Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Converting regular shoes to clipless???

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 09:25 PM
Butterthebean
1 bike 2 many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone every do this....convert your own tennis/hiking/walking shoes into cycling spd clipless shoes? Just wondering if it can be done since I have a heck of a time finding cycling shoes I really like...what with my mega sized feet and all.
Old 02-21-08, 09:45 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I dont think the regular shoe will have enough material in the sole to allow you to keep the cleat below the walking surface, and maintain its structural integrity.
Old 02-21-08, 10:24 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Butterthebean
Anyone every do this....convert your own tennis/hiking/walking shoes into cycling spd clipless shoes? Just wondering if it can be done since I have a heck of a time finding cycling shoes I really like...what with my mega sized feet and all.
Don't know your specs, but what you need are 'touring' shoes. They're usually the only ones you can walk around in and not have the cleat hit the floor. I found a pair of Cannondales a few years ago and coupled w/'thin' spd cleats I've got the clearance I need for doing on/off the bike type errands. Any of the big name cycling gear companies, Lake, Specialized, Shimano, Diadora, Northwave, etc. all make a touring shoe that should work.

Taking a regular pair of 'sport' shoes and carving slots in the soles for the cleats?...I dunno...it could be done, I suppose. Maybe, go to an 'old school' shoemaker w/your idea and see if it's possible. Those guys are really good at what they do...you may create a 'niche' market product.
Old 02-21-08, 11:33 PM
3bikes
VeloFellow

Bikes: Commuter(Specialized Globe 6,IG8), Mountain (Specialized FSR), Road (Felt F55-2006)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get some good SPD compatable shoes.....

Regular shoes are regular shoes... Bike shoes are bike shoes.... I recently purchased a pair of Specialized Sonoma bike shoes that use SPD cleats recessed a bit so you can walk around on comfortably (on carpet) The cleat still hits concrete and tile floor just a little bit. I tried using my new bike shoes one full day at work and gave up. They are great for short walks, but not all day.

Mega feet? I have size 14 feet, which translate to size 47/48/49 depending on shoe manufacturer. Specialized has a roomy 48, Shimano generally is tight and would require my purchasing a size 49, but good luck finding a 49. I would purchase from a real store rather than on-line.

There are casual bike shoes that don't have the look of mountain or road shoes. The section to attach a cleat is usually behind a rubber oval that needs to be removed.

Put cleats into regular shoes... I don't think it's a good idea. My Sonoma shoes ran only 73 bucks, we're not talking the high prices associated with road racing shoes. Look around the web sites first and see what catches your eye and falls within your price range.
Old 02-22-08, 12:33 AM
gbcb
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've thought quite a bit about this, but, as I see it, the problem is that regular shoes aren't rigid enough. You'd probably end up destroying the shoe with repeated clipping and unclipping. I have a pair of basic Shimano MTB shoes that I tried wearing around all over the place, but they're just not designed for lots of walking.
Old 02-22-08, 07:16 AM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think anyone does. You'd probably have to:

1. Cut out a very hard piece of material in the precise shape of the shoe insole.
2. Cut out enough of the shoe, at the ball of the foot, for the clip.
3. Remove the shoe insole.
4. Place in your new insole.
5. Somehow drill or cutout holes in the new insole for the screws.
6. Replace the old insole.
7. The clip will probably stick out still.

The material is probably the hardest part. Maybe plywood? Probably wouldn't work nearly as well as the hard plastics/carbon fiber used in cycling shoes.

If you have any luck with it, tell me. I'd love to turn a $20 pair of target sneakers into spd shoes instead of spending $100.
Old 02-22-08, 07:56 AM
Butterthebean
1 bike 2 many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like it's not a good idea. Just so you know...I wear a 15 wide shoe normally. That equates to a 50 in cycling shoes. I have a pair of the Lake MX101's. I don't like them because I feel like I can't get the cleat far enough back. On a long ride, my toes end up getting numb. Normally, I ride with my Shimano SPD sandals. They're only 48's, but since they're sandals, I can get away with a smaller shoe. But there is not enough extra room in there for thick warm socks for winter riding...so I end up going with platform pedals and hiking shoes just to keep my feet warm.

I guess I'll keep to that plan, since there aren't alot of other cycling shoes out there for me....and I'm certainly to Fred-like to wear a pair of Sidi's....even though I know they make some big shoes. I think they would clash with my camo shorts.
Old 02-22-08, 10:02 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Using tennis/hiking/walking shoes with your bike is easy but not compatible with SPD pedals. Here is what you need so you can use almost any shoe while riding your bike.

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...20Pedal%20Sale

and these which attach to the pedals.

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...20Pedal%20Sale

I've tried clipless shoes and pedals. I never did like them or found any significant improvement over using slipless shoes and pedals.

Last edited by n4zou; 02-22-08 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-22-08, 10:38 AM
lukewall

Bikes: 2000 Raleigh M50. 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour. 2008 Cannondale Synapse 6.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
adidas el moro. clipless shoe that looks like a regular sneaker. i use these to commute to work and they're great. no need to have an extra set of shoes.
Old 02-22-08, 12:11 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not too long ago I went from clipless/toe clips/platforms on various bikes to a pair of Dimension pedals with Power Grips. I don't think I've ever been happier with a cycling accessory than with the Power Grips. All my old pedals got thrown in a box, and these are currently getting swapped from bike to bike. They're great for the kind of riding I do. I should have gone with this system a long time ago.
Old 02-22-08, 12:38 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'd definitely advise against trying to convert a pair of shoes. If you're going clipless for high efficiency, you really need the stiff sole of a proper cycling shoe. Yeah, most of them look disco-themed, but they're a whole different beast from a pair of modified tennis shoes. Plus, tracking down cycling shoes in your size sounds like a lot less hassle than converting other shoes. If you're not particular about the super-duper power transfer, regular shoes with clips or powergrips sound like a better solution. No need to suffer walking around on stiff soles if you don't feel you need them on the ride.
Old 02-22-08, 01:18 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Clipless pedals are 'orrible anyway. Clips and straps. I keep meaning to try the Powergrips though - maybe my hot-rod Raleigh 20 will be the bike for that....
Old 02-22-08, 02:00 PM
JusticeZero
Rider

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=381550

I asked a similar (not the same) question.
Old 04-08-08, 08:42 AM
Jufimbo
Junior's Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, I hear ya. I just bought a pair of cheapo Shimano MTB shoes and not only are they really uncomfortable, they look flat-out dumb. But they were the only shoes I could find that I could even remotely afford in a size 50. I tried cannondale's Roam, but they only go up to 48 and I couldn't even squeeze my foot in. I have a pair of skechers that I don't wear anymore that are broken in, fit nicely...would love to convert them.
Old 11-23-08, 03:43 PM
PimpinD

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are looking for some SPD compatible cleat shoes that look like skate shoes ... check out the Sixsixone Filters

great value for the money
Old 11-23-08, 03:45 PM
steveknight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
look at the sandals they come in large sizes work with my wide feet and are flexible about socks and such. they are easy to walk in too. I use them year around and just wear different socks as needed.
Old 11-23-08, 04:50 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't tried clipless, but I find toe clips to be a huge advantage over platforms.

(unlike some people who assert that toe clips don't do much, I find that 1) they keep my feet on the pedals, so I can spin/sprint faster 2) they really help on big hills, where every ounce of energy counts and 3) they really help on long stretches, to alternate the muscles you use)

However, I can't think of a way of rigging regular shoes to use on a clipless system that probably wouldn't reduce the efficiency of clipless to that of toe clips/straps. Go with toe clips.
Old 11-23-08, 05:41 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen someone put a SPD-style in their Birkenstocks. Besides Birks being terrible cycling shoes, i thought it was neat. They said that birkenstocks had a stiff enough sole to make the cleat structually sound enough to work...

I wouldn't go cutting up a $100 pair of sandals though.
Old 11-23-08, 08:15 PM
DoB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeytoun
(unlike some people who assert that toe clips don't do much, I find that 1) they keep my feet on the pedals, so I can spin/sprint faster 2) they really help on big hills, where every ounce of energy counts and 3) they really help on long stretches, to alternate the muscles you use)

Don't do much? I'm with you.

I run clips with huge straps in the winter over my boots. Without clips my feet slide off the pedals all the time and it is hard to ride in the snow.
Old 11-24-08, 06:41 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my feet slide off the pedals all the time
Same thing happens with leather-soled wingtips
Old 11-24-08, 06:56 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't pull much on the upstroke, you might be able to fashion something that would sort of work, but, isn't that pretty much the whole point of being clipped/strapped in.

Find a set of cleated shoes for those boats, I would recommend my specialized tahoes. You can walk all day in these mtb shoes and they work just fine on my roadie commute. If you can't find anything acceptable, go with the clips.
Old 11-24-08, 07:11 PM
Tabor

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wondering if it can be done since I have a heck of a time finding cycling shoes I really like...what with my mega sized feet and all.
Have you tried these Specialized Comp MTB Shoes? They come in sizes up to 14.5 and they have a much stiffer sole than any walking shoe you are going to find.
Old 11-24-08, 07:22 PM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, Yes, but not worth the effort IMO...

There are numerous SPD type cycling shoes that are always on sale that serve this purpose.

https://tinyurl.com/62kvu8
Old 11-24-08, 07:25 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
it can be done, i've seen high heels with an SPD cleat on them!

now if i can just find that pic..

my race videos
Old 11-25-08, 12:23 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
success

I've done it successfully, I have a pair of clipless converse now. Buy yourself one of these

Those plates are the key. Moding the shoe is relatively easy. Stiffen the sole with 3/8 inch steel plate, the full length of the shoe if you can. Cut it into an insole shape as close as you can, although if it's not perfect, it will will work. Pull out the insole, and about 3/8' of the padding underneath. Slip in the plate with a layer of your favorite adhesive on the underside.

The real problem is I have not found a way to allow for easy (or any) adjustment, so get your cleat placement right the first time. Go for a long ride and the pedals will leave a nice mark so you know where to mount the cleat.

Notice how the plate has two sets of holes? I used one to mount the plate to the shoe, and the second to hold the cleat in place.

Once you have the cleat plate mounted, put a light coat of rubber cement on the insole and place them in.

They worked pretty darn well if I do say so myself, but it took a bit of playing around to get it right. For one, while aluminum is lighter, it doesn't like being flexed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.