Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Huffy EZ Build Bike - Unsafe

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 08:25 PM
mrnedburns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do NOT buy this bike for your children.

I guess this is sort of a PSA on a dangerous bike model sold at Walmart (and other department stores). I was in need of a 16" bike in a hurry for my 4 yr old daughter who was just making the jump from training wheels to 2 wheels (went from balance bike, to training wheels, to normal bike in 2 weeks!). Evidently everyone was bike shopping that week because there were very few options available around grandma's house. We bought a Huffy EZ Build Rock It (model 51808) at Walmart, pre-assembled at the store by the 'experts'. Before her first ride, the handle bars popped off. I figured out the mechanism and re-attached. During the 3rd or 4th ride, the bottom bracket failed, components fell out, chain fell off, and she had no brakes and panicked. She went in the ditch and hit a trashcan. A bit shaken and bumped up, but thankfully there had been no traffic or otherwise hazardous objects nearby.

I did not expect a bike that would last forever and be handed down to my grandkids. I did expect a bike that would last a few summers under the load of a little girl. A bike that can't safely handle a 40 lb girl for a cumulative 20 minutes on smooth level pavement is not a product worth buying at any price. Especially with the kicker that evidently Walmart does not refund/replace bicycles for any reason. I left it with the manager to throw in their dumpster.

Now that we are back home and have time we will shop around for something more reliable we will get something better. Watch out!
Old 07-30-18, 09:57 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
"Especially with the kicker that evidently Walmart does not refund/replace bicycles for any reason."

I thought Walmart had an excellent, no questions asked return policy.

EDIT:
"Walmart's Bicycle Return Policy. Walmart accepts returns on bicycles up to 90-days after the purchase. Just wheel the bike to customer service, hand over the receipt, and they will give you a refund."
Old 07-31-18, 08:57 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Usually I would not recommend reading youtube comments about anything bicycle, but in THIS case, read the comments.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-31-18 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-31-18, 09:06 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Usually I would not recommend reading youtube comments about anything bicycle, but in THIS case, read the comments.

-mr. bill

Yeah, sounds like this one is a lemon and needs to be recalled before kids get hurt on them.
Old 07-31-18, 09:38 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Even the bikes sold at real bike stores are pretty raw out of the box--a quality shop will take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2+ hours to get a major-brand bike roadworthy. Shop owners are routinely lied to by sales reps about this--no bike is a 30 minute assembly if you care about your customer's experience on it. No department store assembly should EVER be trusted. If someone doesn't want to pay a bike store to do the assembly, internet and print resources exist to make a bike at least close to non-lethal if not well adjusted.
Old 07-31-18, 06:20 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Strange though if you go to Walmart website...it shows very good user ratings.
There are also some sucky “reviews.” Sometimes a purple bike sucks. Sometimes several reviews say the blue bikes suck. There are so many variants of this bike you’d have to spend half a day going through all the “reviews” of all the variants to come up with something meaningful - maybe. (Maybe the Russians don’t like Huffy.)

Many of the five star “reviews” were how cute the bike is and my kid loves their first bike.

Just wondering, what percentage of handlebar failures in the first one, two, five rides are acceptable?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-31-18 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-01-18, 04:03 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mrnedburns
We bought a Huffy EZ Build Rock It (model 51808) at Walmart, pre-assembled at the store by the 'experts'. Before her first ride, the handle bars popped off. I figured out the mechanism and re-attached. During the 3rd or 4th ride, the bottom bracket failed, components fell out, chain fell off,
Not too surprising. You get what you pay for, if you’re lucky.

My own recent Wal-Mart bike story:

An older guy that I see fairly regularly on a MUP recently bought a Schwinn from Wal-Mart. I have reason to think he could not easily afford better, so I kept the LBS bikes are better lecture to myself.

It seemed to be a nice enough bike for the money, but one of the features he showed me was that the front wheel stopped automatically when he lifts the front wheel off the ground.

It didn’t take me too long to see that the Wal-Mart assembler had left the cam lever off the skewer. That allowed the axle freedom (when elevated off the pavement) to drop onto the lawyer lip, which resulted on the brake pads touching the tire.

I let him know that this was not at all safe, and he needed to return the bike for repair right away.

Next time I saw him, it was fixed. He said they didn’t charge him anything. I asked him if they apologized for their mistake, and he said no.
Old 08-01-18, 05:38 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I can't defend the execution, but I love the concept of a bike that snaps together and is ready to go. But of course it has to work. And I suspect it will require some technologies that, while simple, haven't been invented yet. It might also make a bike cost 20 cents more.
Old 08-02-18, 06:36 AM
mrnedburns

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
"Especially with the kicker that evidently Walmart does not refund/replace bicycles for any reason."

I thought Walmart had an excellent, no questions asked return policy.

EDIT:
"Walmart's Bicycle Return Policy. Walmart accepts returns on bicycles up to 90-days after the purchase. Just wheel the bike to customer service, hand over the receipt, and they will give you a refund."
That's what I thought before this experience. Evidently there is an exception for bicycles, or "they would be replacing bicycles all the time." I'm less worried about the refund and more worried about a bad bike hurting kids.
Old 08-02-18, 07:03 AM
mr_bill

"Walmart reserves the right to warn, limit or decline returns or exchanges regardless of whether the customer has a receipt. All Non-Receipt returns are subject to a refund verification process. Customers are encouraged to retain their purchase receipts, online order receipts and e-receipts. All decisions regarding returns are subject to applicable laws. The Store Manager has the authority to make a final decision for all returns."

-mr. bill
Old 08-07-18, 08:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” - Ben Franklin, possibly?
Old 08-09-18, 03:14 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I built all three of the bikes i bought for my daughter (now 7yo). I wouldn't buy a bike built by a shop and just give it to her to ride.
Old 08-15-18, 10:03 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Theee is a simple answer to this, but lots of people won’t like it: regulations. Require bikes sold to meet a basic industry standard. Require people who assemble bikes to complete some kind of in house training covering a complete safety spec. Require manufacturers to provide detailed instructions for assembly including torque values for all. Components. And also require certified metal parts. I have seen cheap bikes where the brakes broke from cheap metal.

We do do it with cars, we do it with boats, planes, cranes... why not bikes?
Old 08-15-18, 10:55 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Huffy
Insert Handlebar and Fork

NOTES:
  • Ensure Collar A is fully loosened.
  • Insert Fork UP through frame with Groove B facing FRONT
  • Insert Handlebar DOWN into bike frame until Buttons C SNAP into place - Rapid Force is needed at Stem D
  • Pull UP on Handlebar to ensure it is locked securely - repeat above steps if needed
  • Hand tighten Collar A
The complaints are that the instruction "Pull UP on Handlebar":
  • Either is an invalid test to ensure that the handlebar is locked securely (instruction flaw)
  • Or correctly indicates that the handlebar is locked, but subsequently the handlebar unlocks during use (design flaw)
-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-16-18 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 05:05 PM
mr_bill

BTW, it’s possible Either/Or are both true, but no matter.

We can always find a way “to blame it on other people,” people like the child, or the parents, or the grandparents, or the great-aunts or the great-uncles, or....

Maybe all of the above? Because....

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-15-18 at 07:28 PM.