Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Thoughts on 1972 Raleigh Professional

Old 01-31-23, 09:24 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairlane63
According to this site the 72 came with a six-speed freewheel. The free wheel is the only part that is not original to the bike I think Is an NOS freewheel unobtanioum.
A good number of components do not look original to me. Granted these largely comprise consumables, so we would expect some swaps along the way.
* the '72 Pro came with the wide-rivet Brooks Professional
* derailleur pulleys come from a much later period. One rarely finds the "Brev Camp" ones.
* the chain does not look like the usual Regina
* cables and housing
* toe straps
* tires
* the rims look like replacements

Still, fantastic condition and a nice acquisition. Congratulations!
Old 02-24-23, 03:53 PM
Fairlane63

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 37 Posts
Well thought I would update my post. I have since got tires on her and cleaned and checked everything.
Made some brake tweaks and took her for a spin. Man does she ride nice. So many memories came back riding her around the hood.. For us kids at the time it was a Paramount or the Professional we all lusted after. At least in Palo Alto where I grew up.
First time on tubulars in decades but the ride was great and they did not come off so I must have done a good job.
Back rim has a tiny bit of a flat spot so I sourced some vintage Campy Record high flange hubs attached to Weiman rims which should be a good vintage match. Just need to find the right freewheel for it now.
Will see about getting the original straightened at some point.
My wife thinks she needed a name and I have always loved the name kitty, very English public school. So kitty is my new cougar.

Likes For Fairlane63:
Old 02-24-23, 04:12 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Yes, Kitty is beautiful. Like many here I love the Mink Blue/Silver colorway. Pure class. And the chrome fork crown is sublime. I noticed the insertion marks on the stem. I wonder whether that indicates it has had 4 previous owners? Never saw one quite like that.

Enjoy!
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-24-23, 04:28 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude

...I noticed the insertion marks on the stem. I wonder whether that indicates it has had 4 previous owners?
Or a PO brought the stem up higher a bit at a time to facilitate a better fit as he/she aged.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-24-23, 04:57 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 422 Posts
Looks great!

Congratulations, especially for the sew-ups!
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 04-07-23, 06:27 PM
CraigAustin

Bikes: Colnago, Paramount, Fuso

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love reflecting red/yellow tape!
Old 04-09-23, 03:14 PM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
The rims appear to be AVA which were OE on Raleigh Pros in the early 70’s. They also came with Campy brake cables and silver/gray housings.
Measuring Raleigh frame sizes appeared to be BB center to intersection of where the top of the top tube would be, which with the Professional is above the scalloped top of the seat tube.
The shop I was at sold a bunch and parted out a lot more when Raleigh would have a sale on them for not much more than the price of the Campy gruppo.