Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinese carbon wheel buyers and users. From mainland companies (NOT Ebay stores)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chinese carbon wheel buyers and users. From mainland companies (NOT Ebay stores)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-16, 10:10 PM
clubber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I have an idea what some of you are saying...here we go again with these Chinese wheel companies (I’ll call them assemblers or builders) because they don’t manufacture the parts they use to build the wheels. Then of course neither do the custom wheel builders.

Now HOLD ON! Don’t get me wrong. I believe that these builders are truly craftsmen and artists and that is why they command such a high fee for their services.

So a lot of us can not afford the the OEM wheelsets or custom built wheels. We would like to benefit from the technology so we turn to the Chinese wheel companies where good quality wheels can (sometimes) be had for 1/5 the cost of the name brand companies like Reynolds Zipp and Enve to name a few.

But, there is a price to pay in regards to the “hit or miss” chance that we take spending anywhere from $200-$1000 for these aero carbon wheels due to the fact that these Chinese companies do not have to adhere to the rigorous quality assurance standards that the name brand companies set for themselves. But...those standard have improved just in the past few years and the success rate of getting a quality product has improved with them.

The way that we find out about these Chinese wheel companies is by getting information from those who have spent hundreds of dollars and taken the chance to buy these aero carbon wheels and have used them in many cases with GREAT success both in competition and for personal use.

Unfortunately there are those that encounter failures with their wheels both structural and mechanical because of the light standards that are practiced. Again these standards have gotten getting MUCH better. Particularly by the mainland companies like like Farsports, Workswell, Dengfu, Yeoleo and Carbonspeedcycle.

I know by reading testimonials in multiple forums that ALL of these companies have be commended for their top rate customer service a quality of product. They all seem to use the same various manufacturers and combinations of hubs, spokes, rims and nipples

What I am trying to find out is CURRENT information from those who have bought wheels (individual or sets) from any of these companies that to my knowledge are located on the mainland and NOT ebay stores or sites like Alibaba or Aliexpress. For Those of you who have actually read this entire post...thanks for hanging in there! Regards,

Matt
Old 07-20-16, 02:11 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two sets of wheels from Farsports. I have only been using them as training wheels, and they seem to be nearly indestructable. I ended up taking the cheap hubs which are not that great, so I would imagine they would be a lot nicer had I spent the extra 100 bucks or so for nicer ones. They have lots of options when you order.

Regarding the ordering options specifically, this is actually the cool part. You can just tell them what you want, and they'll build it for you. "I want carbon tubular/clincher with 1k/3k/12k carbon weave in gloss/matte finish with X kind of hub built for Shimano/Campy, etc..." It usually takes about 3 weeks for them to build and ship your wheels to you.
Old 07-24-16, 07:52 PM
clubber

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
I have two sets of wheels from Farsports. I have only been using them as training wheels, and they seem to be nearly indestructable. I ended up taking the cheap hubs which are not that great, so I would imagine they would be a lot nicer had I spent the extra 100 bucks or so for nicer ones. They have lots of options when you order.

Regarding the ordering options specifically, this is actually the cool part. You can just tell them what you want, and they'll build it for you. "I want carbon tubular/clincher with 1k/3k/12k carbon weave in gloss/matte finish with X kind of hub built for Shimano/Campy, etc..." It usually takes about 3 weeks for them to build and ship your wheels to you.
Man...that is awesome to know. I actually ordered wheels from 2 other reputable companies (not ebay stores) and due to poor communication and misunderstanding finally ordered from Farsports.

They were terrific and very responsive to all of my questions. I was able to get the wheels with everything I was looking for including the Swisstop Black Prince pads and a couple of extra Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Really looking forward to building my new bike.
Old 08-21-16, 10:50 AM
jdcowboy
Just born yesterday

Bikes: Giant TCR SL, Trek SuperFly 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want some 50mm X 24 carbon tubeless wheels. Does anyone know if Yoeleo SAT wheels are tubeless compatible? I've sent them two messages asking the question and have not gotten a response, which is not impressive.

Has anyone bought Carbon Speed Cycle SAT wheels? They say theirs are tubeless compatible.
Old 08-21-16, 10:07 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
What's wrong with eBay stores? A lot of these stores have eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress, etc accounts. You just have to know who you're buying from.
Old 08-22-16, 01:20 AM
trailflow1

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
What's wrong with eBay stores? A lot of these stores have eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress, etc accounts. You just have to know who you're buying from.
Farsports or Yoeleo don't have ebay accounts. The rims they sell are a different construction compared to the ebay rims. That's why their wheels have a higher price tag. You are buying a better quality rim.

If you research around the web as well as read the chinese carbon threads on roadbikereview.com you'll find that ebay wheels have the most reported problems.

Last edited by trailflow1; 08-22-16 at 01:44 AM.