Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ride ID Sale

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ride ID Sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-22, 09:35 AM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 433 Posts
Road ID Sale

Not sure which forum to post this in, but since us older folks might have a bit more awareness of our mortality, this seems as good a place as any.

I've been thinking about getting something that would provide some ID and emergency phone numbers in case someone finds me laying by the side of the road. Right now I just carry my phone and my drivers license. The Road ID goes on your wrist attached to your watch or fitness tracker, they also have dog tags. Saw it recommended somewhere here on the forums.

They are running a 50% off sale on Sunday, March 20 between 1pm and 5pm EDT. Not advertised on their website, but I received an email from them.
https://www.roadid.com/

Mark

Last edited by msalvetti; 03-19-22 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-19-22, 10:54 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,654 Times in 781 Posts
FWIW, I was wearing a Road ID wristband (neon green) when I was struck by a car and transported to the ER by ambulance. The EMTs and ER doctor had no idea what the bracelet was about.
Old 03-19-22, 11:00 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Wear ID around your Neck with a Bright Cord
You can wear it Inside or Outside the Jersey.

The important thing it need to be Bright.
EMTs check your Neck First.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 03-19-22 at 11:44 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-19-22, 11:05 AM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 80 Posts
I have the bracelet. I agree, it's so small that med tech's might not notice it.
Nevertheless, with it on I don't feel the need to also carry my driver's license.
Old 03-19-22, 11:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Emergency responders are only going to give you first aid to stabilize you and get you to the hospital. They won't be concerned with chronic conditions, allergies and such. The ER probably isn't too concerned about those thing either. However if the hospital can't determine who you are, they might get to looking for some form of ID so they know where to send the bill.

Your attending physician when you are put in your recovery room or hospital room will probably be the only one curious to know the info about your medical conditions.

Not slamming RoadID, I might someday get one myself. But the expectations some have for it's use or necessity probably aren't realistic.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-19-22 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-19-22, 02:54 PM
msalvetti

Originally Posted by Iride01

Your attending physician when you are put in your recovery room or hospital room will probably be the only one curious to know the info about your medical conditions.
I'm just planning to have name and phone numbers on there. I think wrists are also checked by EMTs, since medical alert bracelets are pretty common. But I realize this thing is pretty small and could be easy to miss.

I'm tired of carrying my license, and then having to remember to put it back in my wallet (which I don't always want to carry). I've forgotten more than a few times.

I was thinking of including my blood type, but then I realized I don't remember what it is anymore, and I can't find my Red Cross card.

Mark
Old 03-19-22, 04:33 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I use road id. I talked to my local EMT, I know a bunch of them and they do check for wrist ID's and medical alert. Not for allergies and such but for any other serious things like diabetes and that kind of stuff. Name and phone numbers were second on the list. Blood type being 3rd in their opinions. I know on my MUP the local pd who patrol it are told to check for ID's but if on the road I doubt the traffic or state troops will look.

I know its not the answer to everything but I do think its a great easy option.
Old 03-19-22, 05:30 PM
Bob S

Bikes: Specialized Creo Comp Carbon DeSalvo Custom Ti

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
I have worn a wrist ID, about 3/4 inch wide, for more than 5 years. Fortunately no one has needed to look at it yet.
Likes For Bob S:
Old 03-27-22, 10:17 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I concur with above comments about chronic conditions on a RoadID. Unless of course it’s related to certain drug allergies that could be deathly. On mine, in addition to my name, I have my two ICE contact phone numbers (wife and adult daughter), NKA, my blood type, religion, and the word “donor.” But I too have often wondered if it would be noticed by anyone tending to me in the event of an accident. I currently wear mine around my ankle, but I may change and start wearing something around my neck.

Dan
Old 03-28-22, 09:17 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I have a RoadID that I wear when I go out alone on the bike or kayak. I makes me and my wife feel better that somebody could eventually identify me and have a contact number for her in case something goes horribly wrong.
Is it a perfect solution? IDK. but it's something, better than nothing.
Old 03-28-22, 09:31 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
I have a Road ID, at my wife's insistence. It's been on my wrist constantly for maybe a decade now, after a crash that left me concussed with temporary amnesia.

I don't expect anyone to look at it unless I'm dead and they want to know what to do with my body, or when the hospital wants to know when and how they will be paid.

Anything above and beyond that will exceed expectations, which will be fine.
Old 03-28-22, 10:34 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Us old guys also have some memory problems as well but I do recall a similar post about using devices or tools to act as an alert and provide ID info. in the event that something should happen to a rider. A device would then alert someone else of the accident if that's something to consider.
Alert device post
Old 04-02-22, 11:21 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I wish I had caught this thread when new. I would like to get a RoadID bracelet also. I feel you can never have too much information. I normally ride with a little belt pocket thing that has a copy of my DL with ICE information on it and I have a custom dog tag zip tied into my shoe laces with certain specific information like name, my VA ID (I figure emergency services can contact the VA for medical records) and very specific medical like blood type and I have an airway restriction. The dog tag has basic emergency need-to-know information. I figure it's shiny so even on a shoe it's going to get attention.
Old 04-02-22, 06:05 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
This road wrist ID that keeps getting mentioned above, is this something provided through insurance or medical services? I think I need to change my practice of not carrying any ID when I ride which is not safe.

Can EMS services get into my phone and see my identity?
Old 04-03-22, 10:45 PM
msalvetti

The RoadID is a private company. They also make dog tags and various other ID devices. I doubt EMS can get into your phone if the police can't.

I only found out about the sale because I had started to purchase, never finished, but had left my email there. You could do the same and get an alert when the next sale rolls around.

I got the black one because it's a bit of a pain to put on so I leave it on all the time and I didn't want it to be too obvious. But I readily admit that will make it harder to see, especially in the cold weather when I'm wearing a jacket.

Mark
Likes For msalvetti: