Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for new wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Looking for new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 10:45 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Looking for new wheels

OK I want to get a new set of training wheels. I would like wider rims. Around 24-25mm width at braking surface. So around 17mm internal width.
They need to have aluminum braking surface. Bonus if they are carbon in the middle.
Does such thing even exist? I looked at Fulcrum, Ritchey, Vision, and all carbon wheels have carbon braking surface. All aluminum wheels have 21-22 mm width.
Budget is under a 1000.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by UmneyDurak; 11-14-17 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-14-17, 11:59 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
The dura ace c40 has those widths with aluminum brake track.

Not too far over your budget in the UK shops.

I have the narrower c24s and like them a lot.
Old 11-15-17, 12:20 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
The dura ace c40 has those widths with aluminum brake track.

Not too far over your budget in the UK shops.

I have the narrower c24s and like them a lot.
Scratch that.

There's some funny business with the clincher version where shimano published the wrong specs.

It's still narrow like the c35.
Old 11-15-17, 12:46 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Velocity Quill?

Velocity Wheels - Hand Made in USA
Old 11-15-17, 01:11 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by f4rrest
Scratch that.

There's some funny business with the clincher version where shimano published the wrong specs.

It's still narrow like the c35.
Oh well. Thanks for suggestion anyway.

Originally Posted by superdex
Hmm, that would fit the bill... How is the durability of the rims?
Old 11-15-17, 01:33 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Hed Belgium Plus .... I have them laced to Chris King R45 hubs with Sapiem C-XRay spokes .... I'm using tubeless tyres on these and I'm well pleased

get the rims and get decent hubs/spokes. My suggestion is get tubeless ready rims. This alows you to use tubeless and/or clincher tyres
Old 11-15-17, 06:01 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
OK I want to get a new set of training wheels. I would like wider rims. Around 24-25mm width at braking surface. So around 17mm internal width.
They need to have aluminum braking surface. Bonus if they are carbon in the middle.
Does such thing even exist? I looked at Fulcrum, Ritchey, Vision, and all carbon wheels have carbon braking surface. All aluminum wheels have 21-22 mm width.
Budget is under a 1000.

Any other suggestions?
Perhaps Flo 60s?
FLO Cycling - Rear FLO 60
Old 11-15-17, 06:32 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
All aluminum wheels have 21-22 mm width.?
What? There are zillions of aluminum rims of every size and shape.

Velocity Quill mentioned above would be a good choice. I have a set of the A23 Pros. No complaints.
Old 11-15-17, 06:45 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PSIMET A300
24mm rim width
1400g weight
Bulletproof
Tubleless-ready
$629

I adore mine.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega

Last edited by cydewaze; 11-15-17 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-15-17, 06:50 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Industry Nine i25 TL Classics are $900 srp, tubeless. 19mm internal, 23.5mm outer width. They have a lighter version too

You can build them direct from them with some custom options on their site if that appeals to you.

I got a new set for $599 on ebay, at this price i felt they were a steal.

Absolutely impeccable built wheel with amazing hubs. Actually like the Torch hubs better than the DuraAce ones on my C50's.

They look the part and roll the part of what you expect of an expensive clincher wheelset. I say this because i've seen many expensive wheelsets that don't look built any better than $200 Fulcrum 5's, which is quality budget wheelset in its own right.

Another nice set of alum lightweight clincher set ATM is the HED Ardennes Feather LT at $650 ($900 srp) at MBS

https://www.mybikeshop.com/collectio...-full-warranty

Hunt Aero Wide
HUNT Race Aero Wide | Road Wheelset | 1487g | 31Deep 24Wide $524

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/produ...-31deep-24wide

Last edited by Esthetic; 11-15-17 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-15-17, 10:34 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
OP, look for a used set of Hed Jets. They are essentially Hed Belgium rims with a carbon fairing.

They won't be light, but you should be able to find a decent set in your price range used.
Old 11-15-17, 12:00 PM
eric1971

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Williams System 31

Williams System 31 Alloy Clincher Wheelset
Old 11-15-17, 07:04 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’ll add another bump for HED. I picked up a pair of JET+ 50s from Performance Bike for $799 after a 20% off coupon. My understanding is that all of the JET+ are Ardennes+ rims with a carbon fairing of various sizes (40mm and up depending on model). I’m going to be looking for a set of Ardennes+ at some point in the future.

They work great if you want a tubeless setup or want to look at that in the future.
Old 11-15-17, 08:22 PM
MauiKai
Thats "MISTER Poopypants"

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac with Shimano RS81s and 105s

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Shimano RS81 C35s and got them for well under $1000. They aren't as wide (20.8mm) as you hoped for, but they do have an aluminum braking surface, but they are durable and weigh a tad over 1600g.
Attached Images
Old 11-16-17, 01:48 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Cool. Thanks for suggestions everyone.
What about Bontrager aeolus 5 comp? Anyone have experience with those?
Old 11-16-17, 02:57 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3138 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 1,031 Posts
I’m not sure if you’re wedded to 24 - 25mm width for some reason (such as multi-set wheel swaps without brake readjustment), but if not, the American Classic Argent are category-leading aluminum wheels.

They’re tubeless ready, 22mm external, but 19.4mm wide internally. Rim depth is 30mm front and rear, and they’re laced with wide, aero spokes to killer hubs with 2:1 lacing in the rear and AC’s trick nipples. Weight is 1392gm. Cost is $900 direct from AC, taped and ready roll with a set of one of the best skewers in the biz. I see ModernBike selling them for $814 right now.

I’ve run a set since ‘13 (when they were $1.4k) and they’re impeccably reactive and fast. They were way out front spec-wise then, but are still probably the best alu wheelset on the market for those who want it all: build quality, lightweight, aero, wide, stiff, strong, and smartly designed. And you can pick up the phone to talk to real AC techs right here in Florida.

I’ve been wheel shopping for a build I’m working on, and if I don’t go carbon rims, I’ll go Argent again. The one feature I’d kind of like to see for Argent is a durable PVD ceramic oxide coating like Mavic’s Exalith or DT Swiss Oxic; it’s really just a fashion thing in my mind because I want the dark carbon fiber look but I don’t really want carbon brake track hassles, though the oxide coating is supposed to improve wet braking performance, which I see plenty of, and at 225lbs, can really appreciate!

Other wide wheels I think are cool are Boyd Altamont with ceramic coating, which look super cool, and if you’re lighter, the DT Swiss PR1400 DiCut Oxic. Industry i9 were mentioned upthread, and Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite and Campagnolo Shamal Mille squeak in there with 17mm bsw and brake track coatings. But for the stuff which really matters to me, AC Argents still offer more than other other wheelset.
Old 11-16-17, 06:51 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. Thanks for suggestions everyone.
What about Bontrager aeolus 5 comp? Anyone have experience with those?
I don't have that wheel, but I do have a set of Aura 5 TLRs, which are similar (aluminum braking surface, carbon faring) and I love them. I paid $680, but they've been on sale for a couple of months, so they may be hard to find. But the Aeolus 5 is probably just as nice, and I'm not sure what the actual difference is other than the Aura has straight-pull spokes and is normally like $1100 MSRP. Weight maybe? The Auras are like 1750g.

Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega

Last edited by cydewaze; 11-18-17 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-17-17, 09:47 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by chaadster
I’m not sure if you’re wedded to 24 - 25mm width for some reason (such as multi-set wheel swaps without brake readjustment), but if not, the American Classic Argent are category-leading aluminum wheels.

They’re tubeless ready, 22mm external, but 19.4mm wide internally. Rim depth is 30mm front and rear, and they’re laced with wide, aero spokes to killer hubs with 2:1 lacing in the rear and AC’s trick nipples. Weight is 1392gm. Cost is $900 direct from AC, taped and ready roll with a set of one of the best skewers in the biz. I see ModernBike selling them for $814 right now.

I’ve run a set since ‘13 (when they were $1.4k) and they’re impeccably reactive and fast. They were way out front spec-wise then, but are still probably the best alu wheelset on the market for those who want it all: build quality, lightweight, aero, wide, stiff, strong, and smartly designed. And you can pick up the phone to talk to real AC techs right here in Florida.

I’ve been wheel shopping for a build I’m working on, and if I don’t go carbon rims, I’ll go Argent again. The one feature I’d kind of like to see for Argent is a durable PVD ceramic oxide coating like Mavic’s Exalith or DT Swiss Oxic; it’s really just a fashion thing in my mind because I want the dark carbon fiber look but I don’t really want carbon brake track hassles, though the oxide coating is supposed to improve wet braking performance, which I see plenty of, and at 225lbs, can really appreciate!

Other wide wheels I think are cool are Boyd Altamont with ceramic coating, which look super cool, and if you’re lighter, the DT Swiss PR1400 DiCut Oxic. Industry i9 were mentioned upthread, and Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite and Campagnolo Shamal Mille squeak in there with 17mm bsw and brake track coatings. But for the stuff which really matters to me, AC Argents still offer more than other other wheelset.
Cool will check them out. The improved wet performance intrigues me. Main reason I want none-carbon brake surface. My Fulcrum Quatro wheels are borderline suicidal in the rain.
Old 11-17-17, 09:48 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by cydewaze
I don't have that wheel, but I do have a set of Aura 5 TLRs, which are similar (aluminum braking surface, carbon faring) and I love them. I paid $680m but they've been on sale for a couple of months, so they may be hard to find. But the Aeolus 5 is probably just as nice, and I'm not sure what the actual difference is other than the Aura has straight-pull spokes and is normally like $1100 MSRP. Weight maybe? The Auras are like 1750g.
Awesome thanks.
Old 11-18-17, 07:08 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome thanks.
Just looked it up. Advertised weight for Aura 5: 1720g. Aeolus 5 Comp: 1860g

So, straight pull spokes vs j-bend and 140g difference.

This place still lists the Auras on sale, and for a tiny bit less than the Aeolus: https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...s-286000-1.htm

But (like me) you have to get the white decals.

Old 11-28-17, 09:47 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by cydewaze
Just looked it up. Advertised weight for Aura 5: 1720g. Aeolus 5 Comp: 1860g

So, straight pull spokes vs j-bend and 140g difference.

This place still lists the Auras on sale, and for a tiny bit less than the Aeolus: https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...s-286000-1.htm

But (like me) you have to get the white decals.
Thanks. Scored a set from teammate on the cheap.
Old 11-29-17, 07:11 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Scored a set from teammate on the cheap.
Nice! Let us know how you like them once you get them.

Old 01-15-18, 01:08 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

So far I like them. Haven't tried them in a wet, but in a dry they have great stopping power. Also roll well and quite comfortable and seems to be stable with cross wind. They are on heavy side, but for training wheels they are good.
Old 01-22-18, 11:34 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I'm always hoping for an updated comparison test to have been published before shopping among current wheel offerings.

I've seen tests of the taller-section wheels where their aerodynamic values were compared, and would not pay anywhere near full price for any tall-section wheels without this sort of knowledge.

Can anyone point to any recent, good tests of the more "aero" wheels?

Years ago there was even a test that included some lower-profile wheels that had big aero differences even among them, which was valuable information to have.

Based on several factors I have recommended the RS81 C-35 Shimano wheels to others, some of whose previous wheels had suffered durability problems. The C35's have a seemingly dated 15mm inner width that nevertheless has worked well with 23 and 25mm tires for a very long time.
Old 01-23-18, 05:53 AM
Roadlizzard

Bikes: TREK 8000,Trek Domane 4.5,Felt FR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Look at Mavic Ksyrium Elite USD at Merlin Cycles, I order a set yesterday good price and they come with tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.