Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Bad tubes

Old 07-23-21, 05:12 PM
Seu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bad tubes

I just tossed some Teravail tubes (27.5 x 1.5-1.95) in the trash. I installed one in a Panaracer 650b x 42 tire (53 psi) but within hours the tube split on a seam and left me flat. It was not ridden, it just went flat in the garage. Repaired the tube and in a few hours it went flat with the same seam splitting. I tossed that tube and a new in the box Teravail tube, into the trash. These were bought in May 2021.

I don't think I can trust the off brands. These were made in Taiwan which seemed a better bet than the Chinese ones.

Have others experienced this problem with off brand or name brand tubes? I can't remember this happening before no matter where they are manufactured.
Old 07-23-21, 05:24 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
You posted two threads on this same topic, in different forums.

Last edited by Nessism; 07-23-21 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-23-21, 06:58 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
If you're riding 650b wheels, you almost certainly know what you're doing, but any mention of a "split seam" in a recently installed tube supposedly being responsible for failure of the tube raises a warning flag---especially with an oversized tube such as you were using. It's extremely easy to trap part of an oversized tube between the tire bead and the rim, leading to an eventual explosion, immediate or delayed.

After you install your next tube, inflate it to just a few pounds of pressure and then check around both sides of the rim. If and when you find a section where the tube is visible, pinched under the tire bead, work the tube back into the tire such that it is no longer visible. Once you're sure that the tube is entirely within the tire and not pinched under the bead at any point, inflate cautiously, 10 pounds at a time, checking after every round of inflation that the witness line above the tire bead is visible all the way around the wheel, without any high spots or low spots.

tl;dr: chances are that the tubes aren't defective; you might just need to be more careful installing them.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-28-21, 01:04 AM
loved666

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bad tubes
Old 10-28-21, 05:13 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
I've had Specialized brand tubes fail at the seams. I've also had "sharp" rim tape cut the tubes.
Old 12-31-21, 05:27 AM
katerinakater

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bad tubes
Old 12-31-21, 05:42 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
QTubes are junk. High failure rate and they don't hold air very well. I bought 4 of them somewhere and after my experience with the first two, I threw the other two away. Mostly I stick to Continental or Schwalbe tubes now and I can't remember the last time I had a problem with a tube. Not having to inflate my tires each and every time I ride is a big plus for me. You get what you pay for.
Old 12-31-21, 07:47 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
First of all, what you are calling "seams" are actually mold lines from the vulcanization process. In my experience, the most likely cause of your failures is improper installation. If the tire bead is not seated correctly, the tube pressure will eventually force a small section off the rim. The tube then expands out of this bulge until it "splits" with a bang.

After installation, pump it up to 10-15 psi then check to see how it is seating. Most tires have a witness mark around the bead that allows you to gauge even seating. Assuming proper seating, you can then pump it up a bit more and check again. Some tires are just ornery about seating so be gentle with them.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 12-31-21 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Add video
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 01-30-22, 09:41 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Around 2010 or so I used to buy the cheapest tubes available for my bicycles and had been doing that for decades. No real problems. Then I started to have weird flatting issues where the tubes appeared to just fail after some short length in service. I was buying at Walmart and Target at the time. I stopped buying there and bought much more expensive tubes from a bike store. This cured my problem. I guess the race to cheapest left out the reliablity in those cheap tubes. I now use Schwalbe tubes. I'm getting very good service from my tubes now.
Old 01-31-22, 05:35 PM
birdmove

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
I believe Bike man for you has sold his house etc and is now an oyster farmer. Too bad. Bike videos are till up though.
Old 06-04-22, 01:08 PM
ChisWilson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy problems with Teravail tubes

For what its worth... Ive recently had a handful of Teravail tubes fail, Very prematurely. The last one only lasted a couple days. My tire size is 700 x 42c. Ive been getting the Teravail tube size "700 x 30-43" from a local bike shop, so it should supposedly fit. Have had multiple failures. Most are small split seams on the inside of the tube - where it rests against the rim tape. My rim tape is good, and there are no sharp edges; I always closely inspect the rim right where the blowout happened, and always find nothing out of the ordinary there. I don't know if this company *always made lousy products, or if its just a slump/production problem they're going through right now, but these are crap. Stay away, unless you really like changing flat tubes for no reason at all.
Old 06-04-22, 07:29 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by ChisWilson
My tire size is 700 x 42c. I've been getting the Teravail tube size "700 x 30-43" from a local bike shop, so it should supposedly fit.
I wonder if using cheap inner tubes near the upper limit of their size range predisposes them to failure. It seems logical that the more the tube has to inflate, the thinner the rubber will be. This may be desirable for keeping rotating mass to a minimum, but there's less rubber to resist punctures or seam separation.
I recently bought four "Serfas" tubes from PerformanceBike. They were the right size ("700x28/38c") for the tires (700x35), but the first two I installed went flat shortly after inflation. One had a hole on the sidewall area where there was no sharp edge inside the tire. I haven't seen where the other one went flat because it's at my son's house. To PerformanceBike's credit, they sent me two new ("Specialized") tubes.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 07-16-22, 03:35 PM
bikerbrett

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where'd you buy them. Just return them and say they didn't work. I just bought some tubes on Amazon I hope they work