Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First ride with the new hip!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 04:01 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

My wife even captured the event as I was leaving. I like my form.....

Riding off into rural NC!
It was only 25 miles but it was great!! It was so refreshing to just be back outside riding on the road again. I’m not in great shape as the hills felt like mountains and my endurance is nonexistent but what the heck. It just too beautiful a day not to ride.

I go back to the Surgeon on Tuesday and I sure hope he gives me the official approval to start riding again!!!!

Last edited by jppe; 11-26-18 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old 11-25-18, 05:59 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
It was only 25 miles but it was great!! It was so refreshing to just be back outside riding on the road again. I’m not in great shape as the hills felt like mountains and my endurance is nonexistent but what the heck. It just too beautiful a day not to ride.

I go back to the Surgeon on Tuesday and I sure hope he gives me the official approval to start riding again!!!!
Congratulations @jppe. The joy is certainly apparent. I can just imagine the feeling of accomplishment after such a long layoff.

I had intentions of sending you this story after I read of your injury, but you know how it goes ...especially to find it in the archives. In any case I'm moved to post it here, as I have done for other subscribers who sustained serious injuries, FYA:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
….Here’s a rehab story I learned of, almost as a mystical experience. It's also about trauma, but IMO holds out the hope of healing when things seem bleak.

When I was about two weeks into my hospital stay, I was watching an un-named, circa early 1950's black-and-white movie with the sound off because my roommate was asleep. It seemed to be a romance, with Glenn Ford and Anne Baxter. A scene came on where they were driving in a car and had a sudden collision, and Glenn threw himself in front of Anne. He awoke in a hospital bed, and she was OK.

The following scenes showed him gradually recovering, as he tried to get out of bed with a trapeze bar, then walk with a cane. Soon, he strangely, and surreptiouously from Anne Baxter, slipped away to a golf course and tried to hit some balls. She was obviously mad at him when he got back (all this still with the sound off.) Then there appeared on screen a newspaper headline that Ben Hogan was going to participate in an upcoming major golf tournament.

It turns out that the movie was “Follow the Sun,” a 1951 biopic of Ben Hogan. I looked him up on Wikipedia, especially about the accident and found this:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Hogan and his wife, Valerie, survived a head-on collision with a Greyhound bus on a fog-shrouded bridge, early in the morning, east of Van Horn, Texas on February 2, 1949. Hogan threw himself across Valerie in order to protect her, and would have been killed had he not done so, as the steering column punctured the driver's seat.

This accident left Hogan, age 36, with a double-fracture of the pelvis, (Ihad a fracture of the sacrum) a fractured collar bone, a left ankle fracture, a chipped rib, and near-fatal blood clots: he would suffer lifelong circulationproblems and other physical limitations. His doctors said he might never walk again, let alone play golf competitively. While in hospital, Hogan's life was endangered by a blood clot problem, leading doctors to tie off the vena cava. Hogan left the hospital on April 1, 59 days after the accident.

After regaining his strength by extensive walking, he resumed golf activities in November 1949. He returned to the PGA Tour to start the 1950 season, at the Los Angeles Open, where he tied with Sam Snead over 72 holes, but lost the18-hole playoff.
This episode gave me a first glimmer of hope that I would be on the bike again…
It did occur to me as a golfer you might find it interesting. Just a couple weeks ago that movie was on TV, and I recorded it.

I continue to read your posts whenever I encounter them.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-25-18 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-25-18, 06:20 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Great news! I had been following your posts, and this news startled my cat, because I shouted "Yes!" out loud when I saw it. Eight years ago I was off the bike for a year and wasn't certain I'd be able to ride again, so I tend to get emotional about successes like yours!

go, Go, GO!
Old 11-25-18, 08:28 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Just like riding a bike. Only better after a long layoff. Good job!
Old 11-25-18, 08:49 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
congratulations
Old 11-25-18, 09:26 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Old 11-25-18, 09:29 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Great news, that's gotta feel really good.
Old 11-26-18, 03:16 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Great news! I had been following your posts, and this news startled my cat, because I shouted "Yes!" out loud when I saw it. Eight years ago I was off the bike for a year and wasn't certain I'd be able to ride again, so I tend to get emotional about successes like yours!

go, Go, GO!
I'll join this little gang of BobbyG's to say great news. I also read his connection with the eight-year-ago challenge. We can share the challenges that happened to our lives in a positive way as jppe has shown too. Well done.
Old 11-26-18, 03:09 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
may God bless you for many more miles
Old 11-26-18, 03:40 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Great job!

Old 11-26-18, 04:07 PM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Congrats on getting back out there! Only 25 miles on your first ride after hip replacement
Old 11-27-18, 05:34 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Excellent news .... but I would go easy with it 25 miles for a 1st ride seems like an awful lot

I've had no problems for the last couple of years but recently pushed my rides out from 30 which I was doing regularly out to 40 and 50 miles and one of my replacements is giving me a lot of trouble to the extent I've just taken 3 weeks out to give it a rest and it's feeling better but concerned the next ride may make it blow up again.
Old 11-27-18, 07:05 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Witterings
Excellent news .... but I would go easy with it 25 miles for a 1st ride seems like an awful lot

I've had no problems for the last couple of years but recently pushed my rides out from 30 which I was doing regularly out to 40 and 50 miles and one of my replacements is giving me a lot of trouble to the extent I've just taken 3 weeks out to give it a rest and it's feeling better but concerned the next ride may make it blow up again.
I definitely agree that you have to listen to your body. I’m really trying to be smarter about that. Interestingly my average speed was just slightly less than it would have been ptior to the crash so I rode pretty good. I also spent time down in the drops and standing out of the saddle and it all felt okay. Before the crash my average ride distance was about 60 miles so in my mind I’m thinking 60 miles shouldn’t be an issue but you’re absolutely correct. I greatly appreciate any feedback from others who’ve had hip replacements. 30-40 miles is probably a really good next ride, especially in these colder temperatures. I did have some soreness after the initial ride but it resolved itself within 24 hours. I rode pretty hard at times just to see what I could do and how the joint would respond. The heart rate definitely got pretty elevated.

Was your replacement(s) partial or full?
Old 11-27-18, 07:33 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Was your replacement(s) partial or full?
Awful to say but I don''t know .... I'm squeamish and of the attitude knock me put cold and do you what you need to but I really don't want to know the details ... I remember the Doc telling me the deterioration I had the hips was the level you#d expect of a 90 yr old and that was when I was 50 so I'm guessing it was probably full and then had the other one done 3 years later.
Old 11-27-18, 02:26 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

It’s GREAT to be out walking the course and playing golf again!!!
Update:

I had my 3 months post hip replacement appointment with my surgeon this morning and he released me from all restrictions!! Yeah!! He said my range of motion was phenomenal. I had stashed my golf clubs in the car before the appointment so my next stop was at the golf course. Just like my first bike ride, it was terrific to be back out with all my clubs. Life is good.
Old 11-28-18, 09:33 PM
Cheeky DeVille

Bikes: Raleigh Burner MKII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Blessed!

All the very best with all your activities! You did 25 miles on your first ride is so brilliant
I have just started cycling again after many many years and just about manage some 17kms with 3 stops! You are going to be by hero!
Old 11-28-18, 10:19 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Geeze, 1st ride with the new hip and 25 miles. I feel pretty good about doing 20 with my OEM hip. Congratulations for several things, successful surgery, great recovery, doing those 25 miles 1st ride out and back to golf.
Old 11-29-18, 12:37 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
woudja lookit that...
Ya look good, Sir!
Old 11-29-18, 12:46 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Congrats!

You had me excited right up to the point of golf; then you lost me Just kidding, I know what it's like to be sidelined with injury or major illness. It's like getting your life back.