Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vuelta XRP wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Vuelta XRP wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 11:10 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And what statements of mine, pray tell, do you disagree with?
Old 12-04-07, 11:25 AM
joecool2727

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skinny
How about you look at the pictures. That seems to be more your speed. The rest of us will read the specifications, which say carbon rim. . And I have read the info Mike posted.
Why dont you just look at the pictures? You can obviously see that the ones on Vuelta's site have an aluminum rim while the ones Mike posted are all carbon. If you had actually read what Mike has been posting then you would know that the group buy wheels are being made specifically for this group buy, Vuelta doesnt offer them yet.
Old 12-04-07, 11:55 AM
Duke of Kent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joecool2727
Why dont you just look at the pictures? You can obviously see that the ones on Vuelta's site have an aluminum rim while the ones Mike posted are all carbon. If you had actually read what Mike has been posting then you would know that the group buy wheels are being made specifically for this group buy, Vuelta doesnt offer them yet.

THANK YOU.

As I was the person who suggested that Mike contact Gigantex and see what was available in terms of a new wheelset or two, I was well aware of their current selection...having called them a while back. Vuelta DOES NOT currently offer a full carbon wheelset, as Mike has stated several times, but Skinny can't seem to understand.

That would be post #3, Mike's response is #6, and my response is #7 of the group buy thread.
Old 12-04-07, 12:24 PM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sorry to interrupt the pissing match, but does anyone know anything about these?

1589g, $220.00.

Old 12-04-07, 12:58 PM
Bike Lover
Should be riding

Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Second Mouse
Sorry to interrupt the pissing match, but does anyone know anything about these?

1589g, $220.00.

I think those are the ones that were spec'd on my Boettchia that I'm now ridding on my Pedal Force. I rode all summer, admittedly not as much as most of you, on them and haven't had to worry about trueing them yet. I was 195ish in the beginning of summer and about 185 now, for a point of reference. I can't say I've been too hard on them but I have had a couple of good impacts from a pot hole or two.
Old 12-04-07, 01:08 PM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Bike Lover. What's your take on how stiff or flexy they are?
Old 12-04-07, 02:46 PM
87cannondaleman
Rolling Penitent

Bikes: '87 Cannondale, '02 Cannondale, '05 Cannondale, '02 Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I take it no one has direct experience with carbon rimmed tubulars listed on the group buy?
Old 12-04-07, 02:53 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by 87cannondaleman
So I take it no one has direct experience with carbon rimmed tubulars listed on the group buy?
We could not have had experience with them thus far, since they are being manufactured specifically for the group buy.

Last edited by cranky old road; 12-04-07 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-04-07, 03:02 PM
Bike Lover
Should be riding

Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my first ride, the wheels pinged a bit when starting. I also noticed a bit of brake rub once on that run during a sprint. However, after that, I never heard a peep, or ping, from them. I also have yet to get any further brake rub. Beyond my experiences I listed, I am hesitant to give an opinion on how stiff/flexy they are as they are my first road wheels and I don't have alot of experience with others.

FWIW, I thought I'd try to get a new set of wheels shortly after I put the bike together. I haven't really found a reason to, until the group buy, that is...

I am interested in trying the CF tubulars in the BD group buy! $400, 50mm CF, how can you go wrong? As for anyone trying these, that's a big no. As mentioned above, these are new that Mike had Vuelta make specifically for this GB. Now, I don't know if Vuelta will make more and sell these seperately, but as of now, they're new. The only thing I wish I had more infomation on with these wheels is the hub.
Old 12-04-07, 03:38 PM
Duke of Kent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 87cannondaleman
If you're referring to this specific total wheel package, no, no one knows much.

The rims, yeah. There are plenty of companies that use these rims. Planet X, for starters. You can go search weight weenies and I'm sure there will be plenty of reviews of them.
Old 12-04-07, 03:45 PM
EdZ
Clinically Insane

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
If you're referring to this specific total wheel package, no, no one knows much.

The rims, yeah. There are plenty of companies that use these rims. Planet X, for starters. You can go search weight weenies and I'm sure there will be plenty of reviews of them.

I'm not so sure about that. One of the things that I noticed right away was the lack of a visible weave present on the rim. Now, planet x's first generation wheels had a visible weave, and their new wheels use an "organic" type fiber that looks like it has tiger stripes. The wheels shown in the pictures from the group buy have neither of these features. I asked the bikesdirect guy if this was just from the poor photo quality, but he replied saying that is actually how they are, matte black with no weave showing, except for on the "inside", whatever that means. So, they may be made by gigantex, and they may have been layed up on the same molds, but they sure are not the same rims, or even simmilar to anything out there. This is one of the things that is keeping me from buying them right now. I'm still trying to figure this one out.
Old 12-04-07, 04:17 PM
Duke of Kent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EdZ
I'm not so sure about that. One of the things that I noticed right away was the lack of a visible weave present on the rim. Now, planet x's first generation wheels had a visible weave, and their new wheels use an "organic" type fiber that looks like it has tiger stripes. The wheels shown in the pictures from the group buy have neither of these features. I asked the bikesdirect guy if this was just from the poor photo quality, but he replied saying that is actually how they are, matte black with no weave showing, except for on the "inside", whatever that means. So, they may be made by gigantex, and they may have been layed up on the same molds, but they sure are not the same rims, or even simmilar to anything out there. This is one of the things that is keeping me from buying them right now. I'm still trying to figure this one out.
Well, in almost all cases, the exterior weave is purely cosmetic, and has no bearing on the structural quality of the rim.

I've seen several iterations of Gigantex rims, and none looked exactly alike. But, you could very well be right and these could be made by someone else entirely.
Old 12-04-07, 07:43 PM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Part of the reason why this could be confusing is that it is tough to pin down who/what Vuelta are.
https://www.vueltausa.com/
https://www.vueltaxrpwheels.com/

Vuelta Chromelites are popular budget wheels in Britain, comparing well to the lower end Shimano wheels.
So far as I can see, none of the products featured in the Vuelta USA site are on the Vuelta XRP site, although both note Andrej Sosenka!

I've seen Vuelta Italy and Vuelta Germany stickers before too. Eek!
Old 12-04-07, 08:20 PM
heads up!
ultimate cat

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Lover
The only thing I wish I had more infomation on with these wheels is the hub.
Bingo. Hubs are the big question.
Old 12-04-07, 09:21 PM
EdZ
Clinically Insane

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
Well, in almost all cases, the exterior weave is purely cosmetic, and has no bearing on the structural quality of the rim.

I've seen several iterations of Gigantex rims, and none looked exactly alike. But, you could very well be right and these could be made by someone else entirely.
Here is the closest match I could find, Karbonas...

https://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FULL-CARBON-...QQcmdZViewItem

Very simmilar looking...
Old 12-04-07, 09:51 PM
Duke of Kent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a couple of others selling similar rims/wheels:

Carbon Accessory:
https://cgi.ebay.com/New-Speedmax-50m...QQcmdZViewItem

Similar matte black rims, pretty plain-Jane. Some others out there, but I can't remember them at the moment.
Old 12-04-07, 10:01 PM
Duke of Kent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heads up!
Bingo. Hubs are the big question.
I'm planning on replacing the rear hub and throwing on some nice DT Swiss spokes.

The front, meh, whatever. Front hubs of any make are pretty easy to service. Or pop bearings in and out of, for that matter.

Not related, but I might be buying another rim from Planet X to build into a rear for my soon to be purchased track bike. 85mm wouldn't be too bad...
Old 08-21-08, 12:36 PM
RIC0
PBR Racing

Bikes: Santa Cruz and Cannondale

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats the word on these rims???

Vuelta XRP-Comp SB Wheels
Size: 700C X 18MM
Material 6061 T6 Aluminum
Type: Double Wall
Finish (Color) Matt Black
Braking Surface: CNC Machined Sides
Valve Hole: Presta 6.5MM
Material/Type: Stainless Bladed 3.5MM Black
Count: Front: 24 Rear: 24
Lacing: 2 Left 2 Right
Nipple: Brass CP Finish
Compatibility: 7 (with a spacer) /8 / 9 / 10 Speed
Type: Cassette Shimano
Shell Material 6061 T6 Aluminum
Shell Finish Blast Matt Black
Bearing: Double Sealed Cartridge Bearing
Axle Material: 6061 T6 Aluminum
Axle Type: Q/R With Alloy Skewer
Price on ebay for NIB = $145
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
xrpsb8.jpg (47.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 08-21-08, 01:24 PM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
They're "OK" for general use and can be considered a low cost wheel upgrade if you have a heavier set of wheels. I recently bought the $200 set, which is the lightest in the Vuelta line with AL rims. I had to retrue the spokes on both wheels, and the hub bearings were set way too tight, requiring some disassembly and reassembly to get them to spin free. The braking surface wasn't as flat as I hoped, which makes for some uneven braking under certain conditions. After the initial retruing, they've remained true. I'm sure I'll be replacing them within the year, mostly to get a smoother braking surface. I'll probably sell them to someone who needs a set of wheels for little $.