Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I'm terrible at getting air - can someone help me?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-27-21, 10:36 AM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Hey everyone -

So I've recently been getting more into MTB and I love it. Just bought my first full-suspension last week (Ibis Ripmo AF) and I've been riding pretty much every day.

One thing that I am terrible at is getting air. I'm not trying to do any big jumps (at least not yet) but I'm talking about getting air off of little lips/ramps and stuff. I can get a little bit, but I feel like it's mostly through chance / luck and not because I'm actually doing anything right. I've watched some videos online but I'm not 100% sure exactly what I am doing wrong. I threw together a short video of a few jumps I did with a buddy yesterday at a local pump track and I'd love some feedback / constructive criticism. I'm the one on the silver full-sus with the red shirt.

Old 05-28-21, 11:30 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Go faster. The suspension is going to make it hard to pump the bike for more boost, go back to a hardtail or rigid to learn.
Old 05-29-21, 06:09 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I am no coaching expert, so take this all with a grain of salt.

First, you are not going very fast.

It looks like you are trying to do this mostly with your arms. Load the bike and push off with you legs more. It looks to me like you are not preloading (compressing) the suspension much before trying to spring off.

Are you dropping your saddle?

With a long travel bike like that, you are going to need to preplan and exaggerate the motions more to get the bike to pop. That bike is designed to soak up big bumps, so you almost need to trick it into popping of those bumps.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-29-21 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-29-21, 09:18 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
There are some good YouTube videos showing how to progressively manual. I'm on my phone so I can't link them, sorry but you can Google. Manualling helps lift the front end for jumps, ledges.
Old 06-01-21, 12:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
if you are the blue helmet, you are pushing off too late, it would appear, compared to the other rider. cool video!
Old 07-21-21, 05:38 PM
robertc3

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Secteur Sport, 2021 Giant Talon 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Probably way too late, but it is all about timing. You have to pop at the right time and you are just not consistent yet. That is why it feels like luck. You got it every once in a while, but were late most of the time. Check the timing on your buddy in the video. He is more consistent.
Old 07-28-21, 04:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
When I watched the men's cross country olympic race, I noticed how much air they got without even trying. Pretty interesting.

I figured out why Americans don't do too well in that race, when they went off of big drops, they didn't turn their handlebars and then lift their arms over their heads. So weird to watch.
Old 07-29-21, 09:22 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
watching the video - you're buddy pushes off with his legs with intent - before the crest. You seem to be pushing with less intent, and too late.

Your buddy pushes hard with his legs just as the front wheel is about to go past the crest.

You are pushing less hard, after the front wheel is airborne.

Push harder sooner.
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 08-05-21, 12:57 AM
AANSHAY123

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'd say go faster and try to hop with the bike. And definitely work on your push timing!
Old 08-05-21, 05:43 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
This helped me a lot:

Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-16-21, 03:04 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
First of all, I always say light hands heavy feet. I feel that it is really hard to give advice on jumping without being there. Jumping takes a lot of work and building up your confidence. The Ripmo, from my buddies review, has said that it jumps great.