Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

End of the road for Shimano Sora, Claris, Tiagra, Alivio, Acera, Altus groupsets

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

End of the road for Shimano Sora, Claris, Tiagra, Alivio, Acera, Altus groupsets

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 07:41 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Its all over blogs associated with car sales and the automotive world. Ford, GM & others proposed it to increase revenue without needing to sell more vehicles. Example cited is a proposal to charge for heated seats, so you guys in the upper Midwest are going to be screwed in the winter unless you pay up. Dealers are against it as they want a share of the revenue since they have to repair stuff associated with the software-controlled features. The dealers associations are also suing manufacturers in about a dozen states over it, as well as to prevent direct sales to consumers ( like Tesla does). While reading about it on the web I thought bicycle manufacturers might try it, too.
I'd seen it with the auto industry, but hadn't thought about it for the bike industry. If you look at what Shamino did to Hammerhead when it was acquired by SRAM, it's certainly possible. One ring to control them all.

Last edited by seypat; 03-10-23 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-10-23, 09:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
And I sure as heck hope it's just that! What I'm saying is, who's to say that they won't eventually make everything - including the next generation of CUES - Di2, because steel derailleur cables are so 1970s? No one ever thought that the bread-and-butter 105 would ever go Di2 because everyone felt it would be against its very intrinsic workhorse nature, and yet here we are! Who's to say that this iteration of CUES isn't just a stopgap for the next-generation CUES Di2? After all, it makes sense: instead of designing and manufacturing three Di2 systems for Claris/Ultus, Sora/Acera, and Tiagra/Alivio, just make one Di2 system that's simply programmable for the cassette's number of speeds! There's nothing stopping them from building in some sort of remote metrics system into it, and eventually, some walking, talking sphincter of an investor with boardroom clout will see the financial potential of a subscription model and force it down their corporate throats! Other OEMs - from SRAM to L-twoo - will inevitably follow suit, and we'll all be living in cycling's version of 1984. I sure hope I'm just fantasizing!
It was inevitable that 105 would go electronic the second SRAM announced Rival AXS, even though Shimano were in denial for some time. I remember a few threads about that here. I can fully imagine the lower tiers going electronic too eventually, but I highly doubt it will be on a subscription model. I just don't think it fits with the market for CUES.
Old 03-10-23, 09:47 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It was inevitable that 105 would go electronic the second SRAM announced Rival AXS, even though Shimano were in denial for some time. I remember a few threads about that here. I can fully imagine the lower tiers going electronic too eventually, but I highly doubt it will be on a subscription model. I just don't think it fits with the market for CUES.
Since when did investors give a damn about what fits or doesn't fit the market or the consumer? Try saying, "Eff'em! Let'em pay up!" in a British accent (or, better yet, an Australian one ) and see how that feels like.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 03-10-23, 11:43 AM
seypat

I don't see what there is to leverage in CUES with a subscription model. There is no software, no data, no online connection. Just simple, mechanical hardware. If you want to upgrade your CUES hardware, you just buy the relevant upgrade hardware. That's the whole point of making it cross-compatible. What you are suggesting above is just fantasy.
They could do it for all of their lines if they wanted to. Once they eliminated the cable pull, a single designed RD could shift any speed going up or down the line. A FD is a FD. You can make one shift in almost any system. Remember, you thought my idea about them making a single system that would shift multilple speeds was stupid also. Let the record stand that I suggested that before the CUES news popped up. Then Shimano annouces the new system almost exactly as I suggested. I was actually more concerned that nobody picked up on my pop culture reference. Well, I got 3 likes on it so maybe a few did.

If the drivetrain companies really wanted to sell me electronic products, here's what they should do. Take whatever system they have and offer me a version of it for each DO spacing from 120 to the present. Use the same shifters/derailleurs on each. Offer it in 1x, 2x and 3x. The only thing different would be the number of gears in the back and the way the system is programmed. With no cable needed, it would be easy to do. No extra skus either except for the different cassettes or crankset options. I would be far more likely to upgrade a bike or two that way than what is currently offered. What am I missing?

This might sound like a talking head to some though. Maybe I should stop making sense.
Old 03-10-23, 11:49 AM
seypat

I think the subscription platform could be aimed at the high end groups. I'd rather pay a subscription to get a new set of wheels and a cassette with more gears and have my derailleurs/shifters reprogrammed than have to buy a whole new group. Then you'd just have to replace various components piecemeal as they wear out. Sounds like a plan.
Old 03-10-23, 04:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
That's one of about a zillion reasons (a major one being... see my avatar) why I lost all interest in new automobiles after about 2009 (the model year of the last - and probably final - new car I bought.)
My wife will never understand the real reason I drive a 20-year-old Honda which generates about as much power as I do .... that five-speed gearbox and hydraulic clutch ..... every shift is a chance at perfection, and the gear is so good, most shifts are good enough to be really satisfying. And with a 1.7 inline four, I get Lots of chances to shift.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-10-23, 04:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by seypat
. I was actually more concerned that nobody picked up on my pop culture reference. Well, I got 3 likes on it so maybe a few did.
Saw them on that tour, in fact. Also saw David Byrne's afro-cuban thing. Very high-quality musical entertainment IMO. But uhhh .... "pop culture"? That is from the far distant past by now, friend.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-10-23, 04:49 PM
Maelochs

I think the subscription platform could be aimed at the high end groups. I'd rather pay a subscription to get a new set of wheels and a cassette with more gears and have my derailleurs/shifters reprogrammed than have to buy a whole new group. Then you'd just have to replace various components piecemeal as they wear out. Sounds like a plan.
Yeah .... but how much would you pay each month just to be able to use your shifters?

Imagine getting all hyped up and kitted out for a long, hard ride---energy drinks, water, gels, picked your best-fitting bibs and gloves, psyched yourself for the hills ... wheel you bike out and you owe for a software update, but the office is closed until Monday morning Japan time ... sorry, no ride.
Old 03-10-23, 04:54 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Originally Posted by Maelochs
My wife will never understand the real reason I drive a 20-year-old Honda which generates about as much power as I do .... that five-speed gearbox and hydraulic clutch ..... every shift is a chance at perfection, and the gear is so good, most shifts are good enough to be really satisfying. And with a 1.7 inline four, I get Lots of chances to shift.
I came very close to buying me a stick shift 1998 Civic EX with no power assist from a compatriot expat who was leaving the country a few months ago. By the time I mustered up his asking price, turned out he had already sold the car a day prior. Would've made a nice compliment to my 1982 Peugeot 504 wagon, but oh well.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 03-10-23, 07:57 PM
seypat

Yeah .... but how much would you pay each month just to be able to use your shifters?

Imagine getting all hyped up and kitted out for a long, hard ride---energy drinks, water, gels, picked your best-fitting bibs and gloves, psyched yourself for the hills ... wheel you bike out and you owe for a software update, but the office is closed until Monday morning Japan time ... sorry, no ride.
Funny you should mention that. Earlier in the evening as I was leaving my place of business, I jumped into my vehicle and turned the key. Nothing happened. I had some place to be, so I pulled the van out of the warehouse and used it. Now back diagnosing what is wrong. The starting had been suspect for about a week. Looks like I'll be getting a new battery in the morning. Good thing I have a spare vehicle. That situation is somewhat similar to the scenario you listed. I don't have electronic shifting myself. I'm satisfied with mechanical. I would also be one of those that you describe in your scenario, but I have multiple bikes. It wouldn't be much of an issue for me. If you read the pro electronic side of the electronic shifting thread, all of the blame for a situation like that is placed on the rider. According to most, the electronic systems from each company are so good that situations like that shouldn't be a problem. I guess the update issue you describe would fall on the rider's shoulders. If I didn't have multiple bikes it would be a problem for me.
Old 03-10-23, 08:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I am thinking of the folks who cvome here asking "What bike should I buy?" Trying to recall (or learn) which made-up Shimano name indicates which level of refinement must make it hard for salesmen, as well, to push a product: "This model has Acero, but this one has Alivio!" "Can't modern medicine cure those conditions?"

Whoever named them Acero and Alivio was a real Azzholo. I can never keep them straight.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-10-23, 09:00 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Daihatsu Charade Social Poze
Daihatsu Naked
Isuzu GIGA 20 Light Dump
Mazda Bongo Friendee
Mazda Scrum Mitsubishi Legnum
Nissan Big Thumb
Nissan Homy Super Long
Toyota Deliboy
Toyota Isis
Toyota Tank
Old 03-11-23, 07:11 AM
PeteHski

They could do it for all of their lines if they wanted to. Once they eliminated the cable pull, a single designed RD could shift any speed going up or down the line. A FD is a FD. You can make one shift in almost any system. Remember, you thought my idea about them making a single system that would shift multilple speeds was stupid also. Let the record stand that I suggested that before the CUES news popped up. Then Shimano annouces the new system almost exactly as I suggested. I was actually more concerned that nobody picked up on my pop culture reference. Well, I got 3 likes on it so maybe a few did.
No I don't remember saying that. Certainly not in this context. CUES seems like a good idea to me. But I don't think they will take it as far as having a single programmable electronic hardware set for all levels. Top level components will always be more premium in design, materials, quality and precision. Lower end components will be cheaper regardless of cross compatibility with the higher end. Basically like it is now, but with more compatibility across the range.

But this is well beyond what CUES is. It's not even electronic for a start.
Old 03-11-23, 08:06 AM
Maelochs

CUES seems like a good idea to me. But I don't think they will take it as far as having a single programmable electronic hardware set for all levels. Top level components will always be more premium in design, materials, quality and precision. Lower end components will be cheaper regardless of cross compatibility with the higher end.
I imagine Shimano will eventually have a wide-spread "Low-range" group for both road and off-road .... like CUES .... to simplify every aspect of the business. No more 7.8.9 .... just "Lo-Range" or whatever name they invent.

As Mr. peteHski points out, the high-end stuff is its own beast. There is too much money to be made there, too much "cachet" in the minds of many riders (even cyclists buy brands) to give up .... and by having tiers of higher-end stuff, they can also have pricing tiers up to the ridiculous .... "Dura-Ace---it's what the Real racers use" sort of thing.

CUES and whatever road version I am sure will come eventually, are just simplifying the lower-end and mass-sale-to-manufacturer market .... squeezing out more profit through efficiency at the price ranges where increased cost might be prohibitive.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-11-23, 08:38 AM
PeteHski

I imagine Shimano will eventually have a wide-spread "Low-range" group for both road and off-road .... like CUES .... to simplify every aspect of the business. No more 7.8.9 .... just "Lo-Range" or whatever name they invent.

As Mr. peteHski points out, the high-end stuff is its own beast. There is too much money to be made there, too much "cachet" in the minds of many riders (even cyclists buy brands) to give up .... and by having tiers of higher-end stuff, they can also have pricing tiers up to the ridiculous .... "Dura-Ace---it's what the Real racers use" sort of thing.

CUES and whatever road version I am sure will come eventually, are just simplifying the lower-end and mass-sale-to-manufacturer market .... squeezing out more profit through efficiency at the price ranges where increased cost might be prohibitive.
Shimano is basically following SRAMs lead here. More cross-compatibility at various quality/price levels. For example SRAM Eagle 12speed covers a lot of ground from cheap to uber-expensive components, but it's nearly all cross-compatible between tiers.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-14-23, 06:29 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’ve decided to defer the hand-wringing to a later date. I’m still running recently made friction shifters, a Suntour Cyclone RD and just nabbed a NOS Suntour Ultra 6 14-19 freewheel. So I expect we will still be able to source the much more recent but soon to be discontinued Shimano products for a number of years. And what Shimano is replacing them with seems to make some sense.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 03-21-23, 02:16 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
One thing from the thread: Microshift is Taiwanese; still Chinese culturally, but definitely not part of mainland China. Microshift, Sunrace and other new drivetrain alternatives are Taiwanese (democratic country/Republic of China). LTwoo and Sensah are mainland Chinese (communist country/People's Republic of China). The mainland stuff is having a moment with certain YouTubers, but the Taiwanese stuff is still much better.

That said, I think CUES looks great and I look forward to running it sometime in the coming years after my current stash of parts is depleted. I love the move to sealed bearing hubs especially and the cross compatibility of chains etc. I am sure Claris, Sora and Tiagra will follow at some stage, and the idea of common pull ratios across the board, for things like flawless road-MTB touring set ups, is awesome.

Someone pointed out the problem for shops with now obsolete inventory on their hands, but I can't see it as a huge issue. I am really interested to see what happens with 2024 bikes, due in a few months' time. I think we'll see a lot of U6000 and U4000 level stuff on MTBs and hybrids, with a bunch of U8000 stuff on European trekking bikes. Note that the Alivio-Deore-XT Shimano trekking groupsets have now gone, so there may be some long dark coffee klatsches of the soul in certain continental quarters. No more 26-36-48 XT triples, just 1x or 2x...
Old 03-21-23, 02:21 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

:: This thread has been relocated to Politics & Religion. ::