Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Raise Mountain Bike Stem by a Couple Inches?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-08-20, 10:47 PM
versicom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, I was hoping someone could help steer me in the right direction to increase the height of my mountain bike stem. I'd like to raise it by a couple inches. Grateful for any suggestions on what parts and tools I'll need. The bike is a 2012 Full Suspension Trek Fuel. Tried to post a picture but it wouldn't let me. Thank you
Old 06-08-20, 11:45 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
You have what’s called a threadless stem/fork/headset.
Tools, should be enough with 4mm/5mm Allen.
However, these setups usually don’t allow for an adjustment of ”a couple inches”. You will need to go shopping for a ”riser stem”, then swap it in.
If you look for a video on ”threadless headset adjustment” You’ll likely learn what you need.
There are ”steerer tube extenders” too. If you have an aluminium steerer, you’ll need the wraparound type. If you have a carbon fiber steerer it is generally not recommended to extend those.
Likes For dabac:
Old 06-09-20, 06:27 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
You could also look at bars with more rise.
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 06-09-20, 07:35 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Depending on the current set up high rise bars and/or a stem with a steeper rise angle are the most solid choices as the steerer would retain it's direct contact to the stem. A steerer extender/adaptor will always have more potential flex compared to the OEM system. Also note that many of these steerer extensions have a warning of no off road use, because the extra leverage and their clamping isn't as solid as the OEM direct to stem is.

Depending on the current cable lengths the higher controls might end up too short for safe use. So we always include the possible cable/casing replacement as part of the cost estimate when talking about this mod with our customers. Sometimes the OEM cables work, sometimes only the ft brake cable needs lengthening, sometimes all do. Andy
Old 06-09-20, 08:33 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
I have used Satori, Zoom is identical, and Delta steer tube risers here's the Satori installed.

Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 06-14-20, 11:32 PM
versicom

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going with a simple $20 adjustable stem from Amazon and so far it works great. We'll see if it holds up but seems pretty well built. Thanks again
Old 06-15-20, 07:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Originally Posted by versicom
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going with a simple $20 adjustable stem from Amazon and so far it works great. We'll see if it holds up but seems pretty well built. Thanks again
We see a lot of adjustable stems that have developed play in the hinge, allowing the bars to rock like a seesaw. The usual cause (besides having that hinge) is the lack of keeping the hinge and, if present, the wedge bolts tight. So I suggest checking them periodically, especially if there's hills to climb. Andy