Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Review: Mavic Ksyrium SL's = PEDs

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 06:45 PM
JungleCat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Based on research and help from BF'ers here (esp 55/Rad), I dropped my Bontrager Selects and upgraded to Mavic Ksyrium SL's (2006 model on eBay for $530). I had my doubts about how much they would help performance wise cuz frankly, I'm a sucky rider.

I put them on today and they absolutely flew. I should be banned from something for using these.

I have a quick, moderately hilly 12 mile route I do after work which I call my Individual Time Trial. This year, due to a knee injury, my best effort could only produce a 13.7mph average and most times it was 13.4mph. Today with the Mavics, despite the fact I was tired, hungry and feeling less than 100%, that avg went straight up to 14.4mph.

I noticed a few things:
1. ala Greg Lemond, climbing the hills didn't feel any easier but I was able to turn bigger gears which produced much faster climbs.

2. The real area I felt a difference was in rolling resistance. Whenever I expected the bike to slow down, it just kept going. The thing rocketed down the hills to the point I had to awkwardly change the arc of some turns to avoid crashing.

3. They felt alot more stable and steady when I put my head down on the flats and grinded.

I still remain skeptical about whether they'll survive these Jersey roads but hey, you guys already proved me wrong on the performance angle! Man, I'm really looking forward to my distance ride this wknd.
Old 07-26-07, 06:49 PM
2WheelFury
Cat 6 Wheel-Sucker

Bikes: Pinarello, Cannondale, Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool! I just picked up a set of these ($260 NEW!!!) and can't wait to get them installed. Looking forward to it!
Old 07-26-07, 07:10 PM
unbelievably

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JungleCat
... climbing the hills didn't feel any easier but I was able to turn bigger gears which produced much faster climbs.
Dude...
Purely semantics. Nice choice of wheels to upgrade to...
Old 07-26-07, 08:02 PM
JungleCat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2WheelFury
Cool! I just picked up a set of these ($260 NEW!!!) and can't wait to get them installed. Looking forward to it!
What?! How on earth did you score that?
Old 07-26-07, 08:27 PM
2WheelFury
Cat 6 Wheel-Sucker

Bikes: Pinarello, Cannondale, Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Local shop clearing 'em out - just got the timing right I guess.
Old 07-26-07, 08:56 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I loved my SL's. The only reason I'm not riding them now is because I bought the ES wheels which are basically the SL's with more bling and slightly less weight. The only reason I bought the ES's was a 25% off deal my LBS gave me on them. I still need to sell the SL's which is what I told my wife I'd do...they are sitting in the garage in the wheel bags that came with the ES wheels.
Old 07-26-07, 09:07 PM
Dick Rhee
Shoebomber

Bikes: 2008 Canyon CF Pro w/ Chorus, 2005 Moots Vamoots w/ Ultegra, 1988 Cannondale commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2WheelFury
Local shop clearing 'em out - just got the timing right I guess.
These are the SL's and not the Elites or Equipes?
Old 07-26-07, 09:12 PM
jmechy

Bikes: 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDRider
I loved my SL's. The only reason I'm not riding them now is because I bought the ES wheels which are basically the SL's with more bling and slightly less weight. The only reason I bought the ES's was a 25% off deal my LBS gave me on them. I still need to sell the SL's which is what I told my wife I'd do...they are sitting in the garage in the wheel bags that came with the ES wheels.
how much are you looking to sell them for? How many miles?
Old 07-26-07, 10:19 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I picked up my SL's as part of a deal. I didn't really need nor want them. They are black and don't match any bike I've got going, but I took them anyway figuring I could always flip them.

I decided to check them out and was immediately surprised. There are very few wheels that make me go "wow" anymore and I have to say I was really impressed with their acceleration and stiffness. Rode them 5 more times and then took them off the bike for aesthetic purposes. Then I went and bought a used set of silver Elites and was equally impressed.

Now I have these SL's - I guess I must find something to build for them to go on.

Also, $260 for a brand new set sounds like a steal...literally.

55/Rad
Old 07-26-07, 10:29 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmechy
how much are you looking to sell them for? How many miles?
You got PM.
Old 07-26-07, 10:49 PM
theshoemaker
Jacko nose historian

Bikes: 2006 52cm Trek 2200, Specialized Rockhopper (gets infrequent use unfortunately)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JungleCat
2. The real area I felt a difference was in rolling resistance. Whenever I expected the bike to slow down, it just kept going. The thing rocketed down the hills to the point I had to awkwardly change the arc of some turns to avoid crashing.
Rolling resistance, I believe is going to be much more a result of the tires, tire pressure, and your hubs.

My question is are they too stiff for long distance rides. I have a friend who says so. I believe he replaced ksyriums with some bonty raceXlites for that reason.
Old 07-26-07, 10:54 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theshoemaker
Rolling resistance, I believe is going to be much more a result of the tires, tire pressure, and your hubs.

My question is are they too stiff for long distance rides. I have a friend who says so. I believe he replaced ksyriums with some bonty raceXlites for that reason.
I've ridden a century on my SL's and commute on my ES wheels regularly. I don't think they're too stiff.
Old 07-26-07, 10:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I love mine, but be aware that they'll catch a crosswind. At least a lot more than the Open Pros I was riding before.