Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Bike rides near Stoneham MA area

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-14, 05:25 PM
deburn

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Bighorn 1.3, 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2013 Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I recently moved to Stoneham, and I'm looking for rides that are in the 20-40 mile range (and more once I build up some miles.) Ideally, these are rides that I don't have to drive to.

I am familiar with the Minuteman Trail and rides in Concord, Weston etc. but getting there from where I live is not convenient, so I'm hoping to find other options that are closer.

Also, I am going to start riding from Stoneham to Community Rowing which is at 20 Nonantum Rd in Brighton. Google Maps recommends this route

Is that a good route, or is there a better option? Thanks!
Old 05-30-14, 05:39 PM
markdel

Bikes: 2011 Spec Roubaix Elite Apex, 2010 Jamis Coda Sport, 04 Trek 6000, 79 Peugeot UO10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Head over into Wakefield around the lake, down Lowell St to Vernon St to get outside 128, and from there into the Lynnfield and North Reading areas. Some good riding over that way. Check out the NSC website for other rides that are accessible from that general area.
Old 06-02-14, 08:02 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
You can cut through Winchester toward Lexington, Bedford etc from Stoneham. Start there. There are better options for less traffic and better roads, North and west of Boston too. Try the NEBC, North East Bike Club.

Last edited by Leebo; 06-02-14 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-02-14, 08:24 AM
deburn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markdel
Head over into Wakefield around the lake, down Lowell St to Vernon St to get outside 128, and from there into the Lynnfield and North Reading areas. Some good riding over that way. Check out the NSC website for other rides that are accessible from that general area.
Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the delayed response. I rode with NSC for the first time this past week. It's a great group, and I'm looking forward to riding more with them
Old 06-02-14, 08:26 AM
deburn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
You can cut through Winchester toward Lexington, Bedford etc from Stoneham. Start there. There are better options for less traffic and better roads, North and west of Boston too. Try the NEBC, North East Bike Club.
Thanks Leebo. I rode to Community Rowing using biking directions from Google Maps. There was a lot of traffic (which is to be expected.) I have not heard of NEBC, but I will look them up
Old 06-02-14, 08:30 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Do you mountain bike at all? The Fells is right next door to you, great hiking as well.
Old 06-02-14, 10:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by deburn
Hi, I recently moved to Stoneham, and I'm looking for rides that are in the 20-40 mile range (and more once I build up some miles.) Ideally, these are rides that I don't have to drive to…
Hi deburn,

FYA, A few years ago I wrote a compendium of cycling in Boston for a cyclist in Saugus who had moved here from Hawaii. I know you are not new to the area because when I wrote an Introduction to Bike Forums when I joined in 2008, you wrote a gracious welcoming post, but I’ve not seen posts by you since.

Sincerely,

Jim

Originally Posted by deburn
Hi Jim, welcome to BF! That's quite a riding schedule/commute you have! I live in Cambridge. Check out the regional forum Northeast and also this Boston-area one Greater Boston Roll Call!
That Greater Boston Roll Call was 11 pages long, and of the few pages I perused, I noted Bishbike, buzzman, and sherbornpeddler.
Old 06-02-14, 04:36 PM
deburn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Do you mountain bike at all? The Fells is right next door to you, great hiking as well.
I love having the Fells so close and I hike there all the time. Used to mountain bike a while back, but not feeling it right now
Old 06-02-14, 04:43 PM
deburn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi deburn,

FYA, A few years ago I wrote a compendium of cycling in Boston for a cyclist in Saugus who had moved here from Hawaii. I know you are not new to the area because when I wrote an Introduction to Bike Forums when I joined in 2008, you wrote a gracious welcoming post, but I’ve not seen posts by you since.

Sincerely,

Jim

That Greater Boston Roll Call was 11 pages long, and of the few pages I perused, I noted Bishbike, buzzman, and sherbornpeddler.
Jim you must have a great memory! Your comment about the scarcity of my posts made me look through my comment history. I have a few in 2012, I think one in 2010 but the rest of them are 2009 and earlier.

A lot of stuff happened over the past few years. Piecing together what I can remember, I started mountain biking quite avidly for a while, and so I stopped visiting bikeforums. Then I stopped mountain biking as well and was mostly doing short rides with the family. It's only after moving to Stoneham recently that I've started getting excited about biking again - and I'm glad to be back.

I did see your compendium for the guy from Hawaii, and I've since done a couple of rides with North Shore Cyclists who seem to be a great bunch.
Old 06-02-14, 06:10 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hey deburn,

Thanks for that gracious reply. Perhaps you would be interested in the thread, “Metro Boston: Good ride today?,” the apparent successor to the “Greater Boston Roll Call.” See this representative recent post and a few preceding ones with pictures.

A lot certainly has happened since 2008, and FYA, I have updated my cycling bio on a few occasions if interested.

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 06-02-14, 06:49 PM
deburn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hey deburn,

Thanks for that gracious reply. Perhaps you would be interested in the thread, “Metro Boston: Good ride today?,” the apparent successor to the “Greater Boston Roll Call.” See this representative recent post and a few preceding ones with pictures.

A lot certainly has happened since 2008, and FYA, I have updated my cycling bio on a few occasions if interested.

Sincerely,

Jim
Thanks for the update, Jim, and also for the reminder to subscribe to the Metro Boston thread
Old 06-11-14, 04:17 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Deburn, Markdel is heading you in the right direction. If you decide against the Wakefield route some day, what I'd do is head straight up Main St. (RT 28) into Reading and North Reading, and then jump on 114 into Middleton and then if you want to keep going, up into Georgetown and Rowley. That's a 60-miler right there.
Leebo's idea is pretty good: Once you get over to Bedford, you can aim for Billerica. The air starts getting clean there, and you are in the hills.
Old 06-14-14, 05:50 PM
deburn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Deburn, Markdel is heading you in the right direction. If you decide against the Wakefield route some day, what I'd do is head straight up Main St. (RT 28) into Reading and North Reading, and then jump on 114 into Middleton and then if you want to keep going, up into Georgetown and Rowley. That's a 60-miler right there.
Leebo's idea is pretty good: Once you get over to Bedford, you can aim for Billerica. The air starts getting clean there, and you are in the hills.
That's a good idea for a nice loop, thanks

Leeob, I looked up NEBC, but it looks like they're all about racing...