Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID edition #6

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID edition #6

Old 09-26-20, 11:59 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
I took my Clunker for a ride today.

Then I rode the bike. ;-) This was my second ride. I rode the first section of the Tualatin Valley Scenic Bikeway from Rood Bridge Park to Fernhill Wetlands, then took a slightly different route back, about 24 miles in total, brining me up to 60 kilometers.

I forgot that there were some adjustments I wanted to make after the last ride. The only thing I did was re-inflate the tires and ride, so I had to deal again with the slightly out-of-adjustment bottom bracket, slipping gears, too far forward saddle, and as you may notice in the pictures gradually increasing saddle tilt, not to mention still no kickstand. :-O

This old building is one of my favorite sights along the TV Bikeway, and a fitting backdrop for this bike.

Oak Knolls Winery and Tasting Room.

This way

A lot of farm land on this route

Put a bird on it!

Wetlands

I overcorrected the saddle tilt.

'Merica!

Sun power!

I'm hoping I remember to make the mechanical adjustments before my next ride, but even if I don't this bike is definitely growing on me.
Old 10-02-20, 10:54 AM
Splendidtutiona

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Competition, Guru Sidero, Soma Groove, Smolenski,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Peugeot P8

So, it occurs to me that I paid $80 for, as it turns out, is a 1982 Peugeot P8 in 2017(?). I was living in NJ and found this on Craigslist

Recent photo, little to no work done.
After some issues with other old bikes (stuck stems, losing bearings, stuck seatposts, bloody knuckles, and grease on the living room carpet) I was a little gun shy about tackling this. Then the COVID clunker challenge rolls around and...why not.

Holy crap! The seatpost and stem came right out! Without a hammer!
So, after bearings, brake and shifter cables, and 1 tube (all of which came out of my drawer o’ crap) I figure $10 in parts is safe. Grease and PB Blaster are free, right? So I’m at $90. Here’s hoping that 38 year old “made in France” tires hold up!

Post shakedown ride around the block last night.
I think it’s about 1 size too small. Which is odd, since I pretty much always ride a 54cm, which the frame claims this is

Sticker under bottom bracket
I’ve heard it said that everyone needs a gas pipe French frame in their Arsenal! Might as well use if for a clunker challenge. The only real problem is the rear wheel isn’t perfectly true, and rubs on the brake nicely every time the wheel goes around. I guess it’s just letting me know it hasn’t fallen off yet. Here’s to 100km!
Likes For Splendidtutiona:
Old 10-02-20, 03:43 PM
Splendidtutiona

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Competition, Guru Sidero, Soma Groove, Smolenski,

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
First ride, broken chain

Soooo

Crap
crap on a stick. One of the outer links was cracked, so I figured this was coming. Something like a half mile walk (purposefully didn’t go far). Might just take a link out (I think it was long anyway) but I do have an $8 chain I bought. We’ll see how surgery goes. 4km down, haha!

Before the break
Old 10-03-20, 05:21 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Well if my math is correct we have until into the second week of November before the 100 days of the challenge are up, My work contract ended at the close of September so that leaves me with some time on my hands in the short run and look what wondered across my path for $50 yesterday. A 1986, near as I can tell, Shogun prairie breaker I. I have been looking for a old Rockhopper but when I saw the biplane fork, bullmoose bars and thumbies in a bike my size I couldn't pass it up. The tires are mismatched and differing widths 2.125 in back and 1.5 up front but after lots of looking I did find some Schwable Jet city tires that would keep me (barely) under budget so if I can't stand the tires I can swap them out. This will be clunker # 2 in a year with the theme of bike brands I have never had in my stable before - Univega and Shogun.

FB Ad

with fender off and some initial tinkering

Old 10-03-20, 08:01 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
I have greased the headset and front wheel , but have not been able to get the crank bolts out so far. i have had the bike on a few short rides and am at 30.79 miles

Old 10-04-20, 02:21 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Supercourse Fondo A Go-Go, or

100km in one shot!

Yesterday morning, I woke up before dawn, checked my tire pressure, pulled on my kit, ate a bowl of oatmeal, and met a couple friends to ride 100km.

Running with Giants.

We had a typical Ohio fall day, with a frost advisory until 9 and afternoon temperatures in the low 60's.

43°F mostly cloudy with moody clouds.

On the way out, I learned where the Suntour V GT Luxe derailleur liked the Simplex prestige levers to be during gear changes. I also learned that the cooler temperatures shrink the aluminum bars and clamp enough that riding on the hoods would move the bars on me more easily than I like, especially over the bumpy and occasionally root-raised asphalt of the trails. I rode on the ramps or in the drops instead. It also became clear to me that while my hands might not lose all feeling in the cold, my joints will certainly move slower. We had a unanimous vote to buy a warm beverage when the opportunity arose.

Old whistle stop diner, basically halfway. Excuse the NDS shot.
The diner's coffee was excellent black, by diner standards. The clouds began thinning enough for the sun to start shining through. It was pleasant. Our destination was less than a mile away.
This destination was the goal.
I had intended to try some glamor shots with the bike in and around the bridge, but we were behind (a rather optimistic and frankly brutal) schedule. I took a couple pictures of the headbadge in nice light instead.

Glamour headshot.
We had a nice chat with a Senior walking his dogs at the park. His dachshund gave my rear tire a sniff and a short bark, which the gentleman translated as his dog telling me she likes my bike. He asked us where we came from and staggered when we told him we'd come from Columbus. "That's got to be 30 miles away! You guys must want to live to be 100!" We chatted for a few more minutes, then started the return leg. My GPS watch was running low on battery, so I started recording on my phone. My watch died about a quarter of the way back, so I'm glad I did; I needed to have a proof of my ride! A steady 6 mph quartering wind had picked up as well, first from the south, then later the north.
Returning to Columbus involved plenty of deceptive "invisible" climbs. Our route utilized the extensive and expanding network of MUPs that typically follow waterways, and now we were returning upstream. Just before the steepest incline of the ride, I realized my seatpost had been slipping imperceptibly, and I had lost 1-1.5 cm of height. I was really regretting not bringing an adjustable wrench along now. I weighed my options, then decided to add some zig-zags to my seatpost, for optimal pedaling efficiency when I really needed it.
Not long after that, I noticed my rear tire had gone flat after a section of the trail that uses an overpass that is always glittering with broken glass. My fellow riders were on Gatorskins and were happy their stiff, heavy tires fended off the sparkling shards. I was happy that I (as usual) had my flat kit and the frame pump.
About 9km from home my buddies peeled off to grab some lunch and a few beers. I had already finished my electrolyte mix, half a 500mL bottle of water, an apple and two Rxbars over the ride, but now my leg muscles were still threatening to cramp, with another two climbs left. I wished I still had bananas at home. The last bit I took easy, and rode in my small ring (I've turned in my "hard cyclist" card already &#128546 while stretching my muscles as best as I could. My children were outside playing and ran to hug me. I didn't mind trying to stay standing as they ran into me.

She might not look tired, but I was!

😬 Seatpost slipped down during the ride, now i have zig-zags. Boo.

I've decided that if I can ride this bike for 100km comfortably, then I'll keep it. I'm not entirely happy with the reach on the handlebars, but I'm sure that more time refining lever placement will help that.

I'm not sure how to account for the frame pump, as it's not permanently attached to the bike, and I routinely carry a pump of some sort and a toolkit for flats or other minor mechanical problems. Including that cost will put me over $100.

TLR
I rode the Supercourse for 110km in one go. I like the bike (and love the color) and will keep her in the stable. I couldn't tighten the 12mm nuts for my slipping handlebars and seatpost, and I had a flat.

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 10-04-20 at 09:32 PM.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 10-06-20, 02:09 PM
pcons713

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 8 Posts
Great SuperCourse clunker!
Likes For pcons713:
Old 10-09-20, 01:13 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

I decided for my second Clunker this year to have a theme - Combo Challenge! This Saturday the annual Coffeenuring challenge kicks off so I am going to ride the Shogun Prairie breaker a long way to coffee over the next few weeks. This week in addition to letting my lungs recover from the horrible AQI we had last month I am preparing the bearings on the Shogun for this Combo Challenge. I have completed the front hub, including mounting new rubber to the rim and the headset, the rear hub is done and the wheel is in the truing stand and the BB has been removed and is getting cleaned. With the new rubber I will be right up to the edge of the budget but I think it will be worth it just to avoid riding on suspect old knobbies. I Expect to have the bike ready to go by the 10th and my wind is improving.

Likes For ryansu:
Old 10-09-20, 04:24 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
So, I see the wear line in the bearing race around the cup above. I see that amount of wear frequently in hubs I use, but I've wondered if there's an indication of how much useful life is left in a hub like that. Anyone want to school me?
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 10-10-20, 04:25 PM
ryansu

Got all 4 bearings serviced and new tires (Schwable City Jet 26 x 1.5) mounted on clunker #2 , so my totals are: Bike $50, tires $47, front reflector replacement from stash 50 cents and water bottle cage from stash $1 =$98.50 total . I just did 2 miles to coffee as a shake down cruise, need to dial in saddle height and position but its in the ball park for fit, we shall see how it does on longer rides. 3.2 Kilometers down

Old 10-12-20, 08:51 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,127 Posts
57 kilometers yesterday puts me over 100. A warm, breezy ride out onto the Point Reyes Peninsula.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 10-12-20, 12:19 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by ryansu
Got all 4 bearings serviced and new tires (Schwable City Jet 26 x 1.5) mounted on clunker #2 , so my totals are: Bike $50, tires $47, front reflector replacement from stash 50 cents and water bottle cage from stash $1 =$98.50 total . I just did 2 miles to coffee as a shake down cruise, need to dial in saddle height and position but its in the ball park for fit, we shall see how it does on longer rides. 3.2 Kilometers down

That's a good looking bike, and I like the tire choice.
Old 10-12-20, 02:06 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, but with all the ridiculous pricing on used bikes around here, I didn't think I'd find a project, until yesterday.
I picked up this beat up Nishiki Sport on Offerup to the price of $40. It was in pretty sorry shape, but looked like a good project.
I stripped it down, polished up the heavily oxidized paint, which turned out surprisingly nice. I'm digging the pink.
There's a ding in the top tube, I might try to roll out, but it's pretty close to a cable guide. I'm considering possibly doing a fixed gear
or single speed conversion, but one thing is certain, it's about to get all Miami Vice up in here.

Likes For krakhaus:
Old 10-13-20, 07:40 AM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
I was tempted when I saw the ad. Glad to see another Nishiki saved......
Likes For Londonsworld:
Old 10-13-20, 02:03 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Londonsworld
I was tempted when I saw the ad. Glad to see another Nishiki saved......
It shouldn't be too hard to get this rolling and looking pretty good for under $100. The stem is bent like it got ran over by a truck, but somehow the bars and forks are straight.
Old 10-15-20, 04:07 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RandolphCarter
Alright.

I hadn't thought I'd participate in the Challenge this year.

Wife and I freed up a chunk of time next month by hiring a painter for our porch, instead of doing it ourselves.

So, more time (Yay!) and less money (Boo!). I can fit in one project bike. A 1995 Diamondback Joker:

Pulled this off a trash heap in 2019. It had been sitting outside for a while and I think it had spent some amount of time underwater. The wheels and bottom bracket were seized. The headset was surprisingly ok. Let's say it's worth $30.

But that drab charcoal gray is just too... bleh. - it needs a splash of color:

I have another set of wheels to toss on it, let's say $20 for them, along with $10 for some parts bin tires and tubes. Freewheel's currently soaking in paint thinner. I'll need pedals, grips, front brake housing, and a seat, all from from the parts bin, so another $15 there.

Reusing the original bars, stem, headset, cable detangler, rear brake, rear brake cable, cranks, and chainring. Not sure about brake levers, I may have tossed them,

I also have no idea how I'm going to ride 62 miles on this.
Got everything all together and have been buzzing around the neighborhood:

I've gotten 10-ish miles behind me so far. At least my neighbors think "fat old man on a kid's bike" is amusing, rather than creepy.

Another 52 miles is going to be a real challenge to get in on this thing.
Old 10-16-20, 11:52 AM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
cheat a little?

I think you should do like Natloz (see post #150 ) and hire a pro to do the riding!
Old 10-18-20, 07:15 PM
ryansu

Ride #2 on the Shogun combo challenge - coffee and clunker. Not very far as I still feel like I am riding with one lung tied behind my back. Hoping my breathing improves and I can do longer rides but I am chipping away and up to 8 kms

misty Sunday looking toward downtown Seattle
Old 10-19-20, 07:11 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
This Soma is the best Challenge bike I've had, a genuine pleasure to ride, but I just can't get any time to ride! I've only got in 28 miles! I'm going to have get busy and get some riding done.
Old 10-28-20, 04:30 PM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Challenge Complete

Well I finally managed to log the miles just in time to have knee surgery. It took some time and I think my longest ride was 18 miles with most of them in the 2-3 mile range. Now I can set about making much needed improvements:
-fenders
-rear rack
-wheels that are actually round
-possibly a front low rider rack
Likes For trailmix:
Old 11-08-20, 07:28 PM
Andy_K 

When does the challenge end?

After having neglected my Nishiki Clunker for a while, I got it back out on the road today. I had planned to know out the rest of the mileage today, but I was just meandering and guessing at how far I had ridden. I ended up with 20 miles today, brining my total for the challenge to 92.9 kilometers. There may not be another dry day here before this thing ends, but I can probably manage another five miles to finish it off in the next week or so.

I started out with a ride to Commonwealth Lake Park. You can't tell from the picture, but there were a lot of people there today. Very typical of this part of Portland, I overheard a couple of parents speaking to their children -- "It's not a native species." (probably talking about nutria, which are all over this lake) -- "when a heron is white it's usually called..." -- plus at least three people (two of them on cell phones) speaking middle eastern or south Asian languages I couldn't identify.

I think this is at the Cedar Hills Recreation Center. I really like when the leaves turn red.

From there I headed to the Highway 26 Bike Path, which gives you all the thrill of riding on a three lane highway without the danger. It's also a relatively flat route across the West Hills.

At the top I decided I better turn around and head home to make sure I didn't run out of daylight.

I still stopped for a couple more pictures. This is the wall at the base of the 26 Bike Path.

More fall colors against the evergreens, back in my own neighborhood.

And, finally, back home just before dusk.

Old 11-09-20, 06:43 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K

I still stopped for a couple more pictures. This is the wall at the base of the 26 Bike Path.

I love this.
Old 11-09-20, 09:23 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
When does the challenge end?

After having neglected my Nishiki Clunker for a while, I got it back out on the road today. I had planned to know out the rest of the mileage today, but I was just meandering and guessing at how far I had ridden. I ended up with 20 miles today, brining my total for the challenge to 92.9 kilometers. There may not be another dry day here before this thing ends, but I can probably manage another five miles to finish it off in the next week or so...
If my math is correct the challenge ends a week from this coming Thursday, on November 19th.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 11-09-20, 09:57 AM
ryansu

Well my plan for finishing the challenge on bike 2 was cut short by a doctor visit. My heart has been pumping at less than optimal levels so I am on some new meds, cutting back on exercise except for easy walking and hoping to get things on the right track for 2021 when hopefully my heart won't be the clunker.
Old 11-09-20, 11:30 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
Well my plan for finishing the challenge on bike 2 was cut short by a doctor visit. My heart has been pumping at less than optimal levels so I am on some new meds, cutting back on exercise except for easy walking and hoping to get things on the right track for 2021 when hopefully my heart won't be the clunker.
Sorry to hear that, Ryan. Best wishes for a full recovery!
Likes For nlerner:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.