Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle Soreness

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddle Soreness

Old 04-24-21, 08:57 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Saddle Soreness

I built up a new Roubaix Pro over the winter and I choose a Fizik Tempo Argo R1 saddle. I found it comfortable until I started doing longer rides. I'm not experiencing perineum pain nor any numbness, I just get saddle soreness. I did a 60-mile ride and I started feeling it the last ten miles. The next week, I did a 75-mile ride and I was really sore the last 40 miles. I rode 50 miles today and I was sore halfway through the ride. Should I stay with my current saddle and just get used to it, or is it time to jump ship and get another saddle. I have been through a lot of saddles and I know that getting used to a saddle takes some time. I have probably tried over 20 saddles and I've had the best luck with the Specialized Power Expert. If I jump ship, I'll probably get another Power Expert.

Last edited by Sojodave; 04-24-21 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-25-21, 09:15 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I built up a new Roubaix Pro over the winter and I choose a Fizik Tempo Argo R1 saddle. I found it comfortable until I started doing longer rides. I'm not experiencing perineum pain nor any numbness, I just get saddle soreness. I did a 60-mile ride and I started feeling it the last ten miles. The next week, I did a 75-mile ride and I was really sore the last 40 miles. I rode 50 miles today and I was sore halfway through the ride. Should I stay with my current saddle and just get used to it, or is it time to jump ship and get another saddle. I have been through a lot of saddles and I know that getting used to a saddle takes some time. I have probably tried over 20 saddles and I've had the best luck with the Specialized Power Expert. If I jump ship, I'll probably get another Power Expert.
+1 on the Power saddle...they are all the same (except the mirror, which is also stupidly expensive, but very comfortable).

Can you describe your soreness? Anatomically, what is sore?
Old 04-25-21, 01:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you change what your body is used to, then it'll gripe a little. Increasing distance is a change.
Old 04-25-21, 02:12 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Saddle choice has to be the most common recurring thread on this forum. The trouble is nobody can tell you what will or won't work for you since there are simply too many variables. So, all I can tell you is what works for me: a Brooks B17. Yes, the hard leather 100 year old design. I tried many "modern" saddles with NO luck at all.

Good luck...
Old 04-25-21, 04:24 PM
Sojodave

The rails on the Fizik Tempo Argo are alot longer than any saddle I've used. For kicks and giggles, I put on a Bontrager Aelous and I had to put on a longer stem to accommodate my reach. I'll try the Aeulos and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Sojodave; 04-25-21 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-25-21, 11:01 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Do you know the measurements that work for you, BB to saddle, saddle setback (complicated by the varying length of saddle noses these days), saddle to bar reach, saddle to bar drop? Have you attempted to replicate this in your current setup? Maybe I'm missing something, but this started out with questions about soreness, and now is about (saddle to bar?) reach?
Old 04-26-21, 08:31 AM
Sojodave

Originally Posted by Badger6
Do you know the measurements that work for you, BB to saddle, saddle setback (complicated by the varying length of saddle noses these days), saddle to bar reach, saddle to bar drop? Have you attempted to replicate this in your current setup? Maybe I'm missing something, but this started out with questions about soreness, and now is about (saddle to bar?) reach?
Yes, I do have measurements from a fitting from another bike. I am trying to replicate it as close as I can. I'm 6'4" with a long torso. The Roubaix geometry is different than my other bike. What is weird is that the reach on my old bike is 417 and the reach on my Roubaix is 395, but I feel more stretched out on the Roubaix with the same measurement fit.
Old 04-26-21, 08:55 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Yes, I do have measurements from a fitting from another bike. I am trying to replicate it as close as I can. I'm 6'4" with a long torso. The Roubaix geometry is different than my other bike. What is weird is that the reach on my old bike is 417 and the reach on my Roubaix is 395, but I feel more stretched out on the Roubaix with the same measurement fit.
Try this tool: https://www.velogicfit.com/frame-comparison

Unlike a comparison of just frame geometries, it actually goes one step further and approximates bar position (reach and vertical position of the bar) by taking into account spacer height and stem length. I've used it to fine tune bar pos on a bike that had a dramatically different geometry than any other bike I had, and it was almost on the money.

That said...have you figured out the source of the "soreness" or remedied it? If not, have you had your sit bones measured, and the saddle sized to you? Too narrow or too wide saddles can be a literal PITA, as I'm sue you are aware. I personally for years rode a 143, was convinced it was my size. Got measured, then tested out a 155...changed my life. Centuries didn't hurt anymore.
Old 04-26-21, 08:59 AM
Sojodave

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you change what your body is used to, then it'll gripe a little. Increasing distance is a change.
The pain is in my sit bone area and general soreness at the top of the back of the leg.
Old 04-26-21, 09:19 AM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Have you thought about saddle width? I went for years using saddles that were too narrow. When I found out I needed 155mm saddles a lot of my issues went away.

If it's your sit bones, it could be your saddle is the wrong width.
Likes For Doomrider74:
Old 04-26-21, 09:40 AM
Sojodave

I've tried the Ass-O-Meter 5 times at my local Specialized dealer. 3 times my sit bones said 130, 2 times it said 120. I've been on a 155 Power and my Fizik Tempo Argo is a 150. I've tried 145 saddles and they just felt too narrow.
Old 04-26-21, 10:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Never used a Ass-o-meter or any other thing to measure my sit bones. One thing everyone needs to know about the structures we call sit bones is that they are like the runners on a rocking chair. Curved and they get closer together as they go toward the front.

So while sitting upright, your sit bones will be further apart. While leaning forward and aero your sit bones will be closer together. So with one measurement on a ass-o-meter, you still have a bunch of saddle profiles to try to find the right one.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-26-21, 11:52 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
The pain is in my sit bone area and general soreness at the top of the back of the leg.
If you lean forward by rotating your pelvis instead of bending your back, then what happens is you roll forward onto the front tips of your sit bones, which get very achy. The fix is to rotate the saddle forward a little or use a saddle with a raised back, so the sit bones are flatter against it.

The other portion sounds like a muscle strain, but could also be the front of a flat saddle's wider portion digging into the muscle. The good news is tilting the saddle a little is likely to help, as is shifting the saddle ever so slightly back to relieve pressure. But it can also be muscle strain that is simple never given a chance to fully heal. If you ride by sitting fairly far back and pushing against the pedals at a low cadence, mainly using your quads, then what is preventing you from sliding back off the saddle is exactly that portion of your hamstring-glute overlap area jamming against the saddle - this could be another factor.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Last edited by sfrider; 04-26-21 at 11:56 AM.
Likes For sfrider:
Old 04-26-21, 12:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by sfrider
If you lean forward by rotating your pelvis instead of bending your back, then what happens is you roll forward onto the front tips of your sit bones, which get very achy. The fix is to rotate the saddle forward a little or use a saddle with a raised back, so the sit bones are flatter against it.

The other portion sounds like a muscle strain, but could also be the front of a flat saddle's wider portion digging into the muscle. The good news is tilting the saddle a little is likely to help, as is shifting the saddle ever so slightly back to relieve pressure. But it can also be muscle strain that is simple never given a chance to fully heal.
I kinda agree with you.

However we need to know what the OP is calling his sit bones that have the pain. I sort of perceived it really meaning that the pain more around the coccyx. Usually that is from sitting too upright too long. Pain or soreness in the taint or perineal area is usually from sliding forward on the saddle while maintaining an upright pelvis.

The narrower parts of the saddle require the narrower spaced parts of the sit bones. Leaning the pelvis with the body and keeping the back somewhat straight or just slightly rounded will help keep parts on the saddle that need to be on the saddle.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-26-21, 01:59 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Finding the perfect saddle is like finding the perfect avocado at the grocery store, it's HARD. I know mine isn't perfectly fitted for my arse, but I never really figured out how to find the perfect one without having to buy & try a few of them. I don't get soreness, but I do get numbness around my genital parts area when I stay on the saddle for an extended period of time. It happens on the days where I am too lazy to attack climbs.

Last edited by eduskator; 04-26-21 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-26-21, 02:04 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Adjust the seat angle a bit. I found that I was having the seat pointed down too much, I could barely last 50 miles. But my having it nearly level. soreness is nearly gone. But, that is my case, Could be different for you.
Old 04-26-21, 06:32 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Finding the perfect saddle is like finding the perfect avocado at the grocery store, it's HARD. I know mine isn't perfectly fitted for my arse, but I never really figured out how to find the perfect one without having to buy & try a few of them. I don't get soreness, but I do get numbness around my genital parts area when I stay on the saddle for an extended period of time. It happens on the days where I am too lazy to attack climbs.
Wait a minute. The perfect avocado shouldn’t be hard. If it’s hard then it’s not ripe yet, and therefore it’s useless, which is less than perfect for sammiches, sushi/sashimi, guacamole or tacos/burritos. And why would you want to eat a bike seat???
Old 04-26-21, 08:31 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I've tried the Ass-O-Meter 5 times at my local Specialized dealer. 3 times my sit bones said 130, 2 times it said 120. I've been on a 155 Power and my Fizik Tempo Argo is a 150. I've tried 145 saddles and they just felt too narrow.

I rode a 143mm Specialized Romin for years....when I hit 65-70 miles, it became a little uncomfortable, but not ridiculous. When I got my Domane in Oct, I tried the Bontrager Verse in 145. It felt a little wide, so I tried a 135mm and OMG, what a difference. The initial rides were a little odd with that same feeling of it being too narrow, but I had to make some slight fore and aft adjustments, but once I found the sweet spot, it was heavenly. I have this saddle on 3 of my bikes now and my wife is also using the Verse on her FX4. She went from a 155 Specialized saddle to a 145mm, and found it much more comfy. I think the ass-o-meter measures wide.

Also, until I found the Romin, I probably tried 5 different saddles

Last edited by jaxgtr; 04-27-21 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-27-21, 02:24 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Try another shorts to compare distance with comfort.
Likes For gios:
Old 04-28-21, 10:35 AM
Sojodave

Originally Posted by gios
Try another shorts to compare distance with comfort.
I have good quality bibs with good chamois from DNA cycling. Update, I bite the bullet and bought a Specialized Power Expert 155. I adjusted it according to my last fitting, took it for a ride around the block and I think I heard angels sing. I got the perfect balance between saddle and handlebars and I hope this cures my saddle soreness. I've got a big ride this Saturday, I'll see quickly.
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 04-28-21, 12:26 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I rode a 143mm Specialized Romin for years....when I hit 65-70 miles, it became a little uncomfortable, but not ridiculous. When I got my Domane in Oct, I tried the Bontrager Verse in 145. It felt a little wide, so I tried a 135mm and OMG, what a difference. The initial rides were a little odd with that same feeling of it being too narrow, but I had to make some slight fore and aft adjustments, but once I found the sweet spot, it was heavenly. I have this saddle on 3 of my bikes now and my wife is also using the Verse on her FX4. She went from a 155 Specialized saddle to a 145mm, and found it much more comfy. I think the ass-o-meter measures wide.

Also, until I found the Romin, I probably tried 5 different saddles
Same - running 135mm Verse on my Domane as well, and it is a very good fit to my skinny arse.

I have the Power Expert 145 on my other bike, and find it very comfortable. Two hours on it without a chamois, and I'm still good to go.
Old 04-28-21, 01:57 PM
htown_rider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I second this.
Old 04-28-21, 03:10 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Maybe the Argo Vento would be more suitable?
Old 04-29-21, 04:15 PM
Sojodave

Originally Posted by Elvo
Maybe the Argo Vento would be more suitable?
I tried the Argo Vento and it was a no-go. I really wanted to have the Argo Tempo work with my bum because it looks like the type of saddle I would get along with.
Old 04-29-21, 04:20 PM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
I was a devotee of the Spesh Toupe saddles but I really like the Power one that came on my Tarmac SL6. It doesn't bother me they discontinued the Toupe, now
Likes For Doomrider74:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.