Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM Red group with Shimano Cassette?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-17-11, 01:17 PM
aznfunkyflip

Bikes: 2004 Felt F35R // 2010 Scott Addict RC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just finished building my new bike and I'm using full Red except the cassette. I'm currently using a used DA7800 cassette that my buddy gave me. Turns out the 4 large cogs are worn out because it's not grabbing when I use it. I decided to buy an ultegra 6700 to replace it and had my mechanic replace it. He then told me that it's not shifting to the largest cog because the gear ratio of SRAM and Shimano is a bit different. Ive read on the forum that people uses the same setup with no problem. He suggested me that I better get the SRAM cassette and just return the ultegra cassette to avoid the trouble.

My setup is 53/39 and 12-25 with brand new KMC chain. When he is shifting it on 53 and 25, thats when it's skipping and just goes back to 23. I'm thinking could it be because of the cross chain? Or I should be able to use all the gear regardless of the setup?

My mechanic didnt charged me after doing all of this btw Would like to hear some input.
Old 08-17-11, 01:27 PM
kwakster928

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have shimano dura ace 12-25 with the red compact. Installed on two of my bikes. No problems for me.
Old 08-17-11, 01:28 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
You should be able to use the all the gears and cross chaining should never even be an issue. Have him check the gap between the upper pulley and the largest cog (no cross chaining for this calibration), it should be 6mm. Adjust the "B" screw on the RD to the right spec. Most mechanics that are used to Shimano standards set the gap at "just enough" for the chain to clear the largest cog and the upper jockey wheel, which is great if you are using a Shimano RD (I still do this on my Shimano equipped bikes, may have changed). Check also that the jockey wheels and each cog is aligning properly with each gear change.
Old 08-17-11, 02:48 PM
GDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ agree with the prior post.... definitely sounds like your rear derailleur limit needs adjustment.
Old 08-17-11, 03:07 PM
yak
Zircon Encrusted Tweezer

Bikes: Pivot Switchblade, SantaCruz Tallboy, SantaCruz Solo, Specialized Fatboy, Trek ProjectOne Madone, Fuji Altamira CX 1.1, Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run a 50/34 with a 105 11-25, KMC chain, no problems (or noise) cross-chaining
Old 08-17-11, 08:14 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I have an Ultegra 12-23 on an otherwise Rival bike with a 39/53 crank and it shifts fine to the 23-53 if I want it to. Any chance that you have a really small frame? I could see a short chain stay making tuning more difficult but I don't know that it would make it impossible.
Old 08-17-11, 08:48 PM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Your mechanic is wrong, Shimano and Sram cassettes have the same spacing and work interchangeably.
Old 08-17-11, 09:45 PM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Bikes: Red Huffy, CAAD10 Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a question for someone who knows about this stuff.

I thought that SRAM had 1:1 pull, such that each shift of the lever moves the cable the same distance. And this same distance is accounted for by the cog spacing (and how far the derailleur moves each time). And I thought that Shimano had a different pull distance for each gear shift, and thus different spacing. Is this incorrect?
Old 08-17-11, 09:48 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Runner 1

I thought that SRAM had 1:1 pull, such that each shift of the lever moves the cable the same distance. And this same distance is accounted for by the cog spacing (and how far the derailleur moves each time). And I thought that Shimano had a different pull distance for each gear shift, and thus different spacing. Is this incorrect?
It is accounted for with the rear derailleur. So with sram shifters you must use a sram RD and shimano shifters must have a shimano RD. But you can still mix and match with the cassettes between the two.
Old 08-17-11, 10:09 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Runner 1

Difference is pull ratio and "throw". Pull ratio is set by the shifter. Throw is determined by the derail. SRAM is the 1:1. Fact is though that the distance between gears on the actual cassette is the same in both systems.....
'
'so ...you can use a shimano or SRAm cassette and have no problems. You just "can't" use a Shimano shifter with a SRAM Derail and visa-versa.

Old 08-17-11, 10:35 PM
scirocco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GDA
^ agree with the prior post.... definitely sounds like your rear derailleur limit needs adjustment.
Sounds like the OP's mechanic needs adjustment - if he's really that confused about the difference between pull ratio and cog spacing...
Old 08-17-11, 10:54 PM
BayAreaUser

Bikes: Caad 9.5, Madone 6 series, Speed Concept 7 series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm currently running all sram on my tt bike with a duraace 7800 cassette. So far so good =)
Old 08-17-11, 11:03 PM
AlexZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, you mentioned all SRAM Red.......I have SRAM Red on my Focus and Force of my Tarmac. The only component that is pure crap is the Red FD ! I have replaced it with a Force which works great and have contacted SRAM who said they will replace the Red FD with another Red but with a steel cage.
On the Tarmac I also have the Red cassette 11-25 which works great, faultlessly but since it's machined from a solid block (extremely light and expensive!) it also rings like a bell! In the middle cogs it produces a ringing metal sound that I found really annoying for a while... Now I am used to it.
But to answer your initial question, any 10 speed cassette will work! Your mechanic is not much of one......
Old 08-17-11, 11:36 PM
aznfunkyflip

Bikes: 2004 Felt F35R // 2010 Scott Addict RC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys for the inputs. I've decided to take my bike to my other mechanic and had him look at it. Took him less than 5 mins and everything works flawlessly and didn't even bother to charge me. I knew I've read everywhere that cassettes are interchangeable, that's why I was kinda questioning his statement. I'm now using ultegra 6700 cassette

As for the FD, I'm stil using Red and have no problem with the shifting. I'm using braze-on if that would matter somehow.
Old 08-18-11, 08:00 AM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I run dura ace cassette with all SRAM components....your mechanic needs to learn to adjust derailleurs properly.
Old 08-18-11, 08:56 AM
fosmith
my brain hurts!

Bikes: Numerous bicycles.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your "mechanic" told you that, he's not a mechanic in my book. That kind of stuff should be common knowledge. I'd go somewhere where they knew what the f they were talking about.