Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ever buy a bike without a test ride?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ever buy a bike without a test ride?

Old 09-09-21, 11:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The TT race bike. I wrote down my existing fit coordinates, then looked up the bike's geometry chart online and made sure I had some play each way to adjust things.

It was a Pros Closet used bike, only short term complaint was either they or the prior user assembled the stack spacers wrong. There's a hidden ferrule that keeps the bolts digging further into the base bar than designed. They were missing. Caught in time when I went to make a fit update later.

Buying sight unseen is fine if you bother to measure your existing bike fits and lookup or ask for geometry of what you are buying. You can't realistically feel out "road feel" on a spin around the block.
Old 09-09-21, 03:01 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Yep, like others have said. I usually don't but I mainly buy vintage bikes. I do fully inspect it and all but mainly I'm concerned with making sure it can be adjusted for my specific fit and then that the price fits the true value.

Grabbed this one last weekend and just gave it a good going over in the seller's driveway and checked the measurements.

Old 09-10-21, 06:48 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Most of my 15ish bikes have been purchased as frames except my newest mtb, which was bought sight unseen by looking at geo charts.
I bought my main road bike used so I did test ride that one. It felt absolutely horrible but I knew I could make it work, so I got it.

It's funny how when a person asks about buying a new bike on BF, they get the advice of test ride, test ride, test ride.
Then a thread like this comes up and everyone says they never test ride.
The point is being made by people who say “I know my size, I know my geometry, I know what I like.” This isn’t people asking “should I buy a Specialized Roubaix or a Trek Emonda for towing my kids to school?”
Old 09-10-21, 06:56 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I bought my Trek Emonda SLR without riding one. None of the local shops had one.

BUT... I had a Trek Madone 4 and it had almost the same geometry as the Emonda.

6 years later and it's still a great bike.
Old 09-10-21, 09:02 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
The point is being made by people who say “I know my size, I know my geometry, I know what I like.” This isn’t people asking “should I buy a Specialized Roubaix or a Trek Emonda for towing my kids to school?”
We all know this.
Old 09-11-21, 12:37 PM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, many times. Most recent (last year) was a new Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 etap Force. Awesome bike. Also bought a Pedal Force RS2 with second generation SRAM Force. If you are due diligent and know your size as others have said, it is relatively easy. My Pedal Force has about 75,000 miles on it and still is running great.
Old 09-11-21, 02:57 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10046 Post(s)
Liked 5,035 Times in 2,148 Posts
Originally Posted by ThinLine
Yes, many times. Most recent (last year) was a new Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 etap Force. Awesome bike. Also bought a Pedal Force RS2 with second generation SRAM Force. If you are due diligent and know your size as others have said, it is relatively easy. My Pedal Force has about 75,000 miles on it and still is running great.

any complaints about the canyon? It’s on my list of possibilities.
Old 09-11-21, 04:04 PM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
None at all, my first intro to electronic shifting and it performs flawlessly. The bike is quick, light and agile. Shifting takes a bit of getting use to since both paddles are used for RD up and down. Good luck.
Old 09-12-21, 08:22 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Many bikes purchased without a test ride.
And only choked once, buying a bike waaaay to big for my wife.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.