Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

1UP racks

Old 03-09-22, 02:38 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The other weird thing about One-up is that the two engineers behind it split and started two rival companies. (This happened about the time I was looking.) How did that get resolved?
Per discussion above, QuikR is the result of a former 1UP inventor/engineer getting with a couple business-savvy guys and launching a startup in 2020 with their vision of an improved 1UP rack.

Who is the other one?
Old 03-09-22, 02:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
I don't remember, but there were 2 at the beginning, and at one point both were selling the same or almost identical products under 1-up USA and 1 up USA and it was impossible for me to figure out which one it was. I think they were having a patent dispute and there was an ugly falling-out. So maybe the QuikR is the split-off? I had pretty much forgotten about that until just now.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-09-22, 02:48 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
The other weird thing about One-up is that the two engineers behind it split and started two rival companies. (This happened about the time I was looking.) How did that get resolved?
I thought one of them was still with 1UP.
Old 03-09-22, 02:50 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I thought one of them was still with 1UP.
At one point there were two of them, two companies, and the only difference in their names was a hyphen. That was when i was buying and I decided to avoid the soap opera altogether, even though I sort of wanted one more than my Kuat.
Old 03-09-22, 04:07 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
this thread has been awesome, I learned a ton about racks and all the little things they have. I am grateful for the knowledge base on here.

I am going 1up....I doubt I will regret it.

thanks all!
You won't regret it. Even though it has some shortcomings for me, it's better than the previous Thule racks I have owned.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-09-22, 06:24 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

At one point there were two of them, two companies, and the only difference in their names was a hyphen. That was when i was buying and I decided to avoid the soap opera altogether, even though I sort of wanted one more than my Kuat.
That may be the case (I don't remember that) but in any event, it looks like one of them went on to found Quikrstuff and the other is still with 1UP.

Interestingly, 1UP has made a few other products. I have two 1UP bike trainers (a Magnitude and a CPR-A200). Both are VERY well made, and fold up small.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-14-22, 09:36 PM
traycerb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Quik Rack ("Mach2" technically), and it's great. The cost exceeds the entire combined cost of bikes I've ever purchased over my lifetime.

But it takes the friction to go out to ride to zero. I don't even leave it on my car, but can affix it within 2 minutes, including the time to walk it out to my car. It works seamlessly and simply. It addresses all of the issues with the 1up, and, having seen the 1up driving by, looks better too.

Is it worth it? It depends on if it's worth it to you to have something you don't have to worry about, that does its job without hassle, complications, or adornment. I can't emphasize enough how super-cheap I am, and would never spend on bikes what some people do, but I felt the Quik Rack was entirely worth it.
Likes For traycerb:
Old 03-15-22, 04:38 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I just go back from taking a 20 year old Yakima heavy duty bike rack to the local recycle store. A good bike rack is a long term investment. For mountain bikes and e-bikes which are heavier a car mounted rack is not a good choice. Platform type are the most versatile but these come in two flavors, the ones that have a mechanism that clamps to the bike's frame, and the ones that secure the front and rear tires as with the 1Up racks.

I highly recommend the type that has a platform for the bike's tires and a mechanism that secures the tires and not the frame as the frame type have problems with step through bikes and with carbon frames.

For three bikes there is the matter of having to reach past the front platforms to get to the one in the back for the first bike. This is where bike weight becomes important. When I had two heavy fat tire e-bikes I needed to adapt a motorcycle ramp so I could use it with the 1UP rack. The 1UP ramp is too short and the design is flawed as it bolts to the rack and precludes having a license plate mounted or even tail lights.

As a side note the $80 Hollywood Valet for bike racks is the best way to store a bike rack while off your vehicle. It is metal and has 4 wheels that can be locked so as not to roll and the rack mounts to the rack the same way it mounts to a vehicle hitch.

The best racks are all very expensive and the Kuat NV sells for $850 plus the cost of add on items. With the 3-bike Kuat the cost is more than $1200 and with the one bike add on the total weight is 91 lbs which is more than I want to lift into position and mount to a hitch. The 1Up is the lightest of the racks that can manage a large payload of heavy bikes.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 03-15-22, 06:48 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I am working OT like crazy trying scrap together the cash to get a 1UP. Its going to be awesome to finally order.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 03-16-22, 09:05 AM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
One distinction between 1UP and the other tray style bike carriers is weight. With 1UP, one can start with their base system (1 or 2 rack) already placed in the hitch and attach the add on(s). I had a Kuat NV with just two racks and it was heavy and difficult to put on. I can only imagine how hard is would be to install an NV with 4 racks.

Also, most of the tray style racks protrude parallel from the hitch so, depending on the height your hitch is off the ground, the hitch could drag the ground when going through a ditch or steep dip in the road. On the other hand, the 1UP is a stair step design so, as you add racks, they get progressively higher of the ground.
Likes For Planemaker:
Old 03-16-22, 11:47 AM
Calsun
Banned

The Quik Stuff rack may have some advantages over the 1Up a two bike rack from Quik Stuff sells for $1,000 as compared to $635 with 1Up. There is a 6-month plus lead time with Quik Stuff racks mentioned on their website "due to aluminum supply chain disruptions".

What should be appreciated is that this all started with Trump putting into place a 25% tariff tax on all aluminum coming into the USA from Canada. The price for my aluminum boat trailer went up $400 overnight thanks to him. Of course the Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska benefited greatly and not by coincidence as Trump's campaign manager was a former employee of Oleg.

There are hitch extenders that allow for having the rack 7" to 24" further back from the vehicle and ones that will increase the height of the rack above the ground if that is needed.

Hitch rack theft is also a problem with these very expensive bike racks and hitch locks are a good investment in protecting yours. Even if your insurance covers much of the loss you will still be without a rack for months.
Old 03-16-22, 12:18 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Calsun
The Quik Stuff rack may have some advantages over the 1Up a two bike rack from Quik Stuff sells for $1,000 as compared to $635 with 1Up. There is a 6-month plus lead time with Quik Stuff racks mentioned on their website "due to aluminum supply chain disruptions".
As I posted earlier...If you buy all the accessories from 1up so that it will do everything that the QuickR rack does they are almost the same in price with QuickR still having the advantage due to a better design.

Blah, Blah, Blah Trump. Blah, Blah, Blah Russian oligarch Blah blah blah Trump's campaign manager blah, blah
Yes. OK.

Hitch rack theft is also a problem with these very expensive bike racks and hitch locks are a good investment in protecting yours. Even if your insurance covers much of the loss you will still be without a rack for months.
Both racks have hitch locks available with them.
Old 03-16-22, 12:21 PM
gpburdell

Yet 1UP's racks are also aluminum, made in the US, and presently ship within 3-7 business days.

Wonder why they're not as impacted as QuikrStuff?
Old 03-16-22, 12:32 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by gpburdell
Yet 1UP's racks are also aluminum, made in the US, and presently ship within 3-7 business days.
QuickR racks are also aluminum and made in the US. Made in Colorado.

I'm guessing they either planned poorly for inventory or it's really not their fault at all. I work for a company that uses tons (literally) of extruded aluminum to build the products we make. We can't get aluminum right now from our vendors and our customers have to wait 6 months to get their product. One of the products is even worse...we have orders from July 2021 that we still can't fulfill due to no availability of extruded aluminum.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-17-22, 06:42 AM
mtn drew

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
They are the best bang for buck, and well made. Customer service is top notch. I originally bought the 2 inch double version but it was too heavy and I couldn't use it on my other vehicle with 1 1/4 inch receiver. They took it back without fuss and issued 100% refund, they even sent a prepaid postage. I now have the 1 1/4 version which I shuffle between vehicles.
I like that it only touches the tires and no plastic components that will deteriorate and breakunlike other racks.
Likes For mtn drew:
Old 03-17-22, 08:26 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by gpburdell

Wonder why they're not as impacted as QuikrStuff?
QuikrStuff has been plagued by delays since their inception. And the Mach 2 rack itself well before that.

I am sure that the current disruptions are compounding the issue, though.

And QuikrStuff is a small, new startup. I would think that puts them at a disadvantage in the supply chain compared to an established, company that has been doing steady business for a long time.

Or it could simply be a matter of these selling way better than they had expected. Sometimes wait times are just due to high demand and success of a product.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-17-22 at 08:32 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-17-22, 03:42 PM
Calsun
Banned

Most people cannot appreciate just how small these companies are in the overall scheme of things. They cannot begin to order enough product to be a valued customer by the metals wholesalers. I worked with a $2 billion dollar food processing company and the big IT software companies like SAP would not give them the time of day due to their small size.

For tires narrower than 3 inches in width there is no issue with the stock 1UP bike rack. I added 4 of their wheels savers for an additional $60 and that is all most people actually need. The "wheel locks" with a skewer through the spokes may give the owner piece of mind but they only delay a bike thief by at mosts 10 seconds per wheel.

I use a bike rack but for most of my life I have put my bikes inside a pickup truck with a fiberglass cap to keep them completely out of sight. I have done this for the past 50 years and parked in many places where a bike thief would be likely but never had anyone break into the rear of the truck to see what might be there. A Ford Transit or similar small van is a good alternative.

When discussing bikes and bike accessories and bike racks one needs to consider wait times. I waited 3 months for my 1Up rack and wait times have increased. At the time the Hollywood and all the other bike racks rated for truck or RV use and that had a load capacity of 140 lbs for my two fat tire e-bikes where out of stock everywhere and had been for months.

This is to be expected with small companies that have seen sales nearly double but cannot double their shop space or double their parts orders or double the number of employees and are rightly fearful about the demand dropping quickly and their having to lay off people and worry about a lease payment on a large shop that is no longer needed or having all of a sudden a 12 month supply of raw materials and Work in Progress. That is the real world for small businesses in
this country and why so many go out of business when forced to compete against companies wtih deeper pockets or that can shift production to Mexico or China or Vietnam.
Old 03-17-22, 03:55 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn drew
They are the best bang for buck, and well made. Customer service is top notch. I originally bought the 2 inch double version but it was too heavy and I couldn't use it on my other vehicle with 1 1/4 inch receiver. They took it back without fuss and issued 100% refund, they even sent a prepaid postage. I now have the 1 1/4 version which I shuffle between vehicles.
I like that it only touches the tires and no plastic components that will deteriorate and breakunlike other racks.
You couldn't use it with a 1-1/4" receiver? I use 2" stuff with my 1-1/4" receiver on my car all the time. My little utitlty trailer and Yakima bike carrier are both 2". I just use a 1-1/4 to 2" adapter, available in any auto parts store. Of course, I still don't exceed the weight rating of the 1-1/4 receiver. It does introduce another potential source of rattle, but I use this (the first kind) frequently. They also make 2" to 1-1/4 adapter sleeves that slip onto a 1-1/4" rack. I had a rack that came 1-1/4 with a 2"sleeve included so it could be easily used with both.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-17-22 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-18-22, 05:33 AM
gpburdell

When discussing bikes and bike accessories and bike racks one needs to consider wait times. I waited 3 months for my 1Up rack and wait times have increased.
FYI - the rack I ordered for my wife's car two months ago shipped in three days and arrived in just under a week.

Their website was then claiming order "ship within 3-7 business days" as it is now.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-18-22, 06:56 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Camilo
You couldn't use it with a 1-1/4" receiver? I use 2" stuff with my 1-1/4" receiver on my car all the time. My little utitlty trailer and Yakima bike carrier are both 2". I just use a 1-1/4 to 2" adapter, available in any auto parts store. Of course, I still don't exceed the weight rating of the 1-1/4 receiver. It does introduce another potential source of rattle, but I use this (the first kind) frequently. They also make 2" to 1-1/4 adapter sleeves that slip onto a 1-1/4" rack. I had a rack that came 1-1/4 with a 2"sleeve included so it could be easily used with both.

Those will certainly work, but will leave you with a whole lot more play and bouncing around than with using the right sized receiver, as you lose the stabilizing benefit that the expander ball provides.
Old 03-18-22, 08:38 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
and greatly increases the leverage on your receiver. The generic saying about extenders/adapters is it cuts the tongue weight max in half.
Old 03-18-22, 05:04 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn drew
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Those will certainly work, but will leave you with a whole lot more play and bouncing around than with using the right sized receiver, as you lose the stabilizing benefit that the expander ball provides.
For sure. I've never owned one with an expander ball so hadn't thought of that. That would be a consideration in favor of matching. The adapter does add anoher rattle, although not meaningful movement in my experience.
Old 03-18-22, 10:16 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
The 1UP will be your best choice. I know some of the history of the QuickR guy but I don't want to drag all that here. The 1UP is the way to go and they will be around a long time. I have owned one for ten years and one for a year. I have also owned the Saris, Kuat NV2, and Yakima Holdup. I sold all those. The 1Up gets my vote.
Likes For Chandne: