Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

bikesdirect.com

Old 04-08-22, 04:21 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,873 Times in 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Thats really BD’s design/pricing model; You get 105 for the big stuff like derailleurs and controls, but the frame and finishing kit is more like what you’d find on a Sora bike. Not bad, but not as nice as a 105 bike from a major brand.
As I noted in my earlier post, the difference between the aluminum/105 Motobecane and the equivalent Specialized that I looked up is that the Motobecane had generic components from various manufacturers whereas the Specialized had generic Specialized-branded components. That, and $700.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-08-22, 06:32 AM
Stephen Howe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, re the Spirit, their webpage says: "*New SALE Price for 2023 model due to lower Freight Costs and negotiations. No retroactive price adjustments available as previous shipments costs much more." The dropdown menus have six sizes in four colors. This has been the case since December: the Vent Noir wasn't available, the Spririt was available, dropdowns showing all sizes and colors. (The Spirit I got was 56cm black.) The new model year Spirit appears to be identical to the old model, but the ad also says "Specs May Update to Newest NEW 2023 STOCK parts at no extra charge". No idea what those new parts would be, so no way to know if they're actually an upgrade. My best theory is that the bikes weren't selling, they complained to the manufacturer(s), and they agreed that the old bikes could be sold at a reduced price to make room for new bikes at a lower price. If and when the "new 2023 stock parts" become apparent I'll have a better sense of how badly I was screwed. I'll feel extra screwed if these new parts include Shimano wheels (like the Vent Noir has)

Returning to the dropdowns having all colors and sizes; that's not necessarily the final word, because you have to go through what seems to be an entire checkout process before you know for sure they actually have the product. I know this because I have tried to order a Motobecane jersey, I think I even was sent to PayPal and back before I got the we-don't-actually-have-that message. The way they put it is, "If you see "SoldOut" During CheckOut, Someone else got it." They make it sound like its a race to the checkout, but seems more likely its just too much trouble to keep their dropdowns up to date, or maybe they're being secretive.

In any case, anybody who is in the market, the big take away should be, the Vent Noir is now available after having been unavailable since at least December; grab one if you can. Or, the Spirit is now available for $300 less than I paid for it just a couple months ago, grab one to humiliate me.

Anybody who tries to order one of these bikes, please let us know the gory details.
Old 04-08-22, 02:48 PM
mtn drew

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
how about bikes online ???
Old 04-08-22, 09:16 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
As I noted in my earlier post, the difference between the aluminum/105 Motobecane and the equivalent Specialized that I looked up is that the Motobecane had generic components from various manufacturers whereas the Specialized had generic Specialized-branded components. That, and $700.
I didn’t say there was anything wrong with BD bikes (and at the mid-tiers it’s a lot of the “same parts, different stickers).
BD has kinda the same approach as Performance/Nashbar/Supergo did in the catalog days: “90% of the bike for 70% of the cost”
Not a big deal unless you need to have those big-brand logos
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 04-10-22, 06:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
I have bought BD bikes .... and I got my Fuji from Performance before it did its mega-merge and went sour .... about the same amount of work needed in all cases.

With BD you know what you are getting, and if you got it and don't like it, look in the mirror ......

As for the sales help being helpful in making mechanical adjustments ... if you didn't search YouTube go do that. Quit whining. Sales help helps Sell. BD doesn't offer online tech help.

Basically this is a "I bought this, now tell me if I should have" thread combined with a "I'd rather whine than ride" thread. So yeah ... I am Really glad this guy decided to post here.

OP did treat us to this gem: "After purchasing my bike from bikesdirect.com, I found the Diamondback Metric 1 available at diamondback.com for the same price ... "

Again, check that mirror .......
Old 04-10-22, 07:29 AM
Get.Schwifty

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope this worked out to your benefit in the end.

I've mail-ordered two bikes -- one from here (a great Marin hydraulic disc skinny-tire commuter, reasonable price) and was impressed, I mean a-frickin-mazed at the quality of the build. The wheels and rotors were true (and have stayed for 8 or 9 years), and I had to assemble *three* things only: mount the handlebar (which had brakes, shifters, and grips installed) and tighten the clamp. Stem was mounted, aligned and torqued, headset was great, etc.; attach pedals, and saddle. Maybe I got lucky. I've cranked several thousand miles on it and still ride it to work.

The other was Boneshaker bikes, which was about as good an experience. They're a dropship kind of reseller, as they came in well lower than the manufacturer's retail, though of course without the manufacturer's touch.my complaint though – I mounted bars etc. yet on this one the manufacturer told me to torque cranks to x-newtons etc (why? -- couldn't put that factory touch on a mostly assembled bike?) -and- sorta bugged me that the manufacturer's warranty didn't apply unless I had a bike shop sign a certificate of assembly or whatever. That bugged me. I trusted my mechanic experience and it's gone about 1,000 miles so far.
Old 04-10-22, 08:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn drew
indeed
Old 04-11-22, 11:24 AM
Stephen Howe

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn drew
Never owned one of their bikes. They do seem to have better paint jobs than Bikes Direct, but their everyday prices seem higher. I've tried putting one of their marked down bikes in the shopping cart a couple times; they make you provide lots of personal measurements, and after the long laborious process they finally advise you they don't have the bike in your size. If I had it to do over, I'd have calculated gear ratios and realized I could live with a Specialized Allez 9 speed aluminum frame from a local shop. Live and learn.
Old 04-11-22, 11:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The BD guy has been posting on MTBR again after a hiatus long enough no one remembers. Mainly complaining about part lead times. He’s very realistic about what forum rats say they want vs what average buyers want to afford, it’s refreshing
Genesis 49:16-17