Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Training and Weight Loss

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Training and Weight Loss

Old 11-29-21, 07:57 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I’m a bit of a heretic. I think as you get older, diet becomes more and more important relative to exercise for losing or maintaining weight. My resting metabolism is lower at 62 than it was at 22. How many calories I can burn per hour exercising goes down as well. I had to make replacements in my diet, apples, yogurt, whole wheat bread etc vs ice cream, pie, salad dressing, butter, danish rolls, stuff like that. Swim or bike + weights every day isn’t enough. I also think the energy density of readily available food in the US has gone up. Growing older is a triple whammy.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 11-29-21, 01:38 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,848 Posts
Originally Posted by heatnikki
was useful to read, I try to lose weight too. I keep on a healthy eating and try to exercise 3 times per week.
3 times/week probably isn't enough, either for weight loss or for improving fitness. Consider 5.
Old 11-29-21, 05:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
since we sometimes share the un-shareable on the forums ... let me share an observation, which seems like common sense, but still, it was an observation. the less that goes in the less that parts ways w/ one's body. so if you're not overeating as usual, & used to a certain "regularity", don't be surprised when things change a little in that department
No. One of the changes we should make as our metabolism slows down is to add higher bulk items to our diet. More fiber, please! Doing that satisfies both the stomach and the bowel.
Old 11-30-21, 07:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
No. One of the changes we should make as our metabolism slows down is to add higher bulk items to our diet. More fiber, please! Doing that satisfies both the stomach and the bowel.
I'm sure that's good advice but I was referring to my over-eating behaviors. for example, having breakfast at home, then stopping at McDonalds for a 2nd breakfast. or grocery shopping after work & grabbing a sandwich for the ride home & then having dinner w/ the family. basically double-meals. since August I've stopped doing that
Old 12-02-21, 02:25 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
For me, I need to watch what I eat to lose weight, if I'm just training and eating :whatever: then it'll stay basically constant - slightly tick up after I take a break from training before my eating readjusts. Ramping up training doesn't really help much - if I could ride as much as I like every day, then it might, but weekdays I'm mostly restricted to a hour to a hour and something of free time to ride, and I tend to balance it with more eating.

Personally, logging it (via Myfitnesspal so it syncs to Garmin) helps keep track. Sometimes I'll deliberately have a lighter dinner or so to keep it in the deficit territory, or avoid a snack, and it works. The numbers I get via Garmin on daily consumption minus intake closely reflects what's happening on the scale, except when I have some sort of brutal day (where it'll drop off sharply for a day until glycogen reserves replenish).

I try not to overthink it, keeping a few hundred in deficit every day isn't a chore and the numbers are slowly but steadily going down. Hoping to be at around 69kg (about 150 lbs) by spring, should improve my climbing by a bit - hopefully just enough to hang with people better in races when the gradient goes up, without robbing me of any muscle and power.

Last edited by Branko D; 12-02-21 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-02-21, 08:31 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,848 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D

I try not to overthink it, keeping a few hundred in deficit every day isn't a chore and the numbers are slowly but steadily going down. Hoping to be at around 69kg (about 150 lbs) by spring, should improve my climbing by a bit - hopefully just enough to hang with people better in races when the gradient goes up, without robbing me of any muscle and power.
We're in similar places. I'm at just under 70 kg and hoping to get to 67 kg by spring. In general, compared to my riding peers, I have the advantage when the road turns up. They have more power on the flats, but I distance them on the climbs. Losing a few kg will help with that.

I don't know where that threshold is where I would become so thin as to lose muscle and power, but I don't think I'm close. I haven't done a % body fat calculation, but I still have some soft tissue in my abdomen (no six pack here), so I'm confident that losing a few kilos would be good.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 12-06-21, 12:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
For me, I need to watch what I eat to lose weight, if I'm just training and eating :whatever: then it'll stay basically constant - slightly tick up after I take a break from training before my eating readjusts. Ramping up training doesn't really help much - if I could ride as much as I like every day, then it might, but weekdays I'm mostly restricted to a hour to a hour and something of free time to ride, and I tend to balance it with more eating.

Personally, logging it (via Myfitnesspal so it syncs to Garmin) helps keep track. Sometimes I'll deliberately have a lighter dinner or so to keep it in the deficit territory, or avoid a snack, and it works. The numbers I get via Garmin on daily consumption minus intake closely reflects what's happening on the scale, except when I have some sort of brutal day (where it'll drop off sharply for a day until glycogen reserves replenish).

That, combined with increased riding, is how I managed to lose 30# last year. Once I got down to 200#, I stopped logging food and exercise and stayed around there, but the arrival of early sunsets, cold weather, and the Food Holidays makes it tough. I'll probably have to start logging again. Sadly, it seems like MyFitnessPal buggered my account, so I'll have to start over and repopulate the 'Frequent Foods'. Ah, well. First World problems and all that.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-06-21, 05:05 PM
juankaruna

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I´m going to ask my nutritionist.
Old 12-17-21, 10:01 AM
phobucket

Bikes: Bianchi Eros

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have treated my weight loss plan as a separate thing from my cycling plan. I'm using Noom and am about 16lbs down so far. The weight loss halted for a bit around Thanksgiving, but that was kind of planned as I was on a week-long vacation, and I was able to get it going (dropping) again in the last 2 weeks. As my miles and rides start to build up, I do wonder at what point I'll need to consider the extra calorie expenditure of cycling as part of my nutritional plan. I don't think I'm there yet, but I'm a bit concerned that I will overcompensate and allow my fork too much freedom because, "hey, I rode 30 miles today..."
Old 12-18-21, 04:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by phobucket
<snip> I don't think I'm there yet, but I'm a bit concerned that I will overcompensate and allow my fork too much freedom because, "hey, I rode 30 miles today..."
I weigh148 lbs. and figure I burn 20-25 calories per mile. I plan on eating half that much on the bike and no additional calories off the bike. It's important to eat those on-bike calories, mostly carbs. I might need a snack at some point during the day, but I try to keep it light. A lot of the time, I find a tall glass of water is an excellent snack.
Old 12-19-21, 03:26 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I budget training (actually Garmin does a good job), myself. However it is easy to overestimate if doing it by yourself.
​​​​​​
With a powermeter I have a pretty accurate gauge of actual expenditure on the bike. A typical training ride during the weekdays is only 700-800 kcal, depending how long it is - hill repeats and endurance rides often amount to similar expenditure because of coasting downhill and warmup and cool down. A run is typically in the same ballpark.
​​​​​
​​​​
The big expeditures are the weekend long rides (especially if I feel like doing it at tempo). Four hours at 200W amount to 2880 kcal. Then I get invited to some social thing (it's the weekend, after all) with wine and food and end up eating and drinking all of it 😁

It’s in French but it is easy enough to understand.

Well, it's still going down slowly.
​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 12-19-21 at 03:29 PM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 12-19-21, 05:41 PM
phobucket

Bikes: Bianchi Eros

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
^^^ ^^^

I'm 174 lbs (down from 191). Targeting 160 by March, so I better keep outrunning le fromage a little while longer.

Last edited by phobucket; 12-19-21 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-20-21, 10:44 AM
ckelly_22

Bikes: Giant Contend AR 4, Specialized Crossroads 2.0, Quintana Roo Kilo

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
CFB, in my experience without lots of serious exercise I will gain weight UNLESS I am periodically hungry. Once I get my daily calorie burn up into the 1000+ calorie range, I can pretty much avoid that and will lose weight mostly by just avoiding binge events.

dave
i am in the same boat as you, as long as i am on a heavy exercise regimen-swim, bike, run- i can lose or maintain weight, when this stops i gain it rapidly. on my rest days i will gain over a pound easily. my diet sucks so i pretty much train hard to make up for it, i don't mind the training though and i would probably be doing it anyway.
Old 12-20-21, 12:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
fwiw - the dry sauna, at my gym, is better than a hair dryer, after my shower. just sayin'