Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Suspension Posts or Spring Seats - which one will be better for me?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Suspension Posts or Spring Seats - which one will be better for me?

Old 01-20-22, 01:00 AM
DevidSAM365

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Suspension Posts or Spring Seats - which one will be better for me?

Hi, I am sam 5.7'' tall and 185 pounds. I am riding Magicycle E-bike with 4.26'' tire and front suspension. The bike is good enough but I'm trying to find out more comfortable riding.
Looking for experts opinions, please guide.......

Thanks
Old 01-20-22, 01:07 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
I've been pretty satisfied with a short travel Thudbuster (sold by Cane Creek, now) for about 15 years. Originally on a hardtail MTB, now on a hardtail Haibike. It also comes in a longer travel version. BTW, I have a Kinekt Body Float that I don't like, but you'll find others with exactly the opposite view. Also, Suntour has one that is less expensive and gets good reviews, but I've never seen or tried one.

Last edited by 2old; 01-20-22 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-20-22, 08:14 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
When it comes to comfort, no one else has the same butt as you, what's comfortable for one may not be the same for another, just try few different shapes of saddles maybe that would allow you to find comfort.
Have you tried lowering the tire pressure? Getting off the saddle and pedal the bike standing up for few pedal strokes every 20-30 minutes?
Padded bike shorts? or saddle with different shapes & relief/supporting areas?
Depending how long (hours) you spend in the saddle per ride, bike shorts can offer padding & support for your leg muscles during the ride.
Nowadays suspension seapost options are plenty to choose from, less expensive ones (<$50) can offer decent comfort, simple in design and very in weight.
Personally, if I'm riding casually on paved or smooth trails, and my rides do not exceed 2 hours of saddle time and mostly seated in the saddle,
there is not much need for performance seatpost that cost $150-200.
More saddle time also allow a rider to build up their stamina & tolerance for saddle comfort.
If your discomfort is occurring after your rides are getting longer, that could be an indication that you are ready to graduate to a different saddle.
Many different options to find more comfort on rides, just gotta experiment and find what works for you.
Spending money on new equipment may not be necessary, sometime may not even provide more comfort.
Old 01-20-22, 10:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Kinekt seatpost for sure.

"suspension" posts are just pogo sticks and pogoing is not good for your knees or any part of your leg, the idea should be to isolate you from the bumps but keep you in a similar position so you aren't doing harm. Kinekt I think does the best job of that but Cane Creek Thudbuster is an option.

However with tires that wide you might also experiment with tire pressure. I find super wide stuff like that to be all but useless except maybe one or two days a year where I live as we barely see much snow and when we do I probably don't really want to ride in it. Sand riding would be cool but there isn't much around me to make it worth my while. However if that is what I had I would run super low pressure (within reason and limits) and have a lot of extra comfort there but since the thing is already a tank adding a Kinekt is not really going to harm anything and certainly will add good comfort.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-21-22, 09:43 AM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
I've tried all the popular comfort seats and ended up most comfortable with the Suntour suspension seat post and my stock RAD saddle!

Likes For Sempervee:
Old 01-21-22, 10:15 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
That should clarify it for you (not), one individual each for Suntour, one for Kinekt and one for Thudbuster.
Old 01-22-22, 12:17 PM
GWG

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Just to throw in my two bits....I ride an M2S E-bike Ultra HT with 4 and 1/2 inch tires and I run 12 pounds air pressure. I went with the addition of the Crane Creek Thud Buster and I could not be more pleased. The Thud Buster does round out the harsh bumps. I ride mostly 2 track dirt roads. Before the days of the E-bikes, I rode traditional MTB and tried numerous seats without much ride improvement.

Happy Trail Rider here in Stanley, Idaho
Riding on snow this time of year.

GARY
Old 01-22-22, 02:40 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
I'll say this. I didn't know tires came bigger than 4". If that isn't enough all by itself, there isn't a suspension post or comfort saddle made that will help! It isn't that suspension posts are "pogo sticks" and they aren't "bad for knees". They are bad for bio-mechanical efficiency. IOW they waste your energy that would be better served going into your drivetrain. PLENTY of e-assist riders are fine with 'plus size' tires in the 2" to 2.4" range @ ~40psi. Absolutely 3" to 4" tires @ ~20psi, with e-assist, ought to do the trick. If it can't the rider needs to find out why that is. BTW at their present level of sophistication the best way to use a suspension post and/or suspension forks, rear suspension, etc. is just short of complete lockout. Between lockout and a perceptible <1" amount of 'suspension travel' is a very narrow pre-load zone that produces highly increased comfort that will have minimal negative impact on performance. If you can feel the suspension working then you have too little pre-load.
Old 01-28-22, 02:02 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by DevidSAM365
Hi, I am sam 5.7'' tall and 185 pounds. I am riding Magicycle E-bike with 4.26'' tire and front suspension. The bike is good enough but I'm trying to find out more comfortable riding.
Looking for experts opinions, please guide.......

Thanks
For answers addressing your discomfort it would help knowing what precisely is the uncomfortable issue which you haven’t specified. It could be a bike issue or a posture/conditioning issue. How are your feet located on the pedals, can you pedal the bike comfortably and is the seat at a good height for pedaling vs sitting on the bike. Have you ever been comfortable on a bike, etc.
Likes For LeeG: