Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 05-12-21, 09:52 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
5x1' intervals last night. Numbers were up a bit from this workout last week. I also recovered well and felt good for 1.5 hours of high Z2 after the 1' intervals. Progress.
Likes For cmh:
Old 05-12-21, 01:48 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Rest week vibes, TT bike on the trainer yesterday, today is a MTB commute in for 60 min through Tecolote Canyon, then another 1.5 hrs after work through Mission Trails. The shops are all backed up so I cleaned my MTB over the weekend and did a new drivetrain (minus chainring) and new tubeless tires with new tape job too. It was a lot of work but it felt nice to get it all done.

This weekend I'm headed up to Mt Laguna for some more car-camping and mountain biking. Looking forward to it!

Last edited by TMonk; 05-12-21 at 04:37 PM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-12-21, 04:50 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
I had my first track workout in 15 months at the indoor 250 track at Carson. It took about two laps to feel normal. I use 165 mm cranks on the track and 172.5 on the road. I did not notice any difference. I had the pursuit bars / cockpit setup on the bike.

I had 90 gear inches and initially, it felt big. Geez, my last workout was in 96 gear prior to Covid. So warmup felt harder than it should have that is probably due to lack of fixed gear riding and the requisite muscle neurology.

After the warmup and jumps, my legs felt better.

My wife and I decided on 4K of 3 laps at the middle of the track (relief line) and then one fast lap in the pole lane taking turns leading out. We then did 20 lap continuous effort in the pole lane and called it a day.

All things considered, we rode really well. All the TTT work and other stuff worked. Plus, our skills seemed really good which is important at Carson.

We are doing another session on Thursday. Probably, will do three, two person team pursuits.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-13-21, 11:27 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
It's funny. I did a short mini track camp a few months ago and we were warming up on 96" one day because we were too lazy to swap gears from the night before. Yet, a few years ago, I'm pretty sure I was running a F200 on 96".
Old 05-13-21, 12:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I was a couple pounds under race weight this morning, sweet. On a rest week so I think I'll be able to keep it off since I won't be super worried about staying fueled. I am camping this weekend through so there will be plenty of beer, wine and snacking. After a relaxing/mellow Sunday I should be ready to hit it on my opener ride on Monday. I think I'm gonna FTP test on Tuesday and see if I can top my result from last month, 5w off a PB.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-13-21, 01:23 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
started doing a 2x30 @ 94% on the trainer, did 17min of the first interval and was just not having it and was feeling cooked. I then decided to try it outside because it's really a magnificent day here, and at worst I'd just enjoy some time outside. I quickly found why I don't like doing outside workouts where I am because it took me about an hour to get to the loop where I could do uninterrupted work. So I did the intervals at 92 and 90% but a 90min workout turned into a 3hr ride lol But I think I need another lasko fan for my arsenal!
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-14-21, 04:35 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
I have not put a foot to a pedal in over a year. My desire to ride has gone away after the death of my riding buddy to brain cancer. He was once a low level domestic pro.

But I have been walking a lot after my wife unilaterally decided to take on a miniature Australian shepherd dog the the previous caretaker could not care for. I average about 50 miles of walking every week.

So now I have gone from Levi 550 jeans to 505 jeans.

Thighs are much smaller, but really tight and my "cottage of wattage" (Those that have been around here long enough to know Botto knows what that is) is much reduced.

Good luck with everyone's training. I miss it.

I don't, actually!
Old 05-14-21, 06:15 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
2:20 yesterday, 177 TSS. 230w AP 240w NP on the TT bike. Flying. Would have been faster but chose the safer route out of town that is both hilly and curvy.

Basically non-stop sweetspot.
Old 05-14-21, 06:38 AM
hubcyclist

I forgot to mention in my status from yesterday. I did one of my intervals on a popular metro Boston TT loop (charlie baker time trial), and was hoping to PR because I hadn't done a hard effort on it since 2015. Well, I did PR the course power wise, 266w, but I was 30 seconds slower than my PR in 2015 when I only averaged 243w, and arguably on worse gear since I had a heavier mid 90's raleigh road bike at the time compared to my recent model year Allez. Gotta pick a more favorable wind day! Funny thing is I don't think it was particularly windy, under 10mph I think. They're back to doing a weekly series there, so I may have to show up in my skinsuit and aero helmet and see how I do with that and when I can really empty the tank, rather than yesterday when I still had another 30min of work to do plus the ride home.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-14-21, 07:08 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I forgot to mention in my status from yesterday. I did one of my intervals on a popular metro Boston TT loop (charlie baker time trial), and was hoping to PR because I hadn't done a hard effort on it since 2015. Well, I did PR the course power wise, 266w, but I was 30 seconds slower than my PR in 2015 when I only averaged 243w, and arguably on worse gear since I had a heavier mid 90's raleigh road bike at the time compared to my recent model year Allez. Gotta pick a more favorable wind day! Funny thing is I don't think it was particularly windy, under 10mph I think. They're back to doing a weekly series there, so I may have to show up in my skinsuit and aero helmet and see how I do with that and when I can really empty the tank, rather than yesterday when I still had another 30min of work to do plus the ride home.
Wind can be sneaky. Even loops and out/back courses can be victim to wind depending on the direction, intensity, where hills are on the course, where trees or hedges are. It hurts a unique way, but warmer humid days are faster.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-14-21, 11:46 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It's weird. I've spent a lot more time on the trainer this year, even now that things are opening up and I am working back in the office. I used to get most of my training done before work. My building has a small gym, so I'd drop my backpack off at the office, ride out to my "intervals road," and then come back, take a shower, and go to work. Now, my office is open but the building has kept the gym closed and I really don't want to be the guy who cleans himself up in the regular office restroom. So, I've just kept my pandemic routine of hitting the trainer in the garage. I still ride to work, but I just ride easy in office clothes. It's actually pretty civilized.

My volume and CTL is lower than I would have expected, but I am actually feeling pretty fit. Not personal best, but better than I expected to be, and way fitter than I was a year ago this time.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-14-21, 11:48 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
started doing a 2x30 @ 94% on the trainer, did 17min of the first interval and was just not having it and was feeling cooked. I then decided to try it outside because it's really a magnificent day here, and at worst I'd just enjoy some time outside. I quickly found why I don't like doing outside workouts where I am because it took me about an hour to get to the loop where I could do uninterrupted work. So I did the intervals at 92 and 90% but a 90min workout turned into a 3hr ride lol But I think I need another lasko fan for my arsenal!
This is a never ending way of life for me. Winter is easy. Structured work on Zwift. A good warm winter day hits, go outside for just a "volume" ride.

Good weather? I want to be outdoors. I live in a neighborhood away from some of the busy/bad roads in Raleigh, but none of it is good for structured riding. It's all hill, hill, hill, corner, turn, stop, hill, repeat. It takes me 45min one way to get to uninterrupted riding where I can do an interval of longer than maybe 5min. I have a rolling mostly all uphill 5min interval right at my house. But that's about it. Z2 ride in my neighborhood? hahahaha. If you've got a 1:1 gear ratio in there somewhere.

PNC arena is fine, but been avoiding that due to Covid. And now we're losing our Reedy road interval spot as they're building a mega mixed use facility right off of it in the next year.

We're probably going to move when the kids are out of school. I like it here overall, but, too much. Plus, idiot city planners are trying to turn Raleigh into Atlanta version 2.0 by letting developers put high rises in all weird parts of town instead of forcing the congestion and high rises to be centralized.

But the saving grace could be if they punch the greenway through to Umstead how they say they are in a year, that'll cut 10+ minutes off each way getting to gravel riding. I can do long intervals in there no problem on "gate to gate" segments.
Old 05-14-21, 10:40 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Back home and did the Thursday track workout as planned. Our 2k team pursuits were a little weak -26 mph but hey, we did them. Rising up like a Phoenix after 15 months of no track riding is not easy.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-15-21, 02:37 PM
hubcyclist

We’re away from home again this weekend, found a loop 20mins from our hotel and did 5x16 (I know but that’s the TR workout lol) sweet spot. Nailed it. This one is classified as an 8.7 sweet spot workout in their new rating system.

I don’t know why, I don’t think it would make a big difference, but I’ve given more than just a passing thought to going 52/36 over the 50/34 I have. I don’t think I’ve ever spun out at 50-11 that I have so I think it’s just a case of a solution in search of a problem
Old 05-16-21, 10:17 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Today was my birthday and I turned 72. Woohoo! It was overcast with occasional mist and drizzle. We did a 28 mile coastal z2 ride and I got a flat tire BD present from the cycling gods. That seems wrong.

Yesterday we did 2x20K TTT on Fiesta. We have several exchange protocols for these but my wife comes up with the ideal that she will ride the first 20k with me on her wheel and I ride the second with her on my wheel. Wait a minute. That seems somewhat skewed. What the hell, I need the work anyway.

One interesting aspect was I had great legs both days. Everything seemed possible. Many times after a track pursuit workout, I have great legs. I think the higher power at higher cadence fixed gear jacks up my neurology and stroke volume. And we did not do a lot of volume at the track just sharper efforts.

Last edited by Hermes; 05-17-21 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-17-21, 04:09 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Happy birthday!! I hope you clear up.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 05-17-21, 07:12 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Happy birthday Hermes ! I hope that I am still riding well at your age.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-17-21, 07:20 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Happy Birthday!
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-17-21, 09:04 AM
caloso

2x20’ sweet spot this morning.. Felt like old times.
Old 05-17-21, 09:13 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Happy birthday Hermes! Great to have great legs!
Likes For big john:
Old 05-17-21, 10:14 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Happy birthday Hermes!
Likes For cmh:
Old 05-17-21, 10:57 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Lowering volume, hold some intensity to prep for 40k. 5min power PR in town outdoors yesterday. Z1 mostly there and back. Then two 5min efforts and one 2min effort. Just keep the system primed.

Was nice to see I could hold that power outdoors on varied terrain for that long. Zwift is an anomaly as you can have a steady climb longer than your target time. Plus, to do it twice in a ride. Ahhhh.

Debating how to handle the chain for race day. I only really have one ride left on the TT before race day. I feel a waxed chain is fastest in the "middle" of the wax job. Before dirty and time for next, but definitely not in the first 25mi. Given that, likely keep this one on there as-is.

HRM gets a battery this week. Meter has a new battery.
Old 05-17-21, 08:33 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Today was my birthday and I turned 72. Woohoo! It was overcast with occasional mist and drizzle. We did a 28 mile coastal z2 ride and I got a flat tire BD present from the cycling gods. That seems wrong.

Yesterday we did 2x20K TTT on Fiesta. We have several exchange protocols for these but my wife comes up with the ideal that she will ride the first 20k with me on her wheel and I ride the second with her on my wheel. Wait a minute. That seems somewhat skewed. What the hell, I need the work anyway.

One interesting aspect was I had great legs both days. Everything seemed possible. Many times after a track pursuit workout, I have great legs. I think the higher power at higher cadence fixed gear jacks up my neurology and stroke volume. And we did not do a lot of volume at the track just sharper efforts.
When I met you 2 years ago you looked like you were in your 50's! Watch out though, my overweight coworker told me working out too much can be dangerous. As an aside he's in his 50's and looks 72.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 05-17-21, 10:42 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

On a gym workout note, I am hitting the gym 4 time per week. Nothing crazy, just trying to keep the muscles in shape that cycling does not affect and not generate too much gym fatigue.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-18-21, 08:51 AM
hubcyclist

90min of more sweet spot, today was basically 80mins constant with periodic 30sec breaks, basically intervals at 85, 90, 95%, the 95% is tough for me indoors! Never thought I'd want a 4th fan, but I'm feeling like I should get a 4th fan this time of year!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.