Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Motor paced workouts

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-07, 04:14 PM
I_paint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motor paced workouts

I've seen reference to this kind of workout here and there, but not much on the specifics, except that it involves drafting behind a car or motorcycle. So I'm a bit curious...

What is it meant to accomplish? How is it done? Where does it fit into an overall training plan? Does anyone here have experience with this?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-07, 04:27 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It simulates riding at race pace, which you can't do alone. Also improves your spin a good bit. Most pros have somebody come motorpace them after doing 3-4 hours solo already.

Last edited by Dubbayoo; 05-14-07 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-14-07, 04:30 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Typical Motor pace workout: After a warm up, Motorpace at 30mph or so for 5 minutes: then attack and pass the Motor. Drop back recover behind the Motor, repreat.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 05-14-07 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-14-07, 04:31 PM
ed073

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best training outside of race conditions

More accepted in Europe than elsewhere.....you might run into to problems with the johnny hoppers.
Old 05-14-07, 04:58 PM
recneps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone know how important it is to have a roller on the back of the scooter? The owner of the shop has a really fast scooter but thinks we should add a roller to the back.
Old 05-14-07, 05:03 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by recneps
anyone know how important it is to have a roller on the back of the scooter? The owner of the shop has a really fast scooter but thinks we should add a roller to the back.
I have never seen one on a bike but I do think its a good idea.
Old 05-14-07, 05:06 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Intervals make you strong, motor pacing makes you fast!

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-14-07, 05:35 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gotta ask: who here actually does motor pacing?
Does anyone in the Twin Cities need a motorcycle to do it (I can help with that)?
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 05-14-07, 05:49 PM
vpiuva

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
from: https://www.delaunecc.org/classic%20bike%20article.htm

the track version of motor pacing
Old 05-14-07, 06:19 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
Does anyone in the Twin Cities need a motorcycle to do it (I can help with that)?
I've done it a couple times. It's wicked fun even just goofing around.

High speeds + danger = fun
Old 05-14-07, 06:31 PM
I_paint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Intervals make you strong, motor pacing makes you fast!
And how would it do that? Is it the spinning at a high speed, or the fact that to pass a motorcycle at 30mph you really need to get moving (something you might not always do training on your own)?
Old 05-14-07, 07:09 PM
popdelusions
it's your bicycle bells

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done it (on the track) a number of times, behind a scooter with no bumper. We tend to do it with a 4 or 5 man paceline; every other lap the guy behind the motor sprints around the motor and then has to come around and get back onto the line. Then the speed picks up once everyone's rotated through. I'd like to do more of it.

The idea is you're working at cadences and speeds that you can't acheive on your own; practice that and you'll be able to do those things in race situations.
Old 05-14-07, 07:20 PM
EdZ
Clinically Insane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
I do it on the track.
Old 05-14-07, 08:11 PM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we did it a bit a few years ago, on some new roads etc.. good times, and helps your top end speed for sure.
Old 05-14-07, 08:18 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
If you're smooth enough (and have a good driver), you don't need a roller, but it sure does add a certain degree of safety if you have one on the bumper.

There is nothing better than attacking the bike at 30+, stay out there for a minute or so, and then get back in when it comes past you again. You really find out where the bottom of your tank is.
Old 05-14-07, 10:24 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
This thread inspired me to phone up my fat, old, motorbike-owning friend to go for a ride tonight. After the little warm-up ride to his place he managed to hurt me bad in only 35min. Funny how that is when the other guy has a real motor…

The workout we did was he would accelerate moderately from a stop to 42-45km/h. I would jump from the stop with him up to that speed, recover for a touch in the draft then go around him between 53-55km/h. I then went back into the draft for ~30s (he would hold his ~43km/h the whole time), I cried mercy, we slowed for a min or so, turned around, stopped and repeated that 5 times. The guy was so sketchy at first the ride had to improve my handling too.

While I’m sure that was not the ideal workout it was tons of fun! Thanks OP for the reminder! My motored buddy had fun making me suffer too (rare chance for him).

Funny thing, 5 or 6 people had gathered to watch by the 4th time we went by the only occupied area (a park). I admit for that round the group became the finish line where I went around him… I know I suck, but they were impressed. Posering it up made me feel good; bite me.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 05-14-07 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-14-07, 10:34 PM
obra3
Little Pony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 merlin. one of the pro's i know was known to motopace with gravel trucks. frickin nuts.
Old 05-14-07, 10:44 PM
I_paint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
This thread inspired me to phone up my fat, old, motorbike-owning friend to go for a ride tonight. After the little warm-up ride to his place he managed to hurt me bad in only 35min. Funny how that is when the other guy has a real motor…

The workout we did was he would accelerate moderately from a stop to 42-45km/h. I would jump from the stop with him up to that speed, recover for a touch in the draft then go around him between 53-55km/h. I then went back into the draft for ~30s (he would hold his ~43km/h the whole time), I cried mercy, we slowed for a min or so, turned around, stopped and repeated that 5 times. The guy was so sketchy at first the ride had to improve my handling too.

While I’m sure that is was not the ideal workout it was tons of fun! Thanks OP for the reminder! My motored buddy had fun making me suffer too (rare chance for him).

Funny thing, 5 or 6 people had gathered to watch by the 4th time we went by the only occupied area (a park). I admit for that round the group became the finish line where I went around him… I know I suck, but they were impressed. Posering it up made me feel good; bite me.

Glad to hear you had fun with it, sounds like a pretty intense workout. Too bad I don't have a freind with motorbike... I'd be willing to give it a shot with a car if i could find a relatively un-trafficked road with a wide shoulder. One of these days...
Old 05-15-07, 05:49 AM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by I_paint
And how would it do that? Is it the spinning at a high speed, or the fact that to pass a motorcycle at 30mph you really need to get moving (something you might not always do training on your own)?
To go fast consistently, you have to ride at high speed. Its not that you are spinning any faster, although that might be a training technique some use, its that you are getting your body and your handling skills used to going at race pace. You can get a similar work out if you ride in a group, but with motor pacing its more controlled, you can push it so that you are going even a little faster than race pace.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-15-07, 05:52 AM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
while i've motorpaced off of vespas and motorcycles, a canta lx is my favorite thing to motorpace off of. it's the perfect hight.

'
Old 05-15-07, 08:23 AM
ohmyspokes
there's a bike in the pit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EdZ
I do it on the track.
Haven't done it myself, but I watched juniors motorpacing at T-town for a bit last Sunday before my race across the street.

One of the motorcycles had a roller on the back, the other did not.
Old 05-15-07, 05:01 PM
ed073

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roler is good....you can get a bit closer. but not imperative. Bike or scooter needs to be pretty low power, low torque. Torquey bikes jerk around under throttle.

VIS used to do 200km every week on the Mornington Peninsula behind the bike, Dave Sanders as pilote.

Big day.
Old 05-15-07, 05:12 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Years ago,owned a VW Squareback. Used to pop open the rear hatch and have clubmembers draft/pace . . . even to the point they would be riding under the hatch . . .
On communte home one day, drafted a housetrailer being hauled by a truck . . . fun . . . then spotted cop, who spotted me and he put on lights/siren.
Got a written warning for following another vehicle too closely! Cop ended up laughing and shaking my hand, saying: "I've always wanted to do this!"
Old 05-15-07, 09:25 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I had a Motobecane moped decades ago, and my friend and I would take turns motorpacing each other. We did a 40 mile loop that was fairly flat. The moped was just strong enough to make it a real fight for the final sprint .... It was a great workout !!
Old 05-16-07, 01:58 AM
classic1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ed073
VIS used to do 200km every week on the Mornington Peninsula behind the bike, Dave Sanders as pilote.

Big day.
I'm personally acquainted with the torture instrument known as Davo's motorbike. It sucked, especially with J Stewart and G Clively assisting with the pwnage of my good self.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.