Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike day

Old 06-21-22, 03:42 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
New bike day

As no one here will remember, I had a crash back in Feb 21 and my Venge assploded in a few places.

I had been chasing Spesh for a year for my crash replacement and they kept offering me an Aethos, despite my telling them that at 180lb, i had no need for an aero bike and wanted an aero bike: Venge or an SL7. Apparently, the S-Works SL7 framesets are already spoken for all the way to 2023 in this part of the world and it was "Aethos or else". In the end, they finally agreed to give me an Aethos in my wife's size - and she happily confiscataed my Dura Ace Di2 groupset and put it on her bike. And I still didnt have a replacement bike.

Complicating things, my body tried to occupy the same space as an auto last December, and the loser was my knee-cap (along with my scapula). That's healing now but I got a long way to go to recovery (have lost 100W in FTP). The silver lining in all this was that I didnt really need a top-end bike. Truth be told, I didint need any replacement bike, as my Factor LS gravel bike (which survived the Dec crash without a scratch except a broken handlebar) is a perfectly cromulent bike for training. But Ma Guadzilla didnt raise her son to be a quitter, so a new bike it was.

Placed the order a couple of months ago, frame came in a few weeks ago and finally got it all built up:

The original plan was to use parts from my spares bin - an Aerofly handlebar and a stem from my Venge, a pair of 11 speed Ultegra Di2 shifters and a 10 speed Ultegra Di2 FD/RD set taken off my TT bike a few years ago. Then I decided that i might as well go all 11 speed, for ease of wheel interchangeability. And then i found that the post mount calipers on the older-gen Di2 shifters i had didnt fit my frame. Yes, i could have just bought new calipers but what did i tell you about Ma Guadzilla? New Ultegra shifters it was. So I still have that stupid old gruppo sitting around but atleast i was able to use my cranks, stem and bars. Wheels are Roval CL50s for the time being - will put the CLX64s from my Venge as soon as i get around to putting a new cassette and changing the tires on it. Also plan to replace the Venge stem with an SL7 stem.

Took her for a 90' ride today - and color me impressed. I had bought this as a beater/training/rain bike but it rides really well. Absorbs road chatter very well, feels very stiff with no give or mush in the BB when you are grinding out some big anaerobic efforts (which admittedly isnt very big right now for me). I couldnt tell that i was riding a Al bike vs a carbon bike, to be honest. Bike weighs in about 600-700gm more than a carbon bike - but i weight in at about 10lb heavier than i should be, so it all balances out.

The timing is perfect - have reached a stage in my rehab/physio where i can now start to add mileage. Time to get those 100W back.

Last edited by guadzilla; 06-22-22 at 07:39 AM.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 06-21-22, 04:54 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Bittersweet experience.

Not sure what to think of those welds, but I'd expected a less of a glob blob fusion from that brand name.
Old 06-21-22, 08:08 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by Troul
Bittersweet experience.
Not sure what to think of those welds, but I'd expected a less of a glob blob fusion from that brand name.
Ha, they sure are fugly - but if they in any way contribute to the ride quality of this bike, i will take it!

The shaping of the tubes is certainly impressive - it's not just a bunch of round tubes welded together. The DT and BB are one piece, for example.
Old 06-21-22, 08:14 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,964 Times in 4,448 Posts
Good to hear you are on the mend. Continued safe training/riding to you.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-21-22, 10:05 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
As no one here will remember, I had a crash back in Feb 21 and my Venge assploded in a few places.

I had been chasing Spesh for a year for my crash replacement and they kept offering me an Aethos, despite my telling them that at 180lb, i had no need for an aero bike and wanted an aero bike: Venge or an SL7. Apparently, the S-Works SL7 framesets are already spoken for all the way to 2023 in this part of the world and it was "Aethos or else". In the end, they finally agreed to give me an Aethos in my wife's size - and she happily confiscataed my Dura Ace Di2 groupset and put it on her bike. And I still didnt have a replacement bike.
Wait...what?
Old 06-22-22, 07:38 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Wait...what?
Doh... i meant i had no need for an ultralight bike.
Old 06-22-22, 08:40 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
I love how the tape matches the frame colors.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-22-22, 06:21 PM
jolly_codger

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
"I had bought this as a beater/training/rain bike..."

I wish my best bike looked like that! Nice job, it is a very good looking setup.
Old 06-22-22, 09:34 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You might want to look into that seat angle. Pretty far nose down.
Old 06-23-22, 12:41 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
Pretty cool scoot you got there!
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 06-30-22, 04:28 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by jolly_codger
"I had bought this as a beater/training/rain bike..."
I wish my best bike looked like that! Nice job, it is a very good looking setup.
That was my intention when i started thinking about getting an Allez. Now that i have it, i want a different beater

Originally Posted by cxwrench
You might want to look into that seat angle. Pretty far nose down.
Yeah, as i realized 5 min into the first ride.... is fixed now.

Took it for a weekend in the hills with some riding friends and it's already got a bunch of scuffs along the side of the TT during transport. Ugh. Now i definitely need another bike!