Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

This Cannondale Criterium Series Is Killing Me

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

This Cannondale Criterium Series Is Killing Me

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-22, 01:54 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
Looking forward to what RoS brings to the table here, as noted above.
It's another '89 in 66cm form, but metallic black instead of fire engine red that I had a few years ago and sold. The metallic flake is low key and the paint had a number of chips as well as bubbling. I bought it as a frameset for cheap, locally, with the worst and smallest CL photos ever, save for the two with the serial number (those were clutch). Dirty and dusty, but it's black paint, which is easy enough to match. Black paint with gold graphics says Black Lightning, but it has an aluminum fork. And since no component on it was original, it's basically a classic Cannondale Mystery Meat SR. The plastic cable guides are in perfect shape, and the DT shifter bosses are complete and in great shape as well. All told, it's doing really well for an old Cannondale frameset. And it's gloss black. Gloss black is the best.

Roger, you and I will have the same overall reach, but I'll be running a lower elevation saddle height. I'm in the middle of getting the inner steerer to work with my Innicycle headset (needs more filing/sanding) as well as correcting some post-heat-treatment wheel alignment issues. Wheels will be my self-built 7400 8-speed hubs laced with DT Swiss spokes to Open Pro black rims. Chorus 9-speed crankset and 7800 everything else. Tires are Vittoria Corsa 32s that are pretty shy 32s when mounted onto classic width rims like Open Pros. Nearly 28.5mm wide at about 70 PSI. They should be about 30.0mm wide on 21mm (external) Shimano wheels (like Dura-Ace C24s) and probably bang on the money on a 23-25mm external rim. The 28.5mm width is perfect for the front because there is no more room for them. The back can run a larger tire.

I'll likely be able to get to it again on Saturday as I'll be busy Friday night. So far I just have the frame and fork sitting on the wheels and tires, nothing else, no top of the headset or bearings. It looks proper and I can't wait to get it done and see how Current Year RoS likes it and thinks about it compared to Previous Riddle.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 08-09-22, 08:04 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
1989 SRx00

This frameset cleaned up really well, an easy 2-3 footer. Components are listed in the post above. The frame angles look surprisingly normal enough in this photo. In other photos and in real life, it's pretty much insane.

This bike does well in the saddle--tons of power transfer. The really long top tube calms the ride. Out of saddle is fine--plenty capable and responsive, though lacking the eagerness expressed by my FX or 1.5. The 1.5 is the most 'natural' out-of-saddle climber (when paired with my movements in concert with it) of my aluminum bikes. The 7800 shifting is great. So is the braking.

Recalling my experience with my old red 66cm SR800, there is similarity between the two even as I have years, experience, and an increased sensitivity to a bike's character. Not a barn burner out of the saddle but not dead, competently efficient in the saddle. Working the tire pressures at a 28mm size can help a lot. [Let it be known that the aluminum fork (steel steerer) is not harsh! Neither is the frame!] Still, my primary riding environment is hostile to race bikes, even fancy carbon stuff (minus, say, an S-Works Roubaix SL4 which I still need to try out if I ever find one for not $$$), so as valiantly as this tries, bad roads make it a vanity option at best, and from that standpoint, I think it looks a little goofy since I don't have a longer inseam or reach. That also remains the same for me. A 63cm is too small, which is a classic issue with Cannondales and me. 65cm is my upper limit for proportional decency on horizontal top tube frames.

I love the way these old Cannondale frames look--big tubes and smooth welds are cool. As always, it's angles, fitment and riding environment. If you like what you see and know where you ride, I still recommend them 100%. Remember those #10-32 bolts for the bottle cages and you're set. It's been a nice reunion. 2,496g is the frame/fork/Stronglight headset's weight. As shown, this bike is 20.5 lbs. Impressive!

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 02-09-23, 12:36 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Here it is February and I’m longingly looking at the Criterium Series. Conditioning rides on the winter mtb to help buffer my first ride on the black beast. Can’t wait.