jbz255; 02-25-23 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-25-23, 12:48 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 318 Posts
So the friend that I picked this up for, who is new to road cycling, decided that they wanted something more modern/recent. I tried explaining that a bike like this, that also fits well, isn't something you find often around here. Not really a big deal on my part, since I only paid $100 for the bike, and have only invested in new handlebar tape, a new tire, a new chain, and time spent disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling. If I were to part it out, I am wondering if I should keep the bottom bracket and crankset as part of the frameset, since the bottom bracket shell has been modified for that Mavic bottom bracket, and also due to the crankset being matched to that bottom bracket (neither of them are either ISO or JIS from my understanding).

You paid $100 for this? That's a steal!

Yes, I'd sell the frame with the bb and crankset as it has been modified for the Mavic BB -- I'd also consider offering the wheelset with frame/fork ,bb, headset, and crankset as a package. Parting this thing out and selling on the forums here (lower sale prices, only fee is paid membership, no real hassles out side of shipping) or selling on FB (no packing and shipping hassles, but flakes galore!) or on eBay (max price potential, but lots of fees and shipping hassles, plus flakes!) will net you multiples of your purchase price.

EDIT -- I just realized the wheels are a mismatch set, so no, not part of a package.
Old 02-26-23, 08:16 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2928 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,490 Posts
I need another bike like a like a need a another hole in my head but unless you're interested in getting rich off this I might be interested in the frame/fork and brake calipers

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-26-23, 02:48 PM
jbz255 

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I need another bike like a like a need a another hole in my head but unless you're interested in getting rich off this I might be interested in the frame/fork and brake calipers
Currently have the whole bike listed locally; if it doesn't see any interest this week I can let you know. If I do sell the frameset, I am debating on whether or not I'd want to hold on to the brake calipers for a future project.
Old 02-28-23, 09:22 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
Nice bike and nice lugged frame congrats on the purchase