Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ear protection when pumping tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ear protection when pumping tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-22, 10:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
In response to your actual question, it would be fascinating to measure the decibel level of such a blowout. The closest I could find on the internet was a car tire which apparently is about 88dB from 50 feet away. Instant hearing loss occurs at about 130dB and a tire blowout is definitely not a sustained sound, so you'd need to reach that to have a true need for hearing protection.

Anybody got a decibel meter and want to purposely wreck some tubes?
Apply the inverse square rule and I'm pretty sure the car tire explosion is more than deafening at 5 feet.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-07-22, 10:59 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You're postulating a "safety" factor over the recommended max of some size. If you don't really know what that factor is (if indeed it does exist), any time you exceed the spec, you are testing that.

Missed the point on the metal fatigue thing, I see. You were claiming "so far, so good". My point is you really don't know that because you may be accelerating metal fatigue or creating some that wouldn't otherwise occur. Your answer to that is other things can cause metal fatigue, I guess, and that's a profoundly stupid answer.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to be near your steam engine, btw. What you write about running that over spec has the "famous last words" ring to it.
https://allthatsinteresting.com/gene...im%20instantly.
Metal fatigue? Which material are you referring to, and what is causing the fatigue?
Old 07-07-22, 11:01 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
My point isn't about comparing the thickness of a bicycle rim to the thickness of a boiler (you'd be surprised how thin the metal is, relatively speaking), or about the relative pressures. Although that's all you guys seem able to focus on.
Different metal, different purpose. Not built for maximum lightness. The era of the steam locomotive was a time when they overbuilt things, rather than running on the hairy edge of failure.

As I said, it's about the safety factors the manufactures build into their products. In the case of locomotive boilers, they were routinely proof-tested to four times their MAWP. So in the case of our steam locomotive, the calculated bursting pressure would be about 760 PSI. We never even get CLOSE to that pressure.

Do you really think a rim manufacturer is going to actually put the fail pressure on its rim? Would the lawyers allow that? Or do you think it's more likely that a company like Mavic (whose rims I use, and which did not have a "max" pressure sticker on them when manufactured), would maybe make their rim's failure pressure a little higher than the max? Maybe even 2 times, if not more?
No, but the point is YOU DON'T KNOW how much higher you can go. You know how high they're willing to guarantee it for, so assuming you know what the margin is, as I said, a fool's game. And in Larry's case, he's talking about exceeding the recommended max pressure for both the tire and the rim, when the tire is unloaded, and then putting another 300lbs on it. I sincerely doubt he's checking the tire pressure after he puts the 300lbs on it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-07-22, 11:01 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Metal fatigue? Which material are you referring to, and what is causing the fatigue?
This thread is causing mental fatigue ....that's for sure.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 07-07-22, 11:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

My point isn't about comparing the thickness of a bicycle rim to the thickness of a boiler (you'd be surprised how thin the metal is, relatively speaking), or about the relative pressures. Although that's all you guys seem able to focus on.

As I said, it's about the safety factors the manufactures build into their products. In the case of locomotive boilers, they were routinely proof-tested to four times their MAWP. So in the case of our steam locomotive, the calculated bursting pressure would be about 760 PSI. We never even get CLOSE to that pressure.

Do you really think a rim manufacturer is going to actually put the fail pressure on its rim? Would the lawyers allow that? Or do you think it's more likely that a company like Mavic (whose rims I use, and which did not have a "max" pressure sticker on them when manufactured), would maybe make their rim's failure pressure a little higher than the max? Maybe even 2 times, if not more?

I think you're, at best, taking what you know about boilers and extrapolating to bicycle wheels when the two have virtually nothing to do with each other. The reason the margin for boilers is so high is because historically there were multiple instances of large numbers of people being killed or maimed by exploding boilers. Totally different industry, totally different practices.
Old 07-07-22, 11:03 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
And in Larry's case, he's talking about exceeding the recommended max pressure for both the tire and the rim, when the tire is unloaded, and then putting another 300lbs on it. I sincerely doubt he's checking the tire pressure after he puts the 300lbs on it.
I would never overinflate my tires and then carry 300 lbs of groceries or weed or vodka or whatever else he's carrying. THAT is a fool's game.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-07-22, 11:05 AM
LarrySellerz

Most or all of use other riders for motivation - that guy 100 yards ahead, you speed up to try and catch him. But that's not racing, that's just motivating yourself. If you catch him and pass him, it proves nothing about the two of you. You can feel good about the extra effort you put in, but you didn't 'beat' him, you didn't 'win', anymore than an e-bike 'wins' when it passes you on a hill.

It's only a race if everyone agrees it's a race. I mean, for decades here we've made fun of riders who think they 'beat' some pro or other because they passed them one time when the pro might have been on a recovery ride.
We just have different perspectives on how we ride, which is totally fine. If I want to treat every encounter with another rider as a legitimate race, and it makes me enjoy my ride more because of it, there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 07-07-22, 11:07 AM
smd4

I think you're, at best, taking what you know about boilers and extrapolating to bicycle wheels when the two have virtually nothing to do with each other.
I'm extrapolating what I know about the manufacture of pressure vessels.

The reason the margin for boilers is so high is because historically there were multiple instances of large numbers of people being killed or maimed by exploding boilers.
Boilers don't explode from over-pressurization.
Old 07-07-22, 11:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

You're postulating a "safety" factor over the recommended max of some size. If you don't really know what that factor is (if indeed it does exist), any time you exceed the spec, you are testing that.

Missed the point on the metal fatigue thing, I see. You were claiming "so far, so good". My point is you really don't know that because you may be accelerating metal fatigue or creating some that wouldn't otherwise occur. Your answer to that is other things can cause metal fatigue, I guess, and that's a profoundly stupid answer.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to be near your steam engine, btw. What you write about running that over spec has the "famous last words" ring to it.
https://allthatsinteresting.com/gene...im%20instantly.
Oh, I don't mind. As long as he's careful with the water level and doesn't make too many assumptions.

We rode on the Gettysburg Railroad a few months before they had a minor boiler explosion (firebox roof blowout without catapulting the boiler all the way to Carlisle.) Turns out the crew assumed the water glass was accurate and didn't check using other methods. Only one of the operators for the railroad REALLY knew what he was supposed to do, and he wasn't on that trip.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-07-22, 11:08 AM
LarrySellerz

Different metal, different purpose. Not built for maximum lightness. The era of the steam locomotive was a time when they overbuilt things, rather than running on the hairy edge of failure.

. I sincerely doubt he's checking the tire pressure after he puts the 300lbs on it.
Im bad at math, but I used to be good at math and my gut tells me that its a pretty simple calculation to see how much the pressure increases due to weight. Someone has done this for sure. its an interesting question, I doubt it changes more than 5 psi but I really have no idea.
Old 07-07-22, 11:10 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

We just have different perspectives on how we ride, which is totally fine. If I want to treat every encounter with another rider as a legitimate race, and it makes me enjoy my ride more because of it, there's nothing wrong with it.
It's just sad, because you haven't won anything.

Compete against yourself. See how much faster you can go from 84 up to the top of Canada just past Jefferson - that's my favorite self test.

Old 07-07-22, 11:10 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Im bad at math, but I used to be good at math and my gut tells me that its a pretty simple calculation to see how much the pressure increases due to weight. Someone has done this for sure. its an interesting question, I doubt it changes more than 5 psi but I really have no idea.
You'd need to know how much the volume changes.

Old 07-07-22, 11:13 AM
LarrySellerz

No, but the point is YOU DON'T KNOW how much higher you can go. You know how high they're willing to guarantee it for, so assuming you know what the margin is, as I said, a fool's game. And in Larry's case, he's talking about exceeding the recommended max pressure for both the tire and the rim, when the tire is unloaded, and then putting another 300lbs on it. I sincerely doubt he's checking the tire pressure after he puts the 300lbs on it.
You'd need to know how much the volume changes.
then what use that pvnrt math stuff we learned in 10th grade? if we gotta measure the volume change (which probably depends on the tire) it gets way more complicated damn I should really get to work, could probably ask some people there
Old 07-07-22, 11:23 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

then what use that pvnrt math stuff we learned in 10th grade? if we gotta measure the volume change (which probably depends on the tire) it gets way more complicated damn I should really get to work, could probably ask some people there
Dude. What do you think the "V" stands for.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-07-22, 11:26 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Apply the inverse square rule and I'm pretty sure the car tire explosion is more than deafening at 5 feet.
This calculator (remember decibels are not linear) suggests otherwise (108dB @ 5'). At 1' it comes to 122dB.
https://www.omnicalculator.com/physi...ce-attenuation

Would still be fascinating to try and test it with bicycle tires. I have blown a few improperly seated tubes in my life and don't recall any ringing in my ears afterward, but it would be fun to put actual numbers to it.

Last edited by urbanknight; 07-07-22 at 11:30 AM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 07-07-22, 11:32 AM
smd4

Oh, I don't mind. As long as he's careful with the water level and doesn't make too many assumptions.
Precisely.

We rode on the Gettysburg Railroad a few months before they had a minor boiler explosion (firebox roof blowout without catapulting the boiler all the way to Carlisle.) Turns out the crew assumed the water glass was accurate and didn't check using other methods. Only one of the operators for the railroad REALLY knew what he was supposed to do, and he wasn't on that trip.
That particular uncontrolled release of steam ("explosion") caused a re-write of the entire set of federal regs re boiler inspection and operation. If the locomotive hadn't been Canadian, it could have resulted in a number of deaths.

Last edited by smd4; 07-07-22 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-07-22, 11:35 AM
smd4

Would still be fascinating to try and test it with bicycle tires. I have blown a few improperly seated tubes in my life and don't recall any ringing in my ears afterward, but it would be fun to put actual numbers to it.
I blew one tire when I worked in the shop. Can't remember if it was a road tire or a MTB tire. I suspect road. I don't recall ringing, but it was certainly one of the louder things I have ever heard.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-07-22, 11:36 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I blew one tire when I worked in the shop. Can't remember if it was a road tire or a MTB tire. I suspect road. I don't recall ringing, but it was certainly one of the louder things I have ever heard.
It certainly startles the !@#$ out of you, am I right?
Old 07-07-22, 11:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Dude. What do you think the "V" stands for.
Vodka from a dumpster. See what I did there?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-07-22, 11:37 AM
smd4

It certainly startles the !@#$ out of you, am I right?
And then some...
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-07-22, 11:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Precisely.

That uncontrolled release of steam ("explosion") caused a re-write of the entire set of federal regs re boiler inspection and operation.
Yeah. The thing that I worry about with steam locomotives is that the guys who used to run them as a job, day in, day out, are all either dead or REAL old, and no matter how much you teach or train someone, unless they're doing it as a job, they're having to REMEMBER to do all the things, rather than doing them automatically.

Old 07-07-22, 11:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

This calculator (remember decibels are not linear) suggests otherwise (108dB @ 5'). At 1' it comes to 122dB.
https://www.omnicalculator.com/physi...ce-attenuation

That calculator is cool, thanks!

Yup, I did forget dB isn't linear when I wrote my comment.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-07-22, 11:48 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Larry outdid himself with this thread. I’ve lost track of all the arguments but many of them aren’t even arguing with Larry at this point.

A+

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-07-22, 11:52 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Awesome thread, Larry! Thanks
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-07-22, 11:54 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Chuck M
Larry outdid himself with this thread. I’ve lost track of all the arguments but many of them aren’t even arguing with Larry at this point.

A+

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.