Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

FORE or AFT- which way to go?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 08-13-21, 02:39 AM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Things were going quite well until I began experimenting with fore and aft positioning. After several hundred miles on a new saddle, I felt as though I was slightly slipping forward. First I moved the saddle back a bit but noticed no difference. Then a little more, no help. Then I went forward, then back again, etc, etc.. Now I am experiencing outer knee pain and can not find the fore/aft position I want.

Unfortunately, I didn't make note of the original position. My plan is to keep experimenting by starting at center and move the saddle a couple of mm at a time. Considering that the problem is outer front knee pain when not riding, would you advise going forward or rearward from center to start?

I'm pretty old and ride about 100 to 150 per week. A few hills but mostly flat. I
Old 08-13-21, 11:35 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 08-13-21, 11:56 AM
bowwow

Originally Posted by Sojodave
Thank you very much, the video was very informative.

If anyone has similar interests, I recommend watching the video. To be honest, I don't think that there is much more to be said on the subject.

Thanks againSojodave.
Old 08-14-21, 01:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
The outer knee pain is probably due to a muscle imbalance. Your VMO is too weak or not firing correctly to center your kneecap. I doubt it has anything to do with fit, or very little anyway. I have a bike fit primer here: https://www.bikeforums.net/21296948-post3.html

Google "vmo strengthening exercises".
Old 08-23-21, 06:16 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Knee pain would be related to force being applied through your joints (more so than the muscles) when they are not in a properly aligned state.

Your fore aft positioning shouldnt be making such a big difference. You should try to adjust the nose tilt (up or down) and overall saddle height as well.
Old 08-23-21, 11:46 PM
bowwow

Originally Posted by Moisture
Knee pain would be related to force being applied through your joints (more so than the muscles) when they are not in a properly aligned state.

Your fore aft positioning shouldnt be making such a big difference. You should try to adjust the nose tilt (up or down) and overall saddle height as well.
Thank you.

The knee pain is no longer a problem. I have moved that saddle every way but upsidedown, although I don't know which adjustment solved the problem. Pretty sure it was not a height issue. Could have been the tilt.