Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Kona Sutra sizing

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Kona Sutra sizing

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-20, 03:50 AM
maximum01

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro 2005 racer, Rideback Horozon audax/tourer, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 520 (2020)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Kona Sutra sizing

Does anyone know why the Kona Sutra frame range stops at 58cm?

58cm is my normal road bike size as a 6 foot tall 34 inseam rider but I'm wondering if the bike would actually be too big for me given this is the largest frame they supply?
Old 01-02-20, 06:54 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I work at a bike shop and we carry Kona. I am also the only one between both shops that tour. I am 6'-1" and I have tried both a 56&58. I found the 56 to be more comfortable. But saying that I have a LHT because I want 26" wheels.
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 01-02-20, 04:04 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by maximum01

58cm is my normal road bike size as a 6 foot tall 34 inseam rider but I'm wondering if the bike would actually be too big for me given this is the largest frame they supply?
Given you have road bike experience, can't you just measure your road bike toptube and stem and compare the numbers with the sutra numbers?

I would suggest taking into account allowing for a more laid back riding position, so more conservative with seat to bars distance, toptube length. Stem length changes within reason are generally not an issue.
Take into account different handle bar shapes, some are longer, more reach than others by a lot.
Old 01-05-20, 04:08 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am 6'-4" and have the 58 cm frame on a 2018 Sutra and it fits me perfect. I also have a Trek Madone in a 60 CM frame that is essentially the identical frame size.
Old 01-06-20, 02:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by maximum01

Dont look at what a frame is sized as- that is nearly worthless. You cant compare a 58cm level top tube bike with a 58cm sloping top tube bike. And you cant compare either of those to a M or L sized bike.
Look at stack and reach measurements. Find out the measurements of your current bike(s) and then compare to the Kona's geometry. Also, Kona has general height ranges on their website so thats a simple place to start if you have no idea what the geometry of your bike is and dont know how to measure. https://www.konaworld.com/sutra.cfm