Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 05-02-19, 10:40 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
The first two timed sections were the two long climbs. The last two were rolling. And those guys who beat me were skinnier than me. Here's what the timed sections looked like:

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-02-19, 10:51 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Not to make you feel better or worse about the DFL, but that is a tough course and would definitely favor A) light weight climbers and B) climbers who have terrain on which to practice climbing. Isn't your terrain pretty flat? Terrain matters and muscle recruitment is different for climbing versus flat to rolling terrain. Next time take a fly swatter with you for those pesky climbers.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-02-19, 10:58 AM
revchuck 
OMC

It's so flat where I live that I've done a century with less than 100 feet of elevation gain. Cyclists around here whine about having to ascend the I-10 overpasses. I have to drive to get to hills, and I still need to do a gazillion or so repeats to get decent elevation. In the best of all possible worlds, I'd have a house in Colorado somewhere and fly there for climbing rides. Alas, I just have to make do.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-02-19, 05:56 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I don't get it, may as well just do a timed hill climb. Hills suck!

Speaking of hills, I added 15 lbs this year, seeing as I burned out and can't climb for ***** anyway. The scan says 9 lbs lean & 6 lbs fat. So this week being rest week on the bike I started cutting, about 700 calorie deficit. I plan on doing the same workload on the bike and gym and hope recovery is ok.

Monday & Tuesday I took off all workouts except 1 rep max efforts in the gym. Got 275 bench and 440 deadlift.

Today was another attempt at VO2 max, the only bike workout I have planned this week. It went much better than the first attempt last Tuesday. 4x4 @128% and my legs actually had more in them, it was mostly hard keeping my lungs going, which is a good sign for me. There is a 90" portion so steep I have to ride it at ~50-55 rpm and that's where I stock up on a few watts in case my lungs blow up later in the effort.
Old 05-02-19, 08:56 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Group ride tonight. The enve hitters are out of town for bwr and the fast guys from my team weren't there so it was a group of 5 for the a ride. Still kept the pace high, but nothing to write home about. Got dusted in the sprint too.

But pizza afterwards. Guess I cheated my calorie diet a bit but progress has been good and I'm racing (flatish) this weekend, so it's easy to rationalize.

Treated to a view on the way home too.

Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 05-02-19, 09:27 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
It's so flat where I live that I've done a century with less than 100 feet of elevation gain. Cyclists around here whine about having to ascend the I-10 overpasses. I have to drive to get to hills, and I still need to do a gazillion or so repeats to get decent elevation. In the best of all possible worlds, I'd have a house in Colorado somewhere and fly there for climbing rides. Alas, I just have to make do.
If it makes you feel better, in about 20 hours I'm going to be complaining about the 500 foot climb going home from work. Whenever I'm on a recovery ride or commute and tired af, I have to go up that stupid hill.

Ultimately I enjoy hills, but it would be nice if we had a few long and flat routes with no stoplights.

Last edited by furiousferret; 05-02-19 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-02-19, 10:08 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@revchuck that ride looks beastly. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 05-03-19, 06:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
One of those rides last afternoon that makes you question your progress. The extenuating circumstances were I decided to take the TT bike with the new position out for a long ride......and the route was ****.

Bump bump bump BANG bump, miss that huge wheel swallowing gash in the pavement.......and chip seal......geeesh. I get less beat up on long gravel rides.

But, right at 60mi in about 2:55 or so. I stayed in it for a good while, but the last 1/2 to 1/3 of the ride I stayed sat up a lot. My hands/wrists hurt from that, bull bars aren't ideal for that either. The traffic wasn't ideal either for a **** road condition and the TT bike.

Got in my Z2 time though. Whatever. Just was NOT a pleasant ride. You'd need a road bike and 30mm tires to make that ride enjoyable. And I only weight like 155. Such a pure shame as it's pretty riding and not super busy. Folks seemed pretty friendly too.
Old 05-03-19, 07:18 AM
revchuck 
OMC

After discussing it with my coach, I'm going to be doing Gran Fondo Asheville on July 21. I'm going to pause my twice a week runs until after that so I can concentrate 100% on the bike. My next goal event after that will be a 25k trail run in October, followed by a 20-mile trail run in December, and maybe a 50k trail run in January.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-03-19, 08:00 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

If that's the style with the time segments, I'd practice doing just that in training. Do some long rides with some SS intervals tossed in. There's a maximum time to arrive before they close each timed segment along the way. I'd definitely group up/draft and chill out easy peasy in between each one.

I did AOMM last year and flatted around mile 30 and had to work alone for 40ish miles to Marion. Then do the climb. That sucked.
Old 05-03-19, 10:49 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Did some sprints yesterday - so bad! I'm down ~200w from my best. Hopefully will be most of the way there by the end of the month, I generally respond well to throwing 6-8 of them into a ride 1x/week.
Old 05-03-19, 03:02 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I don't get it, may as well just do a timed hill climb.
It's so people don't kill themselves on the downhills trying to win the fondo.
Old 05-03-19, 08:30 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Openers and carbo loading today. After the low cal eating of late, trying to get a proper carb load done today was.. challenging.
Old 05-05-19, 06:25 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

No riding today. Got a late invite to do some side country truck lap skiing with a couple of buddies. Snow was definitely spring corn, but was oh so fun to just chill, drink some beers and slash slush. I did get to the gym before going though and set a Dead lift pr on what felt to be slightly tired legs. And I got a short 3.5 mile run in after getting home to burn off the calories.
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 05-06-19, 05:38 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
Yesterday I did the Canyon "Belgian Waffle Ride" and I'm still trying to eat my way out of it today. I was riding it as a "team" with a few lower (racing) cat. teammates and just having fun. It features 40 miles of dirt/gravel/single track, some of which is MTB worthy (Lake Hodges). Doing it on 25 c tires on a rim brake road bike was not the best choice, but with 100 miles of road a full on gravel bike is a bit slow. Interesting mix of setups out there, really unique ride.

I had two rear flats within ~10 mi of eachother near the end which kinda pissed me off, but you can kinda expect to "burp" a tubeless road tire when you're constantly slamming it on rocks. The endless dirt lake hodges section really took it out of me.

After that (~100 miles in) I was so far back (about halfway down the starters) that I just hammered the remaining miles and just caught and passed tons of people which was kind of exciting I guess. I wasn't really hurting until the top of double peak (final steep climb) but at that point you're pretty much done.

Unique event! Honestly it made me want a more modern disc brake road bike so that I could run 28s or even 30s for it next year. Total blast!

Summary
Total time: 9:10:13
Duration: 8:25:25 (92%)
Moving time: 8:17:38 (90%)
Distance: 131.8mi
Climbing: 10262ft
RPE: -
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-06-19, 05:46 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Same ride as TMonk ^

Started with the first wave and tried my best to get to the front and keep contact. I started the first dirt sector maybe 25 back, but got passed by a lot of people because I'm slow off road. Haven't had enough practice doing gravel at speed, although I ride it pretty often at a slower pace. Got into a few groups to rotate with on the road, but I'd always get dropped at the subsequent gravel sections, so I ended up riding alone quite a bit. On the bright side, I didn't crash or get any flats! I went with tubeless 28mm Schwalbe One's. I think I went a bit too hard during the first hour and a half or so, and there were a lot of pitchy climbs that sapped the legs. I was really feeling bad after the last really big dirt section (Hodges/Lemontwist), so I just sat at z2 pace while staying as aero as possible. I picked up a few other riders on the way who were just as ragged as I was, but I just pretended like I was riding alone and let them sit on as long as they wanted. I caught up to the guys I was in the team competition with just before Double Peak, as they had some mechanical issues prior, and we rode the rest of the way together. The top of double peak was really really rough. I had trouble holding 250w, but the spectators and cowbells actually made the difference and kept me going. Then I had a coke at the aid station and took it easy with the team to the finish line and rolled across together.

This was my longest/hardest ride ever! Hopefully it'll give my aerobic system a little bit of a kick in the pants, I'm lagging a little this year.

391 TSS, 201w NP, 8:07 total 7:56 moving, 4762 kJ

Last edited by wktmeow; 05-06-19 at 05:51 PM.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 05-06-19, 07:28 PM
revchuck 
OMC

I took it fairly easy this past week. Coach told me to ride when/if I wanted to, as much/little as I wanted to. I did a fairly hard two-hour ride Thursday and 1-1/2 hours at endurance pace Friday.

Saturday night a call went out on our local Facebook page for a sub-five hour century. Three people showed up - me, a stupid-strong guy who had gotten out of shape and was working back into it, and the guy I did the TX RAAM Challenge with who has a medically-valid testosterone prescription and is using the hell out of it. I figured we'd end up around 4:55 - a good workout but not debilitating. Instead, it was 4:35. (Yeah, I know. #westcoastrecoveryride ) We took our only break at about the 62-mile mark. I had taken my fair share of pulls to that point but it was getting hard and told them I didn't know how much longer I'd be able to contribute; they were okay with that. Sure enough, once we started back I took one pull and could tell I was done, practiced my drafting for the last 30 miles or so. I was a tired puppy!

The next two weeks is all VO2 Max, starting tomorrow with 8x2' intervals with 2' RBI. There are two days between interval workouts. I haven't done these for a while, so it'll be interesting to see how they go.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-06-19, 07:38 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Yesterday I did the Canyon "Belgian Waffle Ride" and I'm still trying to eat my way out of it today. I was riding it as a "team" with a few lower (racing) cat. teammates and just having fun. It features 40 miles of dirt/gravel/single track, some of which is MTB worthy (Lake Hodges). Doing it on 25 c tires on a rim brake road bike was not the best choice, but with 100 miles of road a full on gravel bike is a bit slow. Interesting mix of setups out there, really unique ride.

I had two rear flats within ~10 mi of eachother near the end which kinda pissed me off, but you can kinda expect to "burp" a tubeless road tire when you're constantly slamming it on rocks. The endless dirt lake hodges section really took it out of me.

After that (~100 miles in) I was so far back (about halfway down the starters) that I just hammered the remaining miles and just caught and passed tons of people which was kind of exciting I guess. I wasn't really hurting until the top of double peak (final steep climb) but at that point you're pretty much done.

Unique event! Honestly it made me want a more modern disc brake road bike so that I could run 28s or even 30s for it next year. Total blast!

Summary
Total time: 9:10:13
Duration: 8:25:25 (92%)
Moving time: 8:17:38 (90%)
Distance: 131.8mi
Climbing: 10262ft
RPE: -
I know a few people that traveled from Canada to do that ride. They all said it was brutally hard. Good job.
Old 05-06-19, 09:58 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

As I ride more and more gravel, bwr sounds like a ton of fun.

On a related note, I bought a backpacking tent today for the summer hiking season. But I think I want to try out some bike packing at some point in the near future. Preferably staying off the paved roads as much as possible. Should be a cool way to get good aerobic miles in, especially if I can convince people to come along and drink beer with me at the end of the days.
Old 05-06-19, 10:19 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
As I ride more and more gravel, bwr sounds like a ton of fun.

On a related note, I bought a backpacking tent today for the summer hiking season. But I think I want to try out some bike packing at some point in the near future. Preferably staying off the paved roads as much as possible. Should be a cool way to get good aerobic miles in, especially if I can convince people to come along and drink beer with me at the end of the days.
Every year I lament not doing BWR, and a list of other events I've put off. The one thing I learned from watching the videos and seeing strava results is don't expect to 'win' anything, AG, etc. Too many people, too much talent, and too much randomness.

Hopefully this year I'll get to do the Everest Challenge; that's another one I've wanted to do.
Old 05-07-19, 12:13 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

3x8min of hell yesterday. I managed. 2 x 3x2min at 350 today. I managed. The feeling of stagnation isn't really true, I think I just keep moving the goalposts and need to pay more attention.

Hopefully tonight I'll do some Z1/Z2 aero/Chung method testing in a little dip in the road near the house.

Going to see if I can isolate any benefit to hands on top when the roads are good versus hands on the bars when the roads are bad (time trial).

I may toss in runs with some head position stuff too. I'm thinking my position is now pretty darn good, but helmet might be a mismatch. I may see if I can borrow an Aerohead or Kask style to do a comparison to my Giro Adv. 2 lid.
Old 05-07-19, 03:20 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Leg day on Sunday, had a minor cold and squats were weak. Did some partial nordic curls with band assist, and now my hamstrings are sore.
Chest and shoulders on Monday, feeling better. Still adding weight to the bar on a calorie deficit.

4x6 w 2' RBI today. Slightly higher power, but also very difficult and lung intensive on the final one.
Old 05-08-19, 11:42 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
2x15' by feel this morning, at 98 and then 101%, followed by some SST into work. I had planned on 20's but got a bit of a late start.

Although "the softwares" say I'm not too fatigued, my mind (and therefore my body) is still a bit worn from the BWR last weekend. The current plan is to push through the week with commuting + a track workout (madison) tomorrow, then a group road ride Sat morning and MTB ride Sat afternoon. Then taking it easy next week!

Hopefully I'll get a nice little aerobic boost with my efforts that will help carry me through the summer, or track/MTB/whatever/fun season. I think I'll have some form and that it will be relaxing to not train and race if I don't want to. But go fast if I do!

Last edited by TMonk; 05-08-19 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 12:07 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
I did a couple of track workouts last week and this week is a rest week. The track workouts seem much harder. I suspect because my coach was there and I was on the motor doing drills or he had the automatic timer set up on the pursuit line beeping out lap times.
Old 05-08-19, 12:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
2x15' by feel this morning, at 98 and then 101%, followed by some SST into work. I had planned on 20's but got a bit of a late start.

Although "the softwares" say I'm not too fatigued, my mind (and therefore my body) is still a bit worn from the BWR last weekend. The current plan is to push through the week with commuting + a track workout (madison) tomorrow, then a group road ride Sat morning and MTB ride Sat afternoon. Then taking it easy next week!

Hopefully I'll get a nice little aerobic boost with my efforts that will help carry me through the summer, or track/MTB/whatever/fun season. I think I'll have some form and that it will be relaxing to not train and race if I don't want to. But go fast if I do!
Similar feeling. TP says I'm at -5 but my fatigue feels like 3 times that. We put on our race last weekend, so I was up at 4:30 both days, raced twice both days, and then stayed to marshal corners, tear-down. Just easy commuted Monday and Tuesday. Today I rode the FG for 90' before work at a recovery pace.

The encouraging thing was that felt like I had a little fitness snapping into place Sunday. Got off the front a couple times in the M3/4 race. Couldn't make it stick, but was fun to try to be an animator.
Likes For caloso:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.