Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Campy components

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-22, 01:57 PM
jlat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hello people and corn shuckers: Maybe you're too young for the Major. He was on the tube. Did you look for him? It's pretty stupid and I know youz all can't be from the land of Mass holes
IBBY

Last edited by jlat; 07-17-22 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 02:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked 5,410 Times in 2,748 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn;22576981[color=#999999
]Campagnolo, a pioneer in engineering excellence that ruled the world until about 1967, since that time CAMPY has been [/color]second rate, and a distant second rate to everything Maeda SUNTOUR and SHIMANO.

In just a few years in the Seventies, SHIMANO & SUNTOUR obliterated Campagnolo as the
once stellarhigh line bike marques came to the quick realization that continuing to employ the vastly inferior Campagnolo junkwas doing nothing to continue to help marketing those once stellar bike marques as being worthy of high praise.

Most of the
prestige European marques hung on too long with Campagnolo, (and Simplex & Huret too..) after it was very clear that SHIMANO & SUNTOUR had superior engineering and durability as well as flawless operational reliability. Heck, back in 1971, most such bike owners were certainly replacing their original equipment Campagnolo rear derailleur for a SUNTOUR or SHIMANO unit. The Japanese quality was that much better, and riders ofprestige European bicycles certainly realized that fact by 1971 and 1972, even though the European marques still specified the vastly inferior Campagnolo components for some time beyond 1972.
By 1977 though nearly everybody on the planet had adopted the
far superior Japanese engineering and had eliminated such outdated second rate turds from Campagnolo, Simplex, and Huret. Campagnolo never again came close to Suntour or Shimano after 1968. None of the other Europeans did either!
Yes you can say that Shimano and Maeda SUNTOUR both copied & almost stole their basic designs from the best comingling of then state of the art European designs, but the Japanese found a way to very much improve and refine the operational durability of these "borrowed" designs and then take them to greater advances and new engineering that further advanced the state of the art.
Certainly, Campagnolo has a cool cachet which some folks enjoy this
prestige and the neat Campagnolo script and overall looks, but no matter how you try to polish a turd, you cannot attain the superioroperational functionality of the farsuperior Shimano and Suntour components. Compared to Shimano, Campagnolo is second rate.
You can best describe Campagnolo components by taking the first three letters of the far superior Japanese components manufacturer and then making a letter with one verticle line that is intersected by a horizontal line about 1/3 of the way down from the top most portion of the verticle line. That about sums it up for Campagnolo, at least since the end of the sixties, when compared directly to Shimano components.
It isn't that Campagnolo is that bad. After all they were the
world's best for a long time until the mid to late sixties. They are still decent enough and well made, but Shimano is in fact that much better than Campagnolo that in my opinion Campy equates with feces when compared to the vastly superior engineering execution of Shimano components.
Prunes with the morning coffee, G to G!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-17-22, 03:03 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
..Shimano now dominates the pro peloton, but I don;t know why pro teams choose the products they use. Pogacar rode Campy to victory twice
I think it's simply that Shimano has a larger sponsorship budget. The pros will use any thing that is sponsored, as long as it works well. All three (Shimano, Sram, Campagnolo) work well. Shimano sponsors more. Same with frames, shoes, helmets, everything. There are frames as good or better than Trek and Specialized, for instance.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-17-22, 04:19 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
The Campagnolo bashing came late in this thread, I expected it to come about 4 or 5 posts in. Very surprising.

I raced Campagnolo for 10 years, then was given a Nishiki with Suntour Cyclone to race. It worked as good as the Campagnolo, but not any better. Never won anything or went faster because it was Suntour. The Cyclone rear der wore out in about 10 years whereas the Campagnolo NR der is still going to this day, albeit it only goes out for a spin once a year now.

No question it is SIS that put Shimano on the map, and their pursuit of engineering it into something reliable and somewhat durable is what has made them the KIng Kong of components. They earned it. Campagnolo sucked at SIS until they developed their second gen brifters Just 4 seasons ago I switched from friction NR to indexed Record 11 speed and absolutely love it. Of course me being me, I am running the setup with a Sram 11 speed cassette as the hub I use is Shimano compatible, not Campag compatable.

Ride what you ride and smile with the miles. Its all good.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-17-22, 08:19 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Campagnolo, a pioneer in engineering excellence that ruled the world until about 1967, since that time CAMPY has been second rate, and a distant second rate to everything Maeda SUNTOUR and SHIMANO.

In just a few years in the Seventies, SHIMANO & SUNTOUR obliterated Campagnolo as the once stellar high line bike marques came to the quick realization that continuing to employ the vastly inferior Campagnolo junk was doing nothing to continue to help marketing those once stellar bike marques as being worthy of high praise.

Most of the prestige European marques hung on too long with Campagnolo, (and Simplex & Huret too..) after it was very clear that SHIMANO & SUNTOUR had superior engineering and durability as well as flawless operational reliability. Heck, back in 1971, most such bike owners were certainly replacing their original equipment Campagnolo rear derailleur for a SUNTOUR or SHIMANO unit. The Japanese quality was that much better, and riders of prestige European bicycles certainly realized that fact by 1971 and 1972, even though the European marques still specified the vastly inferior Campagnolo components for some time beyond 1972.
By 1977 though nearly everybody on the planet had adopted the far superior Japanese engineering and had eliminated such outdated second rate turds from Campagnolo, Simplex, and Huret. Campagnolo never again came close to Suntour or Shimano after 1968. None of the other Europeans did either!
Yes you can say that Shimano and Maeda SUNTOUR both copied & almost stole their basic designs from the best comingling of then state of the art European designs, but the Japanese found a way to very much improve and refine the operational durability of these "borrowed" designs and then take them to greater advances and new engineering that further advanced the state of the art.
Certainly, Campagnolo has a cool cachet which some folks enjoy this prestige and the neat Campagnolo script and overall looks, but no matter how you try to polish a turd, you cannot attain the superior operational functionality of the far superior Shimano and Suntour components. Compared to Shimano, Campagnolo is second rate.
You can best describe Campagnolo components by taking the first three letters of the far superior Japanese components manufacturer and then making a letter with one verticle line that is intersected by a horizontal line about 1/3 of the way down from the top most portion of the verticle line. That about sums it up for Campagnolo, at least since the end of the sixties, when compared directly to Shimano components.
It isn't that Campagnolo is that bad. After all they were the world's best for a long time until the mid to late sixties. They are still decent enough and well made, but Shimano is in fact that much better than Campagnolo that in my opinion Campy equates with feces when compared to the vastly superior engineering execution of Shimano components.

Best troll post I have seen on BF !
Old 07-18-22, 07:46 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
When I got into bikes, Dura Ace was the best stuff available, bar-none, in terms of performance. The Campy stuff was still beautiful, and no doubt their bearings were--any maybe still are--the best in the business. But took forever to change their derailleur design, and those Delta brakes were just about the ugliest, least-aero things I'd ever seen. But "the-emperor's-new-clothes" crowd loved them. They didn't work well, either. Synchro shifters were an asymmetrical joke. All this because Shimano had a two-year head start on everyone in the industry with SIS shifting, and never looked back. Campy was caught sleeping, and tried to say that indexed shifting was for "non-competitive cyclists." That condescending bit of misdirection didn't work. When Campy finally switched to the slant parallelogram design, they had hope.
Old 07-18-22, 09:16 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,292 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Best troll post I have seen on BF !
Thankfully, it was one of his shortest ...
Old 07-18-22, 10:08 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Campagnolo is a materials engineering company. Bicycle parts are a minor legacy line. The parts are sold to those who understand. They do not care in the slightest what you know about them or what you think of them. Those who buy Campy will continue to do so.
Old 07-20-22, 08:29 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Campagnolo is a materials engineering company. Bicycle parts are a minor legacy line.
Huh. Everything I can find out about them on-line says they are a bike parts manufacturer, and that's their main business. Anything you can post to show otherwise?

The parts are sold to those who understand. They do not care in the slightest what you know about them or what you think of them. Those who buy Campy will continue to do so.
Except if you ride mountain bikes, I guess...
Old 07-20-22, 03:30 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Campagnolo makes automotive parts and medical parts. They do B2B engineering services. They do research. I don't understand how the research is monetized, automotive and medical have much better markup than bike parts. Notice that they basically do not advertise their bike parts. The bike parts are the advertising for their other work.

Use the search bar.

Campagnolo has standards and they have tradition. Also filial piety. Not possible to explain those around here.

I use 85 year old Campy parts on a daily basis. Not for nostalgia, because they work. Campagnolo still has the best service ever experienced. Ask. Complaining online does not work. Seek and ye shall find. Ask and it shall be given.
Old 07-20-22, 04:04 PM
smd4

Campagnolo makes automotive parts and medical parts. They do B2B engineering services. They do research. I don't understand how the research is monetized, automotive and medical have much better markup than bike parts.
A search of "Campagnolo Medical" turns up nothing but doctors named Campagnolo. As for automotive, an automotive website says,
The company withdrew from the automotive business in the late 1970’s, refocusing exclusively on manufacturing some of the finest bicycle parts and groupsets on the market.
Emphasis added.

Notice that they basically do not advertise their bike parts.
Bike parts are basically all they advertise. They are in no other market segments, that I have been able to find.

Use the search bar.
Been there. Did that.

Complaining online does not work.
Who's complaining?

Ask and it shall be given.
I did ask for a link to these other businesses--from you--and got nothing. Thanks. You're apparently more stuck in the early 1970s than I am in the 1980s. But at least I know Shimano still makes fishing reels...
Old 07-20-22, 04:20 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Campagnolo is a materials engineering company. Bicycle parts are a minor legacy line. The parts are sold to those who understand. They do not care in the slightest what you know about them or what you think of them. Those who buy Campy will continue to do so.
Uhhmmmm no, you're incorrect. They made car rims for a while but it was a long time ago and they no longer do this. They do 'materials engineering' but only for bicycle parts. They are a bicycle component manufacturer, nothing more.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-20-22, 04:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked 5,410 Times in 2,748 Posts
"Filial Piety" eh? Thinking Japanese might be more open to a Confucian notion than Italians or Romanians. Nevertheless, someone must be feeling a little embarrassed right now. Please don't take it out on the dog....
Old 07-20-22, 04:43 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
A search of "Campagnolo Medical" turns up nothing but doctors named Campagnolo. As for automotive, an automotive website says, Emphasis added.

Bike parts are basically all they advertise. They are in no other market segments, that I have been able to find.

Been there. Did that.

Who's complaining?

I did ask for a link to these other businesses--from you--and got nothing. Thanks. You're apparently more stuck in the early 1970s than I am in the 1980s. But at least I know Shimano still makes fishing reels...
I've got a Shimano Curado DC reel on the way...basically the Di2 of bait casters. Can't wait for it to show up. I have an SLX rod and bait caster reel that work in typical Shimano fashion.

Last edited by cxwrench; 07-20-22 at 05:37 PM.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-20-22, 05:26 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Campagnolo makes automotive parts and medical parts. They do B2B engineering services. They do research. I don't understand how the research is monetized, automotive and medical have much better markup than bike parts. Notice that they basically do not advertise their bike parts. The bike parts are the advertising for their other work.

Use the search bar.

Campagnolo has standards and they have tradition. Also filial piety. Not possible to explain those around here.

I use 85 year old Campy parts on a daily basis. Not for nostalgia, because they work. Campagnolo still has the best service ever experienced. Ask. Complaining online does not work. Seek and ye shall find. Ask and it shall be given.
WTF? They make bike parts for a profit. We are supposed to give respect due to their legacy?

Whether Record parts from the 70’s or the current Super Record they are well made but no better than their top line competitors at the time. In fact they held the sport back due to there reluctance to innovation and oddball sizing from chainrings to the stupid cables. Yes they gave us the quick release but that was in the 1930’s.

You use 85 year old quick release? How old is your bike because the axle spacing would not be compatible for any bike made in the last 50 years.
Old 07-20-22, 06:18 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I give them respect because of how they have navigated all these negative and competitive influences, and remain a serious supplier of bike drivetrains for enthusiast riders. Are they the best for all bikes? No, because nothing is. Are they the best for my bikes? Yes, because I want bar shifters and my hands don't like the shapes of brifters, and it costs too much to buy a DuraAce setup just for a test run, and I already have Campy on nearly all of them. Do I care what the pro peletons use now? No. Does it matter to me what 63 uses? Yes, because I also have a bike of similar age and he has excellent knowledge of how things were done in those days. My 1952 bike has no Campy, at least it had none coming from the factory.

I like old Campy stuff. I don't need every part and every bike to have a current racing pedigree.
Old 07-20-22, 07:37 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by jlat
hello people: If any of youz grew up in Mass. as a kid in the 60s you would know. It's from a stupid TV kid show. If you really want to know find Major Mudd.
IBBY
I grew up in Braintree in the 60's. Watched Major Mudd, Romper Room and Bozo. I have no idea who or what Ibby is.
Old 07-20-22, 08:03 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 264 Posts
I grew up in Fall River Mass. Born in '55 and lived most of my life in Mass...lord I hate mass holes ! ! !
The Major Mudd show was dreadful.
Captain Kangaroo ruled the air waves. Romper Room was ok. Bozo was terrifying...I hate clowns to this day.
I raced and rode on my Campy Super Record groupo for 22 years before the rear derailleur springs wore out and I couldn't get replacements. Everything else still worked like new.
Campy still makes great stuff as does Shimano and SRAM.
Old 07-21-22, 02:42 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Uhhmmmm no, you're incorrect. They made car rims for a while but it was a long time ago and they no longer do this. They do 'materials engineering' but only for bicycle parts. They are a bicycle component manufacturer, nothing more.

Exactly !!