Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Belt Drive and Fixing a Flat

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Belt Drive and Fixing a Flat

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 02:11 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I am still interested in belt drive.... i m looking to get a SE tripel.... i think i may see if i can't get that hooked up with a gates centertrack belt drive at some point.

- Andy
Old 01-31-15, 10:41 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
The real pain in the hindquarters with IGH hubs and tire repair are those with a coaster brake reaction arm that mounts to the chainstay...

I've only had to change the tire on mine (Shimano 7-speed), never had to repair a flat in the 9 months that I have had it. I really wish this old, second-hand bike didn't have the coaster brake but a hand brake instead, but this setup is common here in Scandinavia.
Old 12-03-15, 04:51 PM
Christiaan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't know if the manufacturers corrected the problem or not...There is nothing wrong with chain drives. Chains are simple and easy to maintain or replace when they wear out. Why waste money on something that has no advantages...
No grease is a major advantage for people like me who bike everywhere in their normal clothes.
Old 12-04-15, 09:45 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Most flats don't require removing the wheel.

These are the steps I learned riding a horizontal drop bike with fenders, an IGH and a fully covered crankcase.
1. Pull tire off one side of rim.
2. Locate hole in tube
3. Check tire for obstruction that caused hole in tube.
4. Remove obstruction in tire
5. Patch hole in tube.
6. Reinstall the tire on the rim
7. Inflate
8. Carry on.
+1.

It is sad, if not shameful, how few cyclists patch their tubes. To patch a tube takes little more time than replacing the tube, and the properly patched tube is every bit as good as a new one. In terms of money, new tubes cost ten or twenty times as much as patches. In environmental terms... oh, I will spare you the lecture, but really I was just getting started.
Old 12-04-15, 10:11 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
On shimano hubs the cable can be unhooked in like .5 seconds, it has a lil directional screw that clamps down on the end & anchors into a slot, just pop it out of slot and you're golden. Be sure to thread the cable around the hub properly when re-instaling, or you'll end up not shifting correctly & possibly damaging the mechanisms inside.

- Andy
You know, if it was a big problem it seems to me that you could have the spare tube already looped inside the triangle, bag it up or something and strapped to a stay down by the axle. That way you could change your tube also without having to take the wheel off, or even having to loosen it. Heck maybe you could keep 2 or 3 tubes that way just in case.
Old 12-04-15, 10:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Have you seen the Gaadi Bicycle Tube by Rubena.

The design is to remove the tube without removing the wheel.
Old 12-04-15, 10:51 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Nice, but what I really want to know is how she was carrying it and those tools so discretely.
Old 12-07-15, 03:53 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I ride a Rohloff equipped Gates Carbon drive bike. Taking the rear wheel out is no different than a derailleur equipped bike.
1. Remove external gear mech from hub
2. Open Locknut or quick release
3. Move snubber to outside position
4. Lift wheel out of frame without getting hands dirty since belt is not oiled and full with grime
5. Fix flat
6. Reverse steps

Last edited by Scummer; 12-07-15 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-07-15, 09:09 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have an old Raleigh 3 speed. I really don't want to get a flat on that thing....so I have thorn proof tubes and tires with puncture resistance. It will ahve to be something pretty major to get through both tire and tube. 
Old 12-07-15, 09:48 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Most flats don't require removing the wheel.

These are the steps I learned riding a horizontal drop bike with fenders, an IGH and a fully covered crankcase.

2. Locate hole in tube

5. Patch hole in tube.

8. Carry on.
Step 2 is often easier said then done, especially in the dark, or under noisy conditions by the side of a busy road or windy conditions when listening for air escaping from a leak is not as easy as saying just do it.

Step 5 may be impossible under freezing or wet weather conditions. Ever try getting rubber cement from a frozen container or applying a patch to a wet tube? The only carrying on will be the unfortunate fellow carrying his sorry self and flatted bike to shelter.
Old 12-10-15, 01:29 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=-
This is kind of elementary, but everyone should do a dry-run flat repair on any new bike and immediately pick up all the stuff you used and throw it in you bike bag.
Not very much fun on the side of the road wondering about something as the sun is going d
.................................................................................................... .........................o
.................................................................................................... .............................w
.................................................................................................... ................................n
.................................................................................................... .................................

That also means some cheap readers for we oLde people

But I agree with the posts about not removing the wheel at all once you learn your bike. I havent had a flat that required a tube/rim removal in almost a decade. KoW!
heh this is also why I keep the helmet mount for my front light attached to my helmet. If I have a flat in the dark I can pop my light off the handlebars and onto the helmet so I can see what I'm doing! I've never had to use it yet, though.

I carry a tube so that I can just pop in a new tube and worry about patching later. I did just replace my commuter bike's rear tube last week because it already had at least 4 patches on it, and it was leaking air faster than normal somewhere. I had it up over 100 PSI that morning, and by the time I got home that evening it had about 30 PSI in it.
Old 12-10-15, 02:37 PM
allan6344

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Someone in the forum suggested using a cotton ball to wipe the inside of the tire. If anything is sticking through the casing it should snag a few strands of the cotton so you can make sure to remove it before putting in the backup tube. My most common flat is from radial tire wires that are very small and hard to find. I also carry a small pair of tweezers to pull the glass or wire out before installing the tube.
Old 12-28-15, 07:26 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
You know, if it was a big problem it seems to me that you could have the spare tube already looped inside the triangle, bag it up or something and strapped to a stay down by the axle. That way you could change your tube also without having to take the wheel off, or even having to loosen it. Heck maybe you could keep 2 or 3 tubes that way just in case.
That sounds like a great idea for those with longer rides & those that ride in any weather!

- Andy
Old 12-28-15, 07:35 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I ordered several of those from Holland recently, should have them in the next few days. They are available on Amazon, but I wanted them with Dunlop valves.
Old 12-29-15, 01:13 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I ordered several of those from Holland recently, should have them in the next few days. They are available on Amazon, but I wanted them with Dunlop valves.
Why did you choose dunlop valves?
Old 12-29-15, 09:19 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think the modern style Dunlop valve works better, and is more convenient than Schrader or Presta valves.
Old 12-29-15, 11:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Using eccentric BB +/or vertical sliding dropouts you should be able to re tension the belt, as you put the wheel back in.
Old 12-29-15, 11:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

As I recall past posts he got a Dutch Bike with what is a common utilitarian type Inner tube in Europe , and was flummoxed initially.

But has now learned why that 3rd valve type is still sold, and likes it.
Old 12-29-15, 11:18 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
If you want to see some really well thought out belt drive bikes, go to the TiCycles website. They have the dropout issues solved very nicely. They have also built bikes with just one set of stays, no left side, so you can just lay the bike down and pull the tire and tube right off with the wheel in place, never messing with the belt tension.

If you are considering a belt drive, it is worth looking at their stuff just to see what can be done. (Re-fitting bikes is also something they do a lot of: for belts, for S&S couplers, etc.)

Ben
Old 12-29-15, 11:22 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I think the modern style Dunlop valve works better, and is more convenient than Schrader or Presta valves.
I had good luck with the Dunlop valves on the bike tubes on my German bikes, but never found them "more convenient" than Schrader valves which can be refilled without an adapter at any gas station or garage air pump worldwide.
Old 12-29-15, 11:48 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
On a trip in the Florida Keys last week I got a flat per day on my rear wheel from tiny bits of wire. I think the front wheel kicked up the wire and the rear wheel picked it up. These were all slow leaks that took a couple minutes to lose the air. Took off the rear wheel to change the tube for the first flat, but once I realized all I needed to do was find the wire and pinhole, the next three flats were patched leaving the wheel on. Saves a bit of time, and repairing on the bike is no more difficult than removing the wheel and repairing off the bike.
Old 12-29-15, 02:57 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
As I recall past posts he got a Dutch Bike with what is a common utilitarian type Inner tube in Europe , and was flummoxed initially.

But has now learned why that 3rd valve type is still sold, and likes it.
While I do have a Dutch bike, you may have me confused with someone else as Dunlop valves aren't new to me. I first encountered them when I was stationed in Germany in the early 80s.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I had good luck with the Dunlop valves on the bike tubes on my German bikes, but never found them "more convenient" than Schrader valves which can be refilled without an adapter at any gas station or garage air pump worldwide.
More convenient as they're easier to remove the valve and deflate, don't loose air when disconnecting pump or checking pressure, useses the same pump fitting as a presta, and seems to be less susceptible to moisture and corrosion.
Nothing big, but I do like them better, can order them directly from Schwalbe, and get them the next day as their world DC is here in Washington.
Old 12-29-15, 03:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I only hear the air from the Pump hose escaping so I Dont understand your problem, maybe technique?

I have 1 valve cap with the removal tool on my Schrader tube bikes un screwing the valve core is no challenge.

Yea Schwalbe sells tubes with all 3 stems .. I have A/V 4 in my Brompton.
Old 12-29-15, 09:47 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I only hear the air from the Pump hose escaping so I Dont understand your problem, maybe technique?

I have 1 valve cap with the removal tool on my Schrader tube bikes un screwing the valve core is no challenge.

Yea Schwalbe sells tubes with all 3 stems .. I have A/V 4 in my Brompton.
I guess I'm a total klutz, whenever I check the pressure, or top off any tire using a Schrader valve, I let a bit of air escape, sometimes a lot. Doesn't matter if I'm using my Park floor pump, Park frame pump, compressor, or various other pumps, it's always the same.

I keep a valve core tool cap on my bikes, and motorcycle, but I sure do like being able to remove a Dunlop valve core as easily as removing a Schrader cap without any tool.

I'm intrigued by the universal valve core that Alligator sells that works with all 3 types of valves. The real bonus is it converts a Schrader to a Presta/Dunlop.
A universal valve core and cap is $1, so next time I order something from Holland I'll get enough to convert my other bikes with some spares.

Attached Images