Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sunglasses HELP!

Old 11-24-20, 04:01 AM
taz6656

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunglasses HELP!

Hi all, I'm about to invest in my first pair of cycling sunglasses after taking up riding in the UK during lockdown. The majority of my rides are on towpaths, alongside canals and a mix of being in shaded areas and in bright sunshine. But with the typical British weather I need something that will also work in overcast conditions. I don't want to have to change lenses so do I go for a photochromic lens or look at something like the Oakley Prizm Trail Torch - would the latter be any good in overcast conditions? Any suggestions of makes and advice would be much appreciated. Also looking at Bolle Lightshifter photochromic Phantom glasses if anyone has any experience with these? Many thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-20, 06:53 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by taz6656
Hi all, I'm about to invest in my first pair of cycling sunglasses after taking up riding in the UK during lockdown. The majority of my rides are on towpaths, alongside canals and a mix of being in shaded areas and in bright sunshine. But with the typical British weather I need something that will also work in overcast conditions. I don't want to have to change lenses so do I go for a photochromic lens or look at something like the Oakley Prizm Trail Torch - would the latter be any good in overcast conditions? Any suggestions of makes and advice would be much appreciated. Also looking at Bolle Lightshifter photochromic Phantom glasses if anyone has any experience with these? Many thanks in advance.
That lens will be excellent in overcast conditions.
Old 11-24-20, 07:06 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I have the Oakley photochromic lenses, prizm road, and the prizm trail.

I live in Portland, Oregon, and commute year round. For my commutes, I use the photochromic almost exclusively. The only exceptions are in the summer when it is reliably sunny, sunrise is before 6AM and sets at 9PM - Prizm Road for those days.

Both the Prizm Trail and Photochromic are great for cloudy conditions. I primarily use the Prizm Trail if I am going to spend a lot of time off road, or a lot of time in canopy, where I frequently go from sun to shade. I also use them if I am going to be in canopy on a cloudy day.

The Photochromic is what I take if I am leaving before dark, returning after dark, or I am going to be in partly sunny conditions. The photochromic lens goes from nearly clear to a light grey. You can use them in the dark, or in full sun. While a dark polarized lens (or Prizm Road) is more comfortable in full sun, the Photochromic is just dark enough to be acceptable for me. There are a couple of downsides of the Photochromic. The first is that they are relatively slow to change from light to dark and vice-versa. They are not going to adjust quickly when riding in and out of canopy in bright sun. They adjust to what I would call the average condition. I actually like this.

The second downside to the photochromic is that they are completely useless for driving. They adjust to darkness with UV light, and automotive glass removes most UV light. Even in bright sun, they will not darken if you are in the car.

If I could only have one lens for riding in my climate (300 cloudy days per year), it would be the photochromic. While I love my Prism trail for gravel rides and mountain biking, and the Prism Roam for road rides on one of the 60 sunny days per year, the photochromic is the only one that I can ride comfortably in the dark, but still be comfortable in full sun.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 11-24-20, 07:11 AM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
I have some expensive photochromic glasses for fly fishing. Polarized lenses are a must for seeing fish. I also go for glass lenses as thy are more scratch resistant, though can break. So, I am willing to spend because it makes a difference.

I’ve gone the other direction with cycling glasses. I’ve had Bolle and Oakleys in previous iterations, but now find I’m not missing anything with much less expensive Tifosi glasses with photochromic lenses that are not polarized. They don’t get perfectly clear in overcast conditions so I do have clear lenses (19 bucks) that I use rarely. I suspect you’ll have that issue with any photochromic lenses. I don’t feel I’m missing anything even on those all day rides. I’m eager to see what others say.
Old 11-24-20, 07:31 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have Rudy Project. They go from clear to really dark quickly.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-24-20, 08:04 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Photochromic lenses don’t change very fast, so they aren’t helpful for going in and out of shadows, but they can be useful for leaving when it’s dark and adjusting as the sun comes up (or leaving in daylight and returning at dark). A lot of times they also don’t get as dark as non-photosensitive lenses.

I’ve had the best luck with 80% amber lenses. They let enough light through to see just before dawn and still provide relief after the sun comes up. A blue mirror coating will make them a little darker, providing more bright light protection at the expense of pre-dawn visibility.
Old 11-24-20, 08:51 AM
taz6656

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Thank you Koyote for replying - appreciate your comments.
Old 11-24-20, 09:03 AM
taz6656

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I have the Oakley photochromic lenses, prizm road, and the prizm trail.

I live in Portland, Oregon, and commute year round. For my commutes, I use the photochromic almost exclusively. The only exceptions are in the summer when it is reliably sunny, sunrise is before 6AM and sets at 9PM - Prizm Road for those days.

Both the Prizm Trail and Photochromic are great for cloudy conditions. I primarily use the Prizm Trail if I am going to spend a lot of time off road, or a lot of time in canopy, where I frequently go from sun to shade. I also use them if I am going to be in canopy on a cloudy day.

The Photochromic is what I take if I am leaving before dark, returning after dark, or I am going to be in partly sunny conditions. The photochromic lens goes from nearly clear to a light grey. You can use them in the dark, or in full sun. While a dark polarized lens (or Prizm Road) is more comfortable in full sun, the Photochromic is just dark enough to be acceptable for me. There are a couple of downsides of the Photochromic. The first is that they are relatively slow to change from light to dark and vice-versa. They are not going to adjust quickly when riding in and out of canopy in bright sun. They adjust to what I would call the average condition. I actually like this.

The second downside to the photochromic is that they are completely useless for driving. They adjust to darkness with UV light, and automotive glass removes most UV light. Even in bright sun, they will not darken if you are in the car.

If I could only have one lens for riding in my climate (300 cloudy days per year), it would be the photochromic. While I love my Prism trail for gravel rides and mountain biking, and the Prism Roam for road rides on one of the 60 sunny days per year, the photochromic is the only one that I can ride comfortably in the dark, but still be comfortable in full sun.
Lots of food for thought aggiegrads - thanks for taking the time to reply!
Old 11-24-20, 09:04 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Thank you Koyote for replying - appreciate your comments.
Now that I've had my morning coffee, allow me to give a bit more info.

I have the Prizm Trail, which is almost identical to the Prizm Trail Torch that you are considering. The tint is light enough to be useful in light-to-heavy overcast conditions which are common in winter time around here, or off-road under tree cover. The lens has a pink-ish tint which punches up the contrast, and that also helps in flat lighting -- makes the road surface easier to read for potholes and such.

If there is one knock on the lens, it's that it is not quite dark enough for bright full sunlight - though it's usable, it is not optimal. But if you need a darker lens for such conditions, you can buy a Black Iridium lens and swap it in...It's generally about the cheapest replacement lens that Oakley sells.

And by the way, I've owned various brands, but only buy Oakley for riding glasses now. Top quality and durable.
Old 11-24-20, 09:17 AM
taz6656

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jleeg
I have some expensive photochromic glasses for fly fishing. Polarized lenses are a must for seeing fish. I also go for glass lenses as thy are more scratch resistant, though can break. So, I am willing to spend because it makes a difference.

I’ve gone the other direction with cycling glasses. I’ve had Bolle and Oakleys in previous iterations, but now find I’m not missing anything with much less expensive Tifosi glasses with photochromic lenses that are not polarized. They don’t get perfectly clear in overcast conditions so I do have clear lenses (19 bucks) that I use rarely. I suspect you’ll have that issue with any photochromic lenses. I don’t feel I’m missing anything even on those all day rides. I’m eager to see what others say.
Funnily enough jleeg the Tifosi are the first photochromic glasses I looked at due to the impressive reviews and price. Do you have the smoke or high speed red?
Old 11-24-20, 09:18 AM
taz6656

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I have Rudy Project. They go from clear to really dark quickly.
Thanks Glenn! Any particular model you would suggest I look at? Thanks for your comments!
Old 11-24-20, 09:24 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I recently discovered a whole new category of biking sunglasses. Safety glasses. They are wraparound with minimal frames that are adjustable in several ways, come in various tints, and are dirt cheap--most less than $7! There are varieties that look just like sunglasses. Also, they come in anti-fog versions and it really does work. I have clear for night, yellow for dusk, and for sun I prefer the more lightly-tinted ones for the reason you are asking: they're good in both sun and shade. And that's my recommendation: whatever you get, don't get anything darker that you absolutely need and you will find it good in most lighting situations.
In the US, a good brand and my favorite style is the Pyramex Rendevous ($2.79!) Lose them, break them, get tired of them . . . at that price it really doesn't matter.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/B...ridPageIndex=2
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 11-24-20, 09:49 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Thanks Glenn! Any particular model you would suggest I look at? Thanks for your comments!
https://www.rudyproject.com/ww/en/pr...ear/rydon.html
Clear - I have prescription additional lenses, they are optional.

Dark
Old 11-24-20, 10:02 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Tifosi makes some very nice photochromatic sunglasses and they are nowhere near as expensive as some of the one's mentioned. You may want to look into them, as well.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 11-24-20, 10:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I would suggest blue block polaroid sun glasses.
Old 11-24-20, 12:38 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
Smoke
Old 11-24-20, 01:11 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I like the Tifosi Seek line. Having no frame at the top of the lens allows you to see more of the road ahead while you're head is down, in an aero position.

https://www.tifosioptics.com/product...c-matte-black/
Old 11-24-20, 03:11 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I would suggest blue block polaroid sun glasses.
Polaroid? They take self-developing photos too?

Am I the only one that thinks it's funny when someone posts a thread with a title like this? All or mostly caps and a bunch of !!! ? Like their life depends on getting an answer asap.
Old 11-24-20, 05:24 PM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I bought these about 2 months ago
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clothing/oakley-radar-ev-path-sunglasses-matte-black-prizm-road/11373333.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&shoppingpid=spend_and_save_v2&&th g_ppc_campaign=71700000073341592&gclid=CjwKCAiA-_L9BRBQEiwA-bm5fhuczfV1FlQf7fe8gFbLnPrTwJ7v3U2dnUvi6sUDVQT2r498J7IOVxoCFEsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
have worn them every ride, in all conditions, most comfortable glasses I've ever had. Lenses have performed well in all conditions, best 100 quid I've spent in a long time!
Old 11-24-20, 06:19 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
vote for photochromatics

Tend to agree with aggiegrad . Have a set of Oakleys photochromatic lenses that tend to be so versatile I wear them often in all but the high and bright sunny days of summer. Just recently was telling the wife it was one of my best investments in cycling. Being older my eyes dry out easily so I tend to never ride without glasses and these are just so versatile. Good luck in your decision.
Old 11-24-20, 07:20 PM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
I recently discovered a whole new category of biking sunglasses. Safety glasses. They are wraparound with minimal frames that are adjustable in several ways, come in various tints, and are dirt cheap--most less than $7! There are varieties that look just like sunglasses. Also, they come in anti-fog versions and it really does work. I have clear for night, yellow for dusk, and for sun I prefer the more lightly-tinted ones for the reason you are asking: they're good in both sun and shade. And that's my recommendation: whatever you get, don't get anything darker that you absolutely need and you will find it good in most lighting situations.
In the US, a good brand and my favorite style is the Pyramex Rendevous ($2.79!) Lose them, break them, get tired of them . . . at that price it really doesn't matter.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/B...ridPageIndex=2
A couple years ago I started doing the same, except I splurge and get the $10-20 deluxe safety sunglasses from a big box store.
I recently found safety reading glasses, so for night rides I now use those and get the magnification I would ordinarily get from my regular readers.
Old 11-24-20, 07:32 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I really like, though maybe this is nose and face-fit dependent, the Smith brand glasses. If I was picking up a new pair, I'd be probably getting something like the below for your conditions, in the Opal Blue maybe
https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/su...UNGLASSES.html
Old 11-25-20, 03:51 PM
taz6656

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pattrick
Tend to agree with aggiegrad . Have a set of Oakleys photochromatic lenses that tend to be so versatile I wear them often in all but the high and bright sunny days of summer. Just recently was telling the wife it was one of my best investments in cycling. Being older my eyes dry out easily so I tend to never ride without glasses and these are just so versatile. Good luck in your decision.
Cheers Patrick for your help.
Old 11-25-20, 03:53 PM
taz6656

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ted_major
Photochromic lenses don’t change very fast, so they aren’t helpful for going in and out of shadows, but they can be useful for leaving when it’s dark and adjusting as the sun comes up (or leaving in daylight and returning at dark). A lot of times they also don’t get as dark as non-photosensitive lenses.

I’ve had the best luck with 80% amber lenses. They let enough light through to see just before dawn and still provide relief after the sun comes up. A blue mirror coating will make them a little darker, providing more bright light protection at the expense of pre-dawn visibility.
thanks Ted
Old 11-25-20, 03:55 PM
taz6656

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that I've had my morning coffee, allow me to give a bit more info.

I have the Prizm Trail, which is almost identical to the Prizm Trail Torch that you are considering. The tint is light enough to be useful in light-to-heavy overcast conditions which are common in winter time around here, or off-road under tree cover. The lens has a pink-ish tint which punches up the contrast, and that also helps in flat lighting -- makes the road surface easier to read for potholes and such.

If there is one knock on the lens, it's that it is not quite dark enough for bright full sunlight - though it's usable, it is not optimal. But if you need a darker lens for such conditions, you can buy a Black Iridium lens and swap it in...It's generally about the cheapest replacement lens that Oakley sells.

And by the way, I've owned various brands, but only buy Oakley for riding glasses now. Top quality and durable.
Glad you got your caffeine fix! Cheers for the extra details.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.