Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fuji Newest 1.0 vs. Newest 2.0?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08, 01:52 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am looking to purchase my first road bike and was looking at some of the Fuji newest models and was wondering what differences there are between 1.0 and 2.0 and whether or not it is worth the price difference?
Old 07-26-08, 02:01 PM
nickthaquick1

Bikes: Blue Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i actually bought the newest 2.0 and wondered the same thing myself....i believe the 1.0 is the older model... its about 100-200 bucks cheaper and the main difference is the fork isnt carbon like the 2.0 is...all the components are basic shimano and i dont think theres a difference there...the fork helps a lot tho....lot lighter and dampens some of the shock you get from bumps....if your considering buying and your a beginner like i am def get it. i just got back from 34 miler and the bike performed great

as you progress you may want to upgrade things that you can swap out, maybe sear, pedals, even wheels maybe....the great thing about that is whatever you upgrade you can take with you to your next bike if you really take to it like i am...good luck!
Old 07-26-08, 02:12 PM
awfmike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the 1.0 is actually the upgraded model of the 2.0

they both have the carbon fork, it just differences in the drivetrain for the most part. the 1.0 uses a shimano 105/tiagra component set, where as the 2.0 uses a tiagra/sora set. also the wheels are different (and of course the color!)

lastly, the 2.0 is about 1.5 lbs heavier than the 1.0 out of the box.
Old 07-26-08, 02:13 PM
awfmike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://fujibikes.com/2008/bikes.asp?id=407 1.0

https://fujibikes.com/2008/bikes.asp?id=409 2.0
Old 07-26-08, 03:00 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I'd rather have a CAAD9 than that 1.0
Old 07-26-08, 03:28 PM
awfmike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've seen the 1.0 at prices around 700-750 bucks...which is the only reason i've contemplated it.
Old 07-26-08, 04:34 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I'd rather have a CAAD9 than that 1.0
Isn't the CAAD9 in a totally different price range than the newest 1.0 or 2.0?

Is the upgraded gearset in the 1.0 really worth the extra price?
Old 07-27-08, 01:35 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bump
Old 07-27-08, 02:10 PM
maximum01

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro 2005 racer, Rideback Horozon audax/tourer, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 520 (2020)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
Isn't the CAAD9 in a totally different price range than the newest 1.0 or 2.0?

Is the upgraded gearset in the 1.0 really worth the extra price?
the short answer: yes

if it's between the 1.0 and 2.0 i'd certainly spend the little extra and get the 1.0 as it has tiagra 9 speed gearing. trust me the sora on the 2.0, while ok for commuting, isnt very suitable if you're getting into proper road cycling.

you can't shift up gears from the drops with sora (some will contradict me i'm sure but trust me here) which is very limiting if you're on a long run and wanting to sit in the drops while shifting. it just takes the fun out of down hill descents having to raise up to the hoods to find a bigger gear.

also from my experience tiagra is a much more reliable than sora. i rode a sora tourer for about 2 years and in good weather it shifted fine until i hit a cold spell when the front mech became unreliable. my personal opinion here too: sora brakes are a complete joke.

but if i were u and had a little extra to spend i'd consider dropping just $200 more and getting a roubaix.....that's a much much better bike and i guarantee u my friend u would not regret it.

Last edited by maximum01; 07-27-08 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-27-08, 02:39 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're near a Performance store, they're having a really good sale on Fujis and other brands. the Mongoose Bosberg is really a good deal
Old 07-27-08, 04:33 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maximum01

if it's between the 1.0 and 2.0 i'd certainly spend the little extra and get the 1.0 as it has tiagra 9 speed gearing. trust me the sora on the 2.0, while ok for commuting, isnt very suitable if you're getting into proper road cycling.

you can't shift up gears from the drops with sora (some will contradict me i'm sure but trust me here) which is very limiting if you're on a long run and wanting to sit in the drops while shifting. it just takes the fun out of down hill descents having to raise up to the hoods to find a bigger gear.

also from my experience tiagra is a much more reliable than sora. i rode a sora tourer for about 2 years and in good weather it shifted fine until i hit a cold spell when the front mech became unreliable. my personal opinion here too: sora brakes are a complete joke.

but if i were u and had a little extra to spend i'd consider dropping just $200 more and getting a roubaix.....that's a much much better bike and i guarantee u my friend u would not regret it.
believe me I wish I could get a roubaix, but first of all I am stretching to get a bike at all (teenager), and although I have not been properly fitted, but being 5' 1", I am assuming that I will need a very small frame size and the newest models come in much smaller sizes than the roubaix
Old 07-30-08, 06:58 AM
nickthaquick1

Bikes: Blue Competition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
now that i think of it i got the 3.0
Old 07-30-08, 07:29 AM
MandyMax

Bikes: Fuji Newest 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 2.0. So far I love it. I sort of new to road biking, so I thought it was a good entry level. I am putting on about 150 miles a week on it (Commuting and weekend rides), and so far so good. The Sora/Tiagra components are working great from what I can see, but I have nothing else to compare it to.
Old 07-30-08, 07:38 AM
Ray Dockrey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My son just bought the 1.0. Very nice so far and he loves it. Not only does it have the Tiagra/105 mix but it also came with the FSA external bearing crankset. It's a nice touch. This crankset is the one that uses the pinch bolts on the left crankarm so it won't have the issues of it coming loose like some of the other FSA cranksets.
Old 07-30-08, 07:44 AM
dallasmike

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have Sora shifters, and do not have problems shifting from the drops. It seems as though you are looking for a small frame, which could possibly mean your hands are not as large as someone on a 58cm frame. I would say the upgrade is probably worth your money long term. If I had a pair of 105 shifters, I would put them on!
Old 07-30-08, 08:12 AM
Ray Dockrey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can promise you that it would take more then $200 to move up to a Roubaix.
Old 07-30-08, 08:25 AM
kingsteve233

Bikes: '08 Fuji Newest 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a 3.0 here and I have been liking it so far. If I had a few hundred more to spend I would have love to have gotten a 61cm roubaix but settled on the 58cm 3.0 since this is my first road bike and I've got a lot of miles to put down before I can justify a more expensive new bike. The 2203/Sora combination has taken a bit of getting used to, and I still need to get the FD adjustment dialed in (hopefully that will all get sorted out when I bring it in for it's initial tune-up), but for the most part it's been great for me.

I look at the price difference for new bikes just moving up a couple or three steps up in components and it's like 2x or 3x what my bike cost starting out, easily. One day I might be able to swing that, but for my needs now, this is a good bike that should last a while. I think knowing what I do now, with this bike and what I've picked up from reading the boards here, I'll probably look at buying used in the future and working with an LBS to get properly fitted to it. That'll be the way I move up in components in the future