Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Etiquette of Drafting

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Etiquette of Drafting

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-21, 04:42 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This thread has not disappointed.

The multitude of "drafting other riders" threads that inevitably pop up never do!

Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 12-05-21, 04:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-05-21, 05:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by BobsPoprad
Well, here's a thought. I had an unannounced drafter a bunch of years ago while on a organized ride. At some point a had to rid myself of a nice big loogie and sent it down and to the right. Good thing the guy on the recumbent had a wind screen.
it annoyed me when he yelled at me.
You blew a snot rocket on a recumbent rider that was drafting you uninvited? Okay, now this is a good thread!!!
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-05-21, 06:29 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I will never draft an unknown rider. I also don't like unknown riders drafting me as I might stop for some reason or even slow down to see something or for some other reason and I don't want them running into me. They're the one most likely to go down but they could do damage to my rear wheel, rear derailleur or me in the process.

Cheers
Old 12-05-21, 07:49 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
what's the hand signal to tell someone to take my wheel? Today I finally caught someone I'd been chasing and said hi and asked if I could rest on his wheel for a minute and he looked at me like I was stupid. Maybe he couldn't hear with his headphones idk. I drafted for a minute and then overtook him, and pointed at my back wheel. A couple miles later we are getting to a stop sign and I look back and he was drafting me. Did I do the correct signal? I love the impromptu pacelines that can happen on the big cycling roads.
Old 12-05-21, 07:56 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
what's the hand signal to tell someone to take my wheel? Today I finally caught someone I'd been chasing and said hi and asked if I could rest on his wheel for a minute and he looked at me like I was stupid. Maybe he couldn't hear with his headphones idk. I drafted for a minute and then overtook him, and pointed at my back wheel. A couple miles later we are getting to a stop sign and I look back and he was drafting me. Did I do the correct signal? I love the impromptu pacelines that can happen on the big cycling roads.
You actually invited the other rider for tea and biscuits.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-05-21, 08:45 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
i think a lot of people - me included - aren’t always sure at what point it goes from “riding on the same road as someone and behind them” to “drafting.”

seems like common sense (which may not govern here, i admit, i don’t know the secret handshake) would suggest you not ride behind a stranger so closely that if they stopped, you couldn’t stop before you hit them.

in the real world i’ve not actually seen this happen, on busy cycling roads, i either pass or get dropped, or slow a smidge and slide over to allow a pass.
Old 12-05-21, 09:24 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 441 Posts
I had two similar situations happen to me yesterday...though I was the drafter! First scenario is that I rolled up on 3 cyclists at the stoplight. We nicely greeted each other and then the light turned green. I was somewhat in a hurry, but I didn't want to burn energy trying to drop them, so I stayed a few bike lengths behind them until they went a different direction. Later that day on my way back home, I was at a light that turned green and I was just starting to roll. This cyclist came up behind me probably thinking I was a slow rider so he tried passing me. The dude looked kind of hardcore, but I figure if he thought he could drop me he'd eventually do it. Yet as I was waiting to be dropped, his pace was actually quite slow and I didn't feel like slowing my pace. So I just stuck with him for a mile or so, until we hit a red. I complimented him on his bike and we chatted about where we rode for the day. Eventually we forked different directions, but there was no ill feelings.

Since I ride in Los Angeles, I don't think there's animosity amongst riders, especially since the streets here can be quite dangerous. If anything there's a bit more camaraderie amongst cyclists.
Old 12-05-21, 09:57 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by mschwett
i think a lot of people - me included - aren’t always sure at what point it goes from “riding on the same road as someone and behind them” to “drafting.”

seems like common sense (which may not govern here, i admit, i don’t know the secret handshake) would suggest you not ride behind a stranger so closely that if they stopped, you couldn’t stop before you hit them.

in the real world i’ve not actually seen this happen, on busy cycling roads, i either pass or get dropped, or slow a smidge and slide over to allow a pass.
Drafting is when you can feel the benefits of the draft, which start at about 3 bike lengths. When drafting someone you always provide enough room so that if they need to do an emergency stop you can dodge it
Old 12-05-21, 10:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Drafting is when you can feel the benefits of the draft, which start at about 3 bike lengths. When drafting someone you always provide enough room so that if they need to do an emergency stop you can dodge it

This my be your opinion or what you do, but I can assure you, that isn't what everybody does. Most of the conversation here is in regard to drafters riding far closer.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-05-21, 11:26 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
….

Since I ride in Los Angeles, I don't think there's animosity amongst riders, especially since the streets here can be quite dangerous. If anything there's a bit more camaraderie amongst cyclists.
i usually find the same thing here (bay area) - a bit of chitchat at a light or while riding on a path wide enough for side by side, then the natural split of different speeds or directions.

the BF crowd is … exceptional.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 12-06-21, 06:01 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
BLUF: Don't draft a rider you don't know uninvited. It's not elitist or whatever some of you think, it is dangerous.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding on the part of some folks here, and it has nothing to do with elitism. If you are drafting me, you are within a half bike length or less. Don't do it unless we are part of the same group. Period. I do not want to spend my ride that started solo now worrying about someone who is using me to make their ride easier. That's a Fred move. If you're following me at three bike lengths, you aren't drafting, in fact, I have no idea what you're doing, because we aren't part of the same group and it just seems weird.

Now, if you aren't an introvert and you want to ride with me, ask first. I might say yes, and I might not. Often times I do interval training, and I don't want someone latching on because my tempo is going to go up and down depending on whether I'm on a work step or a recovery step.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-06-21, 07:23 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7651 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Around here, people will run you off the road if you try to pass ... even if you pass going in the opposite direction.

They will, however, then discuss where they ride ... and sometimes, though gestures, invite one for tea and biscuits ..... not to be confused for the gesture for biscotti, by the way.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-06-21, 07:29 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
2015 I received the "You have aggressive PCa - Gleason 10" *Prostate Cancer* and need to begin ADT *Androgen Deprivation Therapy i.e.-- chemical castration* immediately. I chose a bilateral Orchiectomy instead due to not wanting the drugs screwing with my body.

moral of above -- If anyone wants to draft me -- have at it -- cause at 71yo it makes my day/month/year since I don't know how much longer I'll be able to ride.

STRAVA -- Psycho Johnny
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 12-06-21, 07:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i usually find the same thing here (bay area) - a bit of chitchat at a light or while riding on a path wide enough for side by side, then the natural split of different speeds or directions.

the BF crowd is … exceptional.

That has nothing to do with ninja drafting. I'm a solo rider, and I have conversations with other riders a lot.

I don't care how friendly cyclists are in general, hugging the rear wheel of someone who doesn't know you're there is dangerous, and there's no justification for doing so unannounced.

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-06-21 at 07:46 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-06-21, 07:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I don't give a rat's behind if someone is 3-4 bike lengths behind me. I'm talking about people who tuck in a bike length or less, sometimes much less. If I don't know they are there (which can happen), I don't know I need to do something about it one way or the other. TBH, I don't want to ride with anyone close behind me like that, which is one of the reasons I don't do group rides.
Old 12-06-21, 10:23 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I think most of the problems with drafting today stem from trying to maintain a 6ft/2m distance recommended by health agencies.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-06-21, 10:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I think most of the problems with drafting today stem from trying to maintain a 6ft/2m distance recommended by health agencies.

John
Lethal snot rockets!
Old 12-06-21, 11:19 AM
LarrySellerz

Lions what would you do if someone told you they were on your wheel? I sometimes ask and sometimes just say hi and then tell them im on their wheel. Nobody has been like "get off" lol. most people are like "thanks for letting me know." I agree that being a silent ninja drafter is a dick move.

Frankly IMO if youre fast enough to draft I assume you are experienced and know what's going on, and if someone is confidant enough to latch onto your wheel they have the skills to save it if you emergency stop. You don't have to change how you ride or point out hazards. I get that you want to ride alone and try not to be a dick to guys like you. The group I ride with is full of cat 1s and we pass people way too closely, from talking with local cyclists we scare the crap out of them sometimes so I totally get that some people are more comfortable with riding close than others.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 12-06-21, 11:40 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Tapping your hip is the universal signal for "get on my wheel." And although you didn't ask, it's also important to know that flicking your elbow is the universal signal for "pull through."
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-06-21, 11:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Lions what would you do if someone told you they were on your wheel? I sometimes ask and sometimes just say hi and then tell them im on their wheel. Nobody has been like "get off" lol. most people are like "thanks for letting me know." I agree that being a silent ninja drafter is a dick move.

Frankly IMO if youre fast enough to draft I assume you are experienced and know what's going on, and if someone is confidant enough to latch onto your wheel they have the skills to save it if you emergency stop. You don't have to change how you ride or point out hazards. I get that you want to ride alone and try not to be a dick to guys like you. The group I ride with is full of cat 1s and we pass people way too closely, from talking with local cyclists we scare the crap out of them sometimes so I totally get that some people are more comfortable with riding close than others.

I already said what I've done in this situation, which so far has only arisen for me on paths--I said explicitly "I will slam my brakes for pedestrians and take no responsibility for warning you of anything." That tends to back people off. On the road, it's usually more a situation where a group manages to catch up and pass me then just flat fall off in speed to a speed far slower than what I was riding when they passed (I'm faster than I look so I think they gas themselves doing what they think should be an easy pass). In those situations, it's relatively easy to drop them at the first opportunity and confine the rude comments to the inside of my head.

Cat 1 or not, there's no excuse for close-passing people. The really good riders I know would not do this to strangers.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-06-21, 11:53 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I already said what I've done in this situation, which so far has only arisen for me on paths--I said explicitly "I will slam my brakes for pedestrians and take no responsibility for warning you of anything." That tends to back people off. On the road, it's usually more a situation where a group manages to catch up and pass me then just flat fall off in speed to a speed far slower than what I was riding when they passed (I'm faster than I look so I think they gas themselves doing what they think should be an easy pass). In those situations, it's relatively easy to drop them at the first opportunity and confine the rude comments to the inside of my head.

Cat 1 or not, there's no excuse for close-passing people. The really good riders I know would not do this to strangers.
Dropping a group is impressive. The first time I tried the fastest bay area ride on saturday they put a lady in the hospital and blamed her for it.. that's rare though apparently normally we just take ourselves out. The ride is spectrum but people call it wrecktrum.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 12-06-21, 12:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Dropping a group is impressive. The first time I tried the fastest bay area ride on saturday they put a lady in the hospital and blamed her for it.. that's rare though apparently normally we just take ourselves out. The ride is spectrum but people call it wrecktrum.

They sound like complete a-holes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-06-21, 12:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Unsolicited drafting of strangers is totally fine, just say hi so they know you are there. If two people are going roughly the same speed, it makes sense for them to work together. If you don't want someone drafting you, drop them or stop pedaling until they go on ahead. The exception IMO is drafting women, if they look uncomfortable you gotta do your best to drop em, but frankly most women who are fast enough to warrant drafting know what they are doing and are comfortable unless they are a triathlete. I've had some guys give me the cold shoulder when drafting them, but they never slowed down to make me pass so I know its an ego thing on their side. Its really not that complicated, its part of cycling. Also, if you want them to pass you you can flick your elbow out to signal to them to pass.
Okay, let me make official then - Please don't draft me. I'll be the big old bastard on one of 9 different bikes.

Trust me, Larry - this time of year, you don't want to draft me. Cool air makes my nose run like a faucet. I was leading the monthly SF Peninsula C&V ride on Saturday, and it was TORTURE not to be able blow my nose. You can only get so far wiping your nose on your glove and then your glove on your bibs.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-06-21, 12:11 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
They sound like complete a-holes.
Do you remember the video Larry posted......riders blowing threw downhill left turn stop signs with traffic oncoming. Cat 1? Cat (1 + 5) is more like it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.