Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Mt. Greylock Century

Old 01-02-12, 02:55 PM
IchbinJay

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Mt. Greylock Century

I know there was a thread on here about this ride, but I'm toying with the idea. It would be my first time. Any suggestions for training and equipment?
Old 01-10-12, 03:03 PM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just checked out the ride, it sounds cool, I've done a simple loop of starting at the visitor's center and riding up over greylock, down the north side and then back to my car using rt 7 for a 36ish mile ride. The southern climb to greylock is not too steep, you actually go up and over a hill before the real climb begins and it's fairly gradual, I did it fine with a 2x10 gearing (though with a 32 tooth rear cassette on a MTB der.) on my Salsa Vaya, but I also did with one rear pannier with some light gear in it.

So, as far as training goes, keep riding them hills, hard to beat actual elevation gain, you can find the actual profile of Greylock online so you can almost gauge yourself if you're not local on a hill of similar profile...

Jay
Old 01-11-12, 06:41 PM
Pistard

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love watching them crazy cliff diving parasailer up there...
Old 01-12-12, 09:00 AM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Pistard, check out the google satellite image of the summit, if it's still there, you can see a whole bunch of paragliders lined up at the launch site and there is one that is out flying... check it out!

Jay
Old 01-30-12, 09:35 AM
BikeNewEngland

Bikes: Road, mountain, hybrids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you live in the north Berkshires, start out training with the Jiminy Peak loop, Petersburg Pass climb or head up to Bennington and back on Rt. 8. The Mount Greylock climb from the Lanesboro side is 10 miles and averages about 5.5% grade. The tougher ascent is from North Adams, with a steep ascent and lots of switchbacks. You can view these rides at https://www.bikenewengland.com/north_berkshire.html
Old 01-31-12, 09:15 AM
Jay H
One less car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the ride from the south, though I started at the visitor's center in my Salsa Vaya with a compact double and a standard 11-32 MTB cassette on the back. I had a rear rack with 1 pannier to carry some lightweight rain gear and some food, running heavy schwalbe Marathon tires. Did not find the southern climb too bad, it actually goes up and down a small hill before you get to the real climb after the Sperry Road campground. And it's only steep in a few spots as you get towards the top of the road and connects with the road that goes towards North Adams. In fact, the road going up to the visitor's center is about as hard as the top part... I rode down the north side and then back along rt 7 to get back to my car at the visitor's center. You might consider parking in lanesborough and riding it from there if you want to get more of a feel of the complete climb.

Jay
Old 01-31-12, 02:10 PM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might have to go out this way, and do some of the hill/mountains out in western Ma. It should, and will help me get to where I hope to be, IF I get into the field for Mt. Washington. If not, I practice all year, do soe of the others, and then hit it in 2013.
Old 05-14-12, 04:12 PM
BigDaddyPete

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone attempted the Mt. on a single speed? I'm thinking that might be my new training goal.
Old 05-16-12, 09:14 AM
Salmosebago

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Scott R1, Scott Spark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddyPete
Anyone attempted the Mt. on a single speed? I'm thinking that might be my new training goal.
No single speed but big ringed/cross chained it from the welcome ctr. side a couple weeks ago; 53/25 at steepest points. From the very bottom the climb took me (not a great climber) about an hour. Road was still closed to autos so the car free rip back down was fantastic Next I tackle the steeper side....
Old 05-16-12, 09:32 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've done the Mt. Greylock century twice. I just used compact gearing (34x25). As said above, the route climbs Greylock via the easy side and descends the steep side. I did the ride before they repaved the road; that descent off of Greylock used to be pretty scary as the road was in horrible condition.

The worst climb of the Greylock century is the third climb of the ride. First is Greylock, the second is climbing out of North Adams on Rt. 2 heading east, the third is some back road that you turn onto off of Rt. 2 that feels nothing short of vertical. And then you're half-way!
Old 05-16-12, 09:36 AM
yak
Zircon Encrusted Tweezer

Bikes: Pivot Switchblade, SantaCruz Tallboy, SantaCruz Solo, Specialized Fatboy, Trek ProjectOne Madone, Fuji Altamira CX 1.1, Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done it a few times as part of the MS century (also on a compact). We've always attacked it from the North side, Luce-Pattison-Notch Rd. If you want a real ball-busting climb, try starting from North Adams up Reservoir Rd. I think the TT race uses that route.

I prefer descending the South side as you can let it rip after the hairpin up top, vs the North side where you need to brake heavily for the two hairpins. I had to stop at the bottom to let my rims cool down.

Either way it's a blast!
Old 05-16-12, 12:41 PM
Jay H
One less car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rt 2 out of North Adams going east brings you up the Mohawk Trail which was washed out and closed for quite some time after Hurricanes Irene and Lee caused a landslide. It has since been reopened..!!

Jay
Old 05-21-12, 04:55 AM
BikeNewEngland

Bikes: Road, mountain, hybrids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddyPete
Don't blow out your knees --it's hard enough with a triple chainring.
Old 05-21-12, 03:37 PM
IchbinJay

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I decided to bail out due to a running injury earlier this year. I'm also gearing up for the MS150 down the Cape. Which MS rides goes through Greylock?