Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Work stand?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Work stand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-22, 06:06 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Work stand?

My wife rides a Ride-1-Up 700 ST. She loves it, makes her happy, which in turn makes me happy. It's big and heavy about 65 lbs. I've been wonder how I'll support it when it's time for maintenance. My bike stands are more suited to much lighter bikes. Today she had a flat, on the rear tire. What a PIA to change the tube, between the weight of the bike, and the motor in the wheel, and (what I would consider a design flaw) the interference of the derailleur and the axel, and the flats on the axel having to slot into the dropouts, and the motor wiring, it was the most difficult flat to fix I ever had.
I help it up with some straps over a garage rafter, not ideal because it swings around.

Any thoughts on a work stand, or other method to hold the bike for repairs and maintenance?

Enjoy the ride!
Old 05-12-22, 06:18 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
I use a Park Tool PCS-10.2 but I also drilled a hole though the clamp on bottom as it can slide and collapse at random times. Rear hub motor bikes are no pleasure to change a tire on.
Old 05-12-22, 10:18 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Use a pulley system to raise it, then find a way to anchor it on the bottom, this will reduce swinging
Old 05-13-22, 07:58 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
As a bicycle mechanic for decades, I try to avoid putting a heavy ebike onto a workstand.
Easy enough to just flip the ebike upside down and have it rests on the saddle & handlebar to remove the rear hub-motor wheel if need to.
Don't need to pull the rear hub motor/wheel completely off the bike to replace an inner tube, just have the rear wheel rest on the chainstays while the ebike is upside down.
Old 05-13-22, 09:52 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 589 Posts
My ebike is 47lbs (at least - Qualisports Dolphin), so I'll tough it out and flip it over when I get a flat. Otherwise, too heavy for me to risk using a bike stand to work on it.
Old 05-13-22, 10:03 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
As above, even though I have an excellent (IMO) Park stand, I invert the bike to install a tire (I've never had a flat with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires which I recommend).
Likes For 2old:
Old 05-13-22, 12:46 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
For minor work like chain maintenance, cleaning, adjustments, etc. I set the rear wheel in the bike trainer/exercise stand that I use inside in winter. If I am adjusting the front brakes it is easy to just lift the front enough to spin the wheel to check clearance. I've tried suspending the bike but it is quicker and more stable to just set it in the stand.

But I have inverted the bike to change tires and the rear cassette like cat0020 indicated. I support the bar with a couple of pieces of 2x4 to keep it from resting on the ebike display and headlight.
Old 05-15-22, 09:29 AM
northtexas

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a set of these portable handlebar jacks that I can carry with me on my rides and it will protect my bike computer when used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Likes For northtexas:
Old 05-16-22, 09:54 PM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by northtexas
I bought a set of these portable handlebar jacks that I can carry with me on my rides and it will protect my bike computer when used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use these too with my mid-drive and they work
Old 06-02-22, 06:00 PM
Elderbear

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
handlebar jacks

Likewise, these work well!
Old 06-11-22, 05:42 AM
lhill 

Bikes: ‘90ish Peugeot Triathlon and Specialized Alibi Hybrid

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

🤪
Old 06-25-22, 05:52 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Park Tools makes bike stands that can support the weight of a heavy e-bike and the legs fold up to make it easy to store them when not in use. I paid $180 for their PCS-9.2 home mechanic bike repair stand and it was OK with a 70 lb e-bike but barely. I ended up selling the two 70 lb e-bikes and buying two Class II bikes that weigh 27 lbs and are a lot easier to manage.
Old 06-25-22, 06:20 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Park Tools makes bike stands that can support the weight of a heavy e-bike and the legs fold up to make it easy to store them when not in use. I paid $180 for their PCS-9.2 home mechanic bike repair stand and it was OK with a 70 lb e-bike but barely. I ended up selling the two 70 lb e-bikes and buying two Class II bikes that weigh 27 lbs and are a lot easier to manage.
I found for safety a pin right above the clamp on the shaft will keep the clamp from sliding and the stand folding up.
Old 06-26-22, 09:46 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
My Bikehand stand can handle my 45-lbs-sans-battery e-bike, fairly steadily, though I do check all its joints before I load that weight on it. I've mostly only used it to lube my e-bike each spring. But your bike is significantly heavier, so I couldn't say. At 74, HOWEVER, I value my REI membership, AND they fix flats for free -regardless of your age . Of course, that shop is 10 minutes from me: If there is one in middle NJ, you might consider that, Last year, they replaced 2 tires and installed 2 tubes (I had to convert to tubes to get the tires) that I brought in, and put on a new chain, all for the price of the purchased chain. (NB: I don't know how each store's prices and policies may vary. I've used a shop in California that does vary some.)

Last edited by BiciMan; 06-27-22 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-26-22, 10:02 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Use a pulley system to raise it...
Definitely the way to go. Especially with an E-Bike or a heavy Mountain Bike. Take your time setting it up. Put bracing support overhead. You may have to replace the pins on the pullys. Change out the rope for a higher quality oil resistant type. Get rid of the metal claws that will tear up your seat and handle bars and go to straps. Be sure to position the hangers close to your work area and tools. Your going ta love it...

RAD Sportz Bicycle Hoist 20 USD
Old 06-30-22, 08:29 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Thumbs up

Advertised weight limit of my Parktool PCS 10.2 is 80 lbs. My E-bike is 55 libs sans battery. I might try it with the bike stand, otherwise the pulley system looks like a good idea to me especially if you don't already have a bike stand.

Originally Posted by zandoval
Definitely the way to go. Especially with an E-Bike or a heavy Mountain Bike. Take your time setting it up. Put bracing support overhead. You may have to replace the pins on the pullys. Change out the rope for a higher quality oil resistant type. Get rid of the metal claws that will tear up your seat and handle bars and go to straps. Be sure to position the hangers close to your work area and tools. Your going ta love it...

RAD Sportz Bicycle Hoist 20 USD
Likes For timdow:
Old 06-30-22, 01:03 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
With heavier e-bikes one needs to add special equipment if you want to do it yourself. I added more tools for our bikes that I did not need with my non electric road bikes. I addedd the Park Tools stand as the easier it is to work on the bikes them more inclined I am to do work sooner instead of waiting until I can leave the bike at a local bike shop.

I also need more room for our 7 bikes (9 at the start of year but sold one and gave the other to the fellow who made the original custom frame) and so erected a 8x10 shed near the house on a concrete slab. Part of the cost of ownership for us.

The heavy bikes also required a heavy and very expensive 1Up platform style receiver mounted bike rack which with our selling the two 70lb bikes is now overkill for our other bikes.