Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Mounted helmet camera suggestions?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-06-22, 08:33 PM
ThisJustIn

Bikes: Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi,

I would eventually like to purchase a helmet mounted camera, such as a GoPro or something of the sort, to capture my rides and make a compilation out of them. I don't want to spend more than $500 on the setup but I would also like to produce some good quality videos. Is there anything you guys would suggest that fits my budget?

Thanks.

- J

Also, I would like it to pick up audio. And it also doesn't have to be brand new.
Old 08-07-22, 06:22 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I have used several GoPro cameras over the years. I started out using a Hero 7 Silver but wanted better audio so I moved up to the Hero 7 Black which I think I bought on Swappa.com. One problem with the helmet mount is the weight of the camera adds up over a ride which might cause neck muscle sag. Another issue is sound which the camera above your mouth picking up your voice can be difficult. I tried various microphones attached to the camera mounted below my outfront computer mount and that worked okay but the video shots weren't always where I wanted them. Then I bought the Hero 10 Black added the microphone mode and put the camera in my jersey pocket pulling it out for shooting but this was slow and sometimes I missed the shot. I searched around for a quick release mount and found one on AliExpress that puts a Garmin mount on the GoPro and then I added a Garmin mount to my handlebar. Now I have a fixed camera for some shots and a hand held camera for other shots. The microphone mod picks up the sounds better too. You can see my videos at my YT channel YouTube.com/c/RickAnkrum The empty mount on the handlebar holds the GoPro.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 08-07-22, 11:02 AM
ThisJustIn

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker
I have used several GoPro cameras over the years. I started out using a Hero 7 Silver but wanted better audio so I moved up to the Hero 7 Black which I think I bought on Swappa.com. One problem with the helmet mount is the weight of the camera adds up over a ride which might cause neck muscle sag. Another issue is sound which the camera above your mouth picking up your voice can be difficult. I tried various microphones attached to the camera mounted below my outfront computer mount and that worked okay but the video shots weren't always where I wanted them. Then I bought the Hero 10 Black added the microphone mode and put the camera in my jersey pocket pulling it out for shooting but this was slow and sometimes I missed the shot. I searched around for a quick release mount and found one on AliExpress that puts a Garmin mount on the GoPro and then I added a Garmin mount to my handlebar. Now I have a fixed camera for some shots and a hand held camera for other shots. The microphone mod picks up the sounds better too. You can see my videos at my YT channel YouTube.com/c/RickAnkrum The empty mount on the handlebar holds the GoPro.
Thank you for your informative reply! I had not considered camera weight as a potential contributor to neck pain. I will likely duplicate your set-up of Garmin mount with GoPro following this. However, I have seen other cyclists with a helmet/mount combo that was quite discreet and light looking, which is appealing. I imagine though that what they're using is quite pricey :/

Also, will check out your YT vids 😎
Old 08-07-22, 05:49 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Drift Ghost XL Pro are popular for helmet mounting
Likes For RGMN:
Old 08-07-22, 05:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by ThisJustIn
Hi,I would eventually like to purchase a helmet mounted camera, such as a GoPro or something of the sort, to capture my rides and make a compilation out of them. I don't want to spend more than $500 on the setup but I would also like to produce some good quality videos. Is there anything you guys would suggest that fits my budget? Also, I would like it to pick up audio. And it also doesn't have to be brand new.
been very happy w/ a refurb'd GoPro8 off Amazon. mounting anything, anywhere, is a task. I'm all set but my mount is custom so I can't recommend it for others. but I like it mounted to the front of my helmet. when it's dark I mount a light on top of the helmet & they don't interfere w/ ea. other. I tried camera on top but there were conflicts w/ the light on the front being visible in the frame. very good audio capture, right out of the box. very good image stabilization. so good, in fact, one can also mount it on the bars for a different effect & still have a stable image that doesn't throw the viewer into convulsions ... hehe. I like switching back & forth during rides. but my fav. is on the front of the helmet. I bought a black helmet so the cam would blend in better & look less dorky from a distance or while passing ppl

at nite, no one can see the robot head. the weight is distributed pretty well

like I wrote, it's a custom mount, so, not good for everyone. now, I actually slide the bracket all the way up, into the zip ties. when traveling, it's easy to slide out & then, upon arrival, slide it back in

on the bars you get more ground effect audio, on the helmet there's less clatter

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-08-22 at 05:27 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-11-22, 09:31 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts

This is my setup.
Old 08-11-22, 06:03 PM
ThisJustIn

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4

This is my setup.
Right on. I would find this too obtrusive for myself, however. I've seen some cyclist pass me by and their set-up is very discreet. Their helmet cams seem to protrude just slightly, and the housing is sleek and runs parallel to the helmet vents.
Old 08-12-22, 09:40 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Right on. I would find this too obtrusive for myself, however. I've seen some cyclist pass me by and their set-up is very discreet. Their helmet cams seem to protrude just slightly, and the housing is sleek and runs parallel to the helmet vents.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Ideally, the camera should be at eye-level so you record what you're looking at. My camera is about 4 to 6 inches above my eye. So I have to tilt it up abit to record parallel up ahead when I'm peddling and my head is facing down.

Anyways, I've made its shortcoming into an advantage. The camera is so visible that not only do people ask me about it but cars trying to enter the road where I am riding sometimes backup to clear the bike lane I am on.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-16-22, 03:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I really enjoyed this camera & mount for several years. wish it had digital image stabilization tho. the lack there-of is why I got the GoPro8

another custom mount, hehe