Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Surly Disc Trucker vs Trek 520?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 09:15 AM
jpjuggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi,
Is there any reason on my first touring bike to choose

My current take is that the trek 520 here in canada is $300 (CAD) cheaper than the surly and the trek throws in the front and back racks for free.
So i'm absolutely going with the Trek, unless I"m missing something here....?
Any advice would be appreciated.
JP
Old 12-28-20, 10:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjuggler
Hi,
Is there any reason on my first touring bike to choose

My current take is that the trek 520 here in canada is $300 (CAD) cheaper than the surly and the trek throws in the front and back racks for free.
So i'm absolutely going with the Trek, unless I"m missing something here....?
Any advice would be appreciated.
JP
If you like the bike that is cheaper, then get it. There are differences between the bikes- one isnt inherently better than the other, they are both spec'd to meet certain price points. Buying the one that is cheaper and has what you want is a win.

Some obvious differences between the bikes-
- QR for Trek and TA for Surly.
- Racks for Trek and no racks for Surly.
- Aluminum fork for Trek and steel fork for Surly.
- Smaller stock tire on Trek.
- Trek trail is 56mm and Surly trail is 67mm in the largest sizes(what i ride and know).

If you are good with the aluminum fork, quick release, and lower trail of the Trek- then get it.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-28-20, 01:39 PM
jpjuggler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- Trek trail is 56mm and Surly trail is 67mm in the largest sizes(what i ride and know).

If you are good with the aluminum fork, quick release, and lower trail of the Trek- then get it.
thanks for the input!

I'm a novice. What is a trail? Thanks!!!
Likes For jpjuggler:
Old 12-28-20, 01:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

thanks for the input!

I'm a novice. What is a trail? Thanks!!!
Its a measurement that takes into account your head tube angle, the amount of offset/rake of the fork, and the tire size. In practice, it shows how steering will feel. There is low trail, neutral, and high trail. This measurement is not inherently good or bad.
A low trail bike will steer well with a front load on the fork or handlebars. A high trail bike will feel stable and planted at high speed and going down hills. Those are basic examples to show that there are benefits to both designs.

Since you are a novice, ignore that I mentioned trail. Seriously- there is no benefit to knowing the numbers if you dont know how they will feel compared to other bikes you ride(and the trail of those). The numbers are only meaningful if you have other numbers and experiences to compare them to. Eliminate the trail from consideration.
I am not being flippant here and this is sincere- buy whichever you like the look of more. The drivetrains are basically the same, both have the same chance of successfully carrying you where you want to go, and the frame geometry numbers that are different are differences that would be lost on someone new to the game.
You like the fact that Trek has both racks and is cheaper? Cool- grab that. If you like the look of the Surly more and think that will make you happy each time you look down? Cool- grab that.
You win either way with these bikes as they are both capable of touring on from the start.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-28-20, 02:10 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You might look at Kona Sutra too.

https://konaworld.com/sutra.cfm

Better components all around for less (at least in the U.S. it costs less).
Likes For tyrion:
Old 12-28-20, 02:11 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Also I think Trek still throws in a lifetime warranty on the frame and Surly does not.
Likes For robow:
Old 12-28-20, 02:44 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
thanks for the input!

I'm a novice. What is trail? Thanks!!!

from : https://www.cyclingabout.com/underst...ry/#fork-trail
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-28-20, 03:56 PM
GZano

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've been thrilled with my 2020 Trek 520. The aluminum fork is the big issue steering people away from it. I really like the forks weight savings. It feels like all of my past touring rigs. It's a non-issue to me. It has 2000 miles of loaded touring and lightly loaded commuting miles on it. Not one issue yet.

Last edited by GZano; 01-04-21 at 06:15 AM.
Likes For GZano:
Old 12-29-20, 08:18 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
If the REI ADV 1.1 is an option for you, it has disc brakes, and racks included for a lot less money than the other two.
Likes For timdow:
Old 12-29-20, 09:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by timdow
If the REI ADV 1.1 is an option for you, it has disc brakes, and racks included for a lot less money than the other two.
Yes its a really good option. hybrid brakes, good drivetrain components, good gearing range.
I dont understand the front rack as there is no brace between sides, but maybe thats a design thats common and I am just not aware of all the designs out there. If it is a common design, I think I would still stick with my JANDD Extreme that has a top platform for storage and to help ensure stiffness on each side of the fork when holding panniers.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-30-20, 10:34 AM
gquirk77

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weight limit of the Trek 520 is 275 lbs. (that includes weight of rider, gear, AND bike). That's a "no go" for me then.
Old 12-30-20, 01:05 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I have never used a rack like this either, and share your concerns - although these racks are very popular, so they must work OK.

I have a rim brake LHT, and intend to attempt to purchase the REI ADV 1.1 when they do the 20% off sale (they do this at least annually for bikes - not sure when).

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes its a really good option. hybrid brakes, good drivetrain components, good gearing range.
I dont understand the front rack as there is no brace between sides, but maybe thats a design thats common and I am just not aware of all the designs out there. If it is a common design, I think I would still stick with my JANDD Extreme that has a top platform for storage and to help ensure stiffness on each side of the fork when holding panniers.
Old 12-30-20, 02:17 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I have never used a rack like this either, and share your concerns - although these racks are very popular, so they must work OK.

I have a rim brake LHT, and intend to attempt to purchase the REI ADV 1.1 when they do the 20% off sale (they do this at least annually for bikes - not sure when).
Credit card purchases at REI on the REI branded credit card add another 5 percent of the charged amount to your next year dividend too.
Old 01-03-21, 08:42 PM
jpjuggler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hi, as I'm in canada, when I convert usa dollars to canadian, and add in taxes and import duty, it doesn't come out much cheaper if at all, but I really appreciate your suggestion.