Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do caliper and v-brake levers have the same pull ratio?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-03-22, 05:35 AM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

We all know cantilever brake levers have a shorter pull than v-brake but what about caliper?

I’m putting together a single speed from bits and pieces I have laying around. I have caliper brakes in the rear and v-brake in the front. Can I use caliper brake levers for both?
Old 07-03-22, 05:45 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 328 Posts
Caliper brakes have the same pull as cantilevers, shorter pull than linear pull (v-brakes).
Likes For bboy314:
Old 07-03-22, 05:46 AM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
I'm pretty sure caliper and canti have similar pull, and v brake is the outlier. So without a v-brake lever, you may be out of luck.
Old 07-03-22, 06:43 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
There's a range of real leverages (cable pull ratios) with single pivot calipers and cantis but they are generally lumped together and considered a single family of cable/pad movement ratio. And with cantis some amount of adjustment for cable pull is possible with varying the straddle cable length. Mixing lever and caliper/canti leverages won't make the brakes not work, just not at the leverage that the company intended. As with any new combo that you haven't tried before don't install grips or tape before confirming that the new combo works for you. Andy
Old 07-03-22, 07:19 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I would try it and see if it feels ok for you, my bike had cantilevers and I had to replace the rear brake. I put a V-brake on the rear and use the V-brake levers on the front and rear. It is fine for me.
If it doesn't work for you, they do make levers that can be changed from long pull to short pull.
Old 07-03-22, 08:43 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by hhk25
We all know cantilever brake levers have a shorter pull than v-brake but what about caliper?

I’m putting together a single speed from bits and pieces I have laying around. I have caliper brakes in the rear and v-brake in the front. Can I use caliper brake levers for both?
Generally - I'd say no.

You will likely see V-brakes move too little by the time calliper lever reaches the bars (great mechanical advantage though, and if you manage to run the pads just a fraction of a millimetre from the rims, stopping power might be good until the pads wear out just a wee bit).

Definitely doesn't cost giving it a try, but I'm not an optimist.

My notes on mechanical brake cable pull ratios.
Old 07-03-22, 10:34 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
You can use caliper levers for both brakes if you use a Travel Agent on the front. These convert the short-pull lever to long-pull brake. They also can replace the "noodle".

This "Travel Agent" is set to a 1:1 ratio to replace the noodle.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 07-03-22, 10:43 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
V-brakes come in varying arm lengths. The longer the arm, the more cable pull is required.

https://www.gravelbike.com/v-brake-arm-lengths/

If you have on hand a long arm V-brake, I'd put it on the rear wheel and adjust it as close to the rim as possible. It won't be ideal, but the rear brake isn't as critical as the front brake.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-03-22, 05:06 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the replies. The bike is flat bar so I can put a v-brake lever on the front. It won't match the rear brake lever but nothing on the bike is really going to match anyways. It's a fun little project. I'll post pics after.
Likes For hhk25: