Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Topeak Pump Questions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Topeak Pump Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-18, 03:15 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Topeak Pump Questions

Hi everyone,
I'm having problems with a Topeak Road Morph G Mini Pump and/or my Kenda tubes with presta valves. I bought in 2013 but hardly used it much until recently. I've had a run of flats over the past 6 months and am alarmed with the amount of bent plungers in the valve cores that I've been suffering. This happened today. I tried to blow up the tube (which was low but not flat) & the following happened: 1) initially the tube held air but every time I disconnected the head of the pump hose the tire mostly deflated through the valve in a second or two, 2) I reattached the head (firmly but not roughly I thought) & tried to repump the tire, and 3) bent the plunger to the point the tire wouldn't take air. This only happens rarely with my Specialized floor pump. any recommendations? Is the problem the tubes? The pump? Me?
Old 03-18-18, 03:44 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I used Morph at some point regularly, but not recently, and do not recall any particular problems with the chuck. Your 1) seems to indicate a problem in the valve, not the pump. Regarding the pump, you can change the grip by tightening or loosening the washer. Are both the washer and rigid element directions in the chuck consistent with Presta?
Old 03-18-18, 04:19 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Regarding the pump, you can change the grip by tightening or loosening the washer. Are both the washer and rigid element directions in the chuck consistent with Presta?
Thanks for responding. I'm confused by your answer. What is the "rigid element"? Is the washer you reference an internal part on the pump?
Old 03-18-18, 04:31 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Try not pushing the pump head all the way onto the stem. With a presta valve, there's no mechanical contact needed to depress the valve's core; it's done by air pressure, so you don't need to 'bottom out' the pump head like you would for a schrader valve.
Old 03-18-18, 04:46 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
Thanks for responding. I'm confused by your answer. What is the "rigid element"? Is the washer you reference an internal part on the pump?

In the chuck you have two pieces secured with a nut, a rigid piece that goes deeper and a washer in the outer position. When you switch from Schraeder to Presta you reverse the orientation of both but still the washer needs to stay in the outer position. As you screw the nut on, you compress the washer and the more compressed it gets the tighter will be the grip on the valve. When you move the lever on the chuck, you likely additionally compress the washer - would need to check.
Old 03-18-18, 05:11 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
When I acquired my first presta-valved bike I bent the plunger and funked up the valve core a few times using the presta head on my pump. I bought a couple of presta to schrader adapters for convenience as my original floor pumps (home & office) were schrader only.

Since using presta to shrader adapters (09 years) I haven't had any bent plungers or ruined core valves.
Old 03-18-18, 08:09 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
In the chuck you have two pieces secured with a nut, a rigid piece that goes deeper and a washer in the outer position. When you switch from Schraeder to Presta you reverse the orientation of both but still the washer needs to stay in the outer position. As you screw the nut on, you compress the washer and the more compressed it gets the tighter will be the grip on the valve. When you move the lever on the chuck, you likely additionally compress the washer - would need to check.
Thanks
Old 03-18-18, 08:10 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
When I acquired my first presta-valved bike I bent the plunger and funked up the valve core a few times using the presta head on my pump. I bought a couple of presta to schrader adapters for convenience as my original floor pumps (home & office) were schrader only.

Since using presta to shrader adapters (09 years) I haven't had any bent plungers or ruined core valves.
Thanks!