Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New road bikes w/ downtube shifters and straight top tubes?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New road bikes w/ downtube shifters and straight top tubes?

Old 10-06-20, 08:03 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Great suggestions, and a number that I don't know of. As always, there is custom--build whatever you want! Aside from that, I think finding a frameset that you really like, in solid (internal condition), and repaint and re-decal that into a mint-looking ride.
Old 10-06-20, 08:30 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Franklin Frames in Ohio will make most any style frame you like I think, really nice custom workmanship
Old 10-06-20, 11:40 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Masi is also having product shortages, but they make a pretty nice replica.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 10-07-20, 12:23 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
I think Soma road frames still take DT shifters.

Their top tubes are not exactly horizontal, but close to it.
Old 10-07-20, 04:05 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
The Marinoni SL is pretty cool.

I think it has downtube braze-ons.

Last edited by John Nolan; 10-07-20 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-07-20, 04:21 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Market forces....

Both the noun and verb.

There's not a lot of demand for DT shifters in case one wanted to make a living on them; the supply chain is a fractured web.
The time when DT cable stops are no longer available (new) is approaching. They will become scarce and then none.

I imagine it's fairly difficult to sell a relatively heavy steel bike to a niche market, especially at a cost competitive with a myriad of other options.
"Steel" represents a different thought process to many people these days. Were I to build frames, I'd try to use recycled steel if possible.

While there's interest in what the OP mentions, it's not backed by a proletarian planet-wide pocketbook push.
In a world fueled by forces striving to separate you from what money you have, some choices don't make it.

Market forces.
Both the noun and verb.

That doesn't mean an '88 Ironman with 10-sp DA downtube shifters, an external-cup BB, light crankset and modern stem, bars, saddle, wheels, etc is not a rocket. It will be the Van Halen (RIP) of your group, the star in the lower sky, the highest of the mid-hanging fruit, everyman's fulfilment of speed and motion in an economical and pragmatic attack on market forces. You build, you ride, you overcome, you amaze your friends, woo the undecided, and dominate the world before you, heightened in stature and endowment.

Yep, straight top tube, DT shifters. Ironman.
(YMMV)

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-07-20 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-07-20, 10:26 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I think Soma road frames still take DT shifters.
Their top tubes are not exactly horizontal, but close to it.
Stanyan comes to mind.
Old 10-07-20, 11:24 AM
Bicicletta89

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by delicious
You might like this vintage inspired road bike by State:

https://www.statebicycle.com/collect...-green-8-speed

A few different colors are available.
I saw someone with that same green retro road bike by State at the park the other day. It’s really beautiful in person.

I wonder if we are about to see increased demand and then increased production of vintage style new parts and new bikes. The pandemic-fueled bike demand has forced so many vintage bikes back onto the roads. At least in my city I see them mostly used by young people; a whole new generation is discovering vintage road bikes. They’re everywhere. Given millennials and zoomers’ general love of vintage things/style and interest in non-disposable well crafted items that last I think these events will change things.

When I was in high school, not much music was being released on new vinyl records and they were pretty scarce. The market was mostly just used LPs. New were either cheap and ****ty or a small number of super high end models. Nowadays almost everything comes out on new vinyl and there is a much, much wider market of really good quality turntables and equipment at a variety of price points.
Old 10-07-20, 11:40 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by evwxxx
Franklin Frames in Ohio will make most any style frame you like I think, really nice custom workmanship

Speaking of....

Franklin bicycle

One could easily "upgrade" to DT shifters.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 10-07-20, 11:42 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts

$550.00 for this bike seems like a bargain assuming it will last as long as some of the vintage bikes we all love...

Old 10-07-20, 01:30 PM
cyclist_obscura

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Condor Classico Road, lugged (28.6mm ST, 1" steerer, threaded)
https://www.condorcycles.com/collect...-road-frameset

Condor Classico Stainless, fillet brazed (SS fork & rear triangle, 31.8mm ST, 1-1/8" steerer, threadless)
https://www.condorcycles.com/collect...nless-frameset
Old 10-07-20, 03:43 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
What's the fun in buying a new frame?

The hunter gatherer in me wants to search for that elusive vintage grail bike.
Old 10-07-20, 04:12 PM
Bicicletta89

Originally Posted by branko_76
ah yes, the $2,800 "push-me-pull-you"

By “push me pull you” do you mean that it’s really heavy? I’ve never used a Rivendell, so I have no idea.
Old 10-07-20, 04:20 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,890 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicicletta89
By “push me pull you” do you mean that it’s really heavy? I’ve never used a Rivendell, so I have no idea.
I think that was referring to the disembodied hands in the picture.
Old 10-07-20, 08:04 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicicletta89
in the photo there are two hands having a tug-of-war with it
Old 10-07-20, 08:24 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by therearegoats
All,

Does anyone know of any manufacturers out there that still make classic road bikes with down-tube shifters and straight top tubes? I know Bianchi does, but I'm looking for something a bit cheaper. I'll build my own one of these days, but time is lacking right now.

Thanks a bunch,
Robert
Robert, just curious why you would want one? i have been riding one all summer and like the simplicity, and it just has a 6 speed rear tranny, more than enuf for flat landers. the bike i ride is an old trek 1000, simple everything and no worry about expensive brifter breaking.
Old 10-09-20, 01:24 PM
Bicicletta89

in the photo there are two hands having a tug-of-war with it
Lol! Didn't even notice the hands.
Old 10-12-20, 11:58 AM
holder66

Bikes: Da Vinci Grand Junction tandem, Miele Gara, Giant Cypress LX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by therearegoats
All,

Does anyone know of any manufacturers out there that still make classic road bikes with down-tube shifters and straight top tubes? I know Bianchi does, but I'm looking for something a bit cheaper. I'll build my own one of these days, but time is lacking right now.

Thanks a bunch,
Robert
Marinoni sells both frames as well as complete bikes with a wide range of components. I think the prices might be in Canadian dollars, even! I'm not allowed to post the URL, but look for the SL model under the road bikes tab.
Old 10-12-20, 01:58 PM
SkyWave

Bikes: 1970 Gitane Tandem, OPUS CX Ultegra Di2 '14, MARINONI Retro SL Campagnolo '17, MARINONI Tourismo '00 Shimano 105, KHS Tandemania Cross Shimano

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
MARINONI - Columbus tubes

Several people have mentioned MARINONI and I selected the MARINONI SL (Columbus Tubing) for my build after looking at the Bianchi Eroica. Cycles Marinoni Inc. - SL

The choice was influenced by the fact I am Canadian and the bike is manufactured in Montreal, QC, Canada and a custom build and paint is available.
Any build will use current groups (brifters - not DT shifters) from Campagnolo or Shimano. If you wish to be vintage and "Eroica" compliant you will have to search for the proper wheels, pedals, brake levers and DT shifters (Dia-Compe) etc.
I did choose this route as I wished to have a bicycle that would be safe, problem free and be mine. I used my LBS for the build, the only disadvantage is the restricted tire size (27 mm).

My build used vintage (1980's) Campagnolo SR brakes, levers, pedals) with modern Campagnolo Potenza drive train,
silver polish for stem, bars & seat post (DedaElementi) with Brooks saddle and bar tape,
wheelset used Ambrosio MONTREAL tubular rims laced to Campagnolo Chorus hubs.

After this I did find an 2000's MARINONI 'touring' frame of Columbus SPX which allows for 35 mm tires to give me two fantastic steel rides.
Turas Mor 2018
Old 10-12-20, 02:08 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts

$550.00 for this bike seems like a bargain assuming it will last as long as some of the vintage bikes we all love...

What brand is that? Edit: I realized this is the State brand mentioned in a previous post. I think it is very attractive.
Old 10-12-20, 04:12 PM
holder66

Bikes: Da Vinci Grand Junction tandem, Miele Gara, Giant Cypress LX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That State bike pictured in the previous post has a straight fork, without the bend which acts like a spring and contributes to the comfort and pleasure of riding a steel frame.
Old 10-12-20, 04:38 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
You could just keep your eyes peeled, for a Bianchi in your budget. 🤔😁😉 Not every day, but nice deals are out there. 🙂
Old 10-13-20, 09:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by holder66
That State bike pictured in the previous post has a straight fork, without the bend which acts like a spring and contributes to the comfort and pleasure of riding a steel frame.
Nothing in this world is perfect. Some focus on the 98% while others focus on the 2%.
Old 10-13-20, 09:55 AM
Bicicletta89

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Nothing in this world is perfect. Some focus on the 98% while others focus on the 2%.
So true! Every bike is going to have something that isn’t ideal. Even a custom bike will have compromises surely. Just get one you like and enjoy it!
Old 10-13-20, 09:57 AM
Bicicletta89

Originally Posted by SkyWave
Several people have mentioned MARINONI and I selected the MARINONI SL (Columbus Tubing) for my build after looking at the Bianchi Eroica. Cycles Marinoni Inc. - SL

The choice was influenced by the fact I am Canadian and the bike is manufactured in Montreal, QC, Canada and a custom build and paint is available.
Any build will use current groups (brifters - not DT shifters) from Campagnolo or Shimano. If you wish to be vintage and "Eroica" compliant you will have to search for the proper wheels, pedals, brake levers and DT shifters (Dia-Compe) etc.
I did choose this route as I wished to have a bicycle that would be safe, problem free and be mine. I used my LBS for the build, the only disadvantage is the restricted tire size (27 mm).

My build used vintage (1980's) Campagnolo SR brakes, levers, pedals) with modern Campagnolo Potenza drive train,
silver polish for stem, bars & seat post (DedaElementi) with Brooks saddle and bar tape,
wheelset used Ambrosio MONTREAL tubular rims laced to Campagnolo Chorus hubs.

After this I did find an 2000's MARINONI 'touring' frame of Columbus SPX which allows for 35 mm tires to give me two fantastic steel rides.
Turas Mor 2018
That’s awesome! If I were ever to get a new (as in not vintage) bike I’d want something like that and would opt for non-aero brakes like you did. I love their simplicity and can’t see myself ever going fast enough (even at high speeds) for the stopping power difference between non-aero and aero to make a difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.