Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Mixed “Surface” Rides

Old 05-09-22, 04:25 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Mixed “Surface” Rides

I love these mixed surface rides, where I have an idea of a direction I’m heading but make last minute decisions on the specific route. Probably my favourite riding!

I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but I didn’t take my phone on today’s mixed surface ride (and this was more than a variety of surfaces, maybe the other term is locations? You can help define). I’ll list the locations and surfaces on this short (25k ride):

- rolled off my driveway onto my paved local street in my neighborhood
​​​​​​- main road was busy so I jumped a curb up onto the sidewalk for 1km (38mm Barlow Pass about 5x more comfy than my 25mm road tires)
- cut through an auto body parking lot that was empty
- onto a smooth paved path that runs along an industrial road
- onto a street out of town (passing last street light I would see until I return)
- 2km on a crushed stone trail running alongside a forest
- cobble path running along a road in an upscale neighborhood
- 15% climb up a twisty, gravel road (closed winter months)
- left onto a small section of an established trail system, mix of gravel, dirt, wood chips, wooden bridges, pine needles, single track with easy to avoid rocks and roots, small grass section running along a touristy farm house (that is occupied but public allowed in the area)
- paused in a forest leaning my bike on a sign with information about the trees in that area
- reversed the route home but went through a gate to a water reservoir seeing some deer and lots of birds, up a steep grass/dirt climb onto my street and then home

Sure I could do this on any bike, but my allroad bike eats this up 😁
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 05-09-22, 05:54 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
It would seem that most of us - BF riders who classify themselves as 'gravel' riders because we ride 'gravel' type surfaces and with bikes between the 'road' and 'mtb' idioms, ride mixed surfaces.
Certainly there are riders who might live on a dirt road and their tires can go round without touching 'pavement/tarmac/concrete' for an entire ride, but most cover 'mixed' surface.
It's a great story (as are all bike rides) which rarely gets play in the online forums. Sometimes a pic or 2, but rarely a whole 'story'.
I very much enjoyed @Noonievut 's post/story in words, fully enjoying put my own metal images to the sections.
But I would also enjoy having a poster's images in place with the verbal imagery of the story.
It's rarely done and really the locus and focus of our rides, the equipment, the 'feel' of what we experience.
It would be great to have a 'Thread' - sticky thread - devoted to 'A Ride Story'. Something which brings across the ride, the feel, the experience, in words and maybe 5 or 6 images, and whatever else fits/helps.
A 'Short Story', done for gravel riding. 'O. Henry' for the bike...
It might not be an easy thing, but when one does something like this, they get to do the 'ride' one more time; in the recollection and the telling. It also focuses the attention more acutely on future rides.
I'll try that for some future ride...
In the meantime...
Hey Mods for CX and Gravel Forum - why not make the "Gravel RIde Pics' a sticky, so it's always up top, for all of us to see, admire, and remind...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 05-10-22, 01:25 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Yah, I've created some 36mm Conti GP5000 tires that rule on a fast group ride, yet eat up class 1 & 2 gravel and horrid chip seal. Its been a long time grail to have a bike as fast as my track bike, yet doesn't hold me back on any outdoor ride due ride surfaces. at 38psi they are nice and cush, yet have about 1/2 the rolling resistance of a typical gravel tire. I can have the fun of mountain biking without driving to a trail head! :-)
Likes For chas58:
Old 05-10-22, 01:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
How wide of an internal rim do you need to get 32mm GP5K to push out to 36mm?
Old 05-11-22, 08:04 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
How wide of an internal rim do you need to get 32mm GP5K to push out to 36mm?
29 internal. The rim is rated for 35mm, and the tire measures just under 36 - its nice and snug. Never had so much fun on a non mountain bike. Some day Conti will make a 35mm version (fingers crossed).
Old 05-11-22, 10:10 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
29 internal. The rim is rated for 35mm, and the tire measures just under 36 - its nice and snug. Never had so much fun on a non mountain bike. Some day Conti will make a 35mm version (fingers crossed).
I've read so many people having issues with those tires, specifically the tubeless version. Have you had any problems?
Old 05-11-22, 11:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...and-prix-urban
35mm, black or tan wall, only 15g heavier than GP5k S TR 32, and almost the same measured rolling resistance.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...and-prix-urban
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-11-22, 04:03 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
paved local street in my neighborhood
jumped a curb
cut through an auto body parking lot
smooth paved path that runs along an industrial road
a street out of town
a crushed stone trail
cobble path
a twisty, gravel road
mix of gravel, dirt, wood chips, wooden bridges, pine needles, single track
paused in a forest
Yeah, I don't care if this is called gravel, urban, mixed, or whatever -- for me, it's called "a typical bike ride," and I love to do it on 650b X 47, with or without gears.

It's my favorite kind of riding, as well.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-12-22, 04:03 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3249 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
Schwalbe makes a 34mm of the Pro One FWIW.